the modern distiller

Packing

Packing

Postby bodhammer » Sat May 11, 2013 6:33 am

Hi All,

I have a 3" column with a 12" and a 20" section. I bought a 30' roll of copper mesh. I cut it in two 15' lengths before I read that 10' lengths are right roll size. What I did last week was run in pot still mode and I just put a single 15' length rolled in a cone and put the narrow section pointed down thinking that it would drip down the center better. I want to run in full column mode now. Should I use two cones or three rolls (10' + 10' + 2x5'). I do have 4 copper scrubbies as well.

TIA,
Bod
bodhammer

Re: Packing

Postby Troppo » Sat May 11, 2013 7:19 am

more info required

what are you trying to make

if your after flavour the least amount of packing the better

and if your after nuetral you probably will need more
Troppo

Postby Nake » Mon May 20, 2013 7:28 am

Bod,
If you need more packing. Try lava rock(scoria) it way cheaper. Use the copper to hold the rock in the column. I started with all copper and found it to be fickle. Couldn't get the same result twice. Choking problems which slowed takeoff. I switched to lava rock and my runs are more consistent can run harder and get faster takeoff speeds. I use sst scrubbers to hold the rock in the column currently but use copper mesh as well. Good luck

Nake
3"Potstill
3" VM
3" VM Splitter
4" hybrid
Nake

Postby bodhammer » Tue May 21, 2013 11:25 am

Thanks,

I did get another 20' of mesh and my nephew has a front yard full of lava rock. I will try both.
bodhammer

Postby Holy Bear » Tue May 21, 2013 11:43 am

I've never tried lava rock. But for me 11' works right for stainless 3". To test if it is the right density, suck on the output (when not attached to boiler) it should feel like a cigar, a little bit of resistance... (don't forget to close yer vent if ya have one...)
" Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" Patrick Henry, March 20, 1775
Holy Bear

Return to Reflux & Packed Column