the modern distiller

my bok

my bok

Postby Googe » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:46 pm

Was went to work my rdo today but thought, stuff it... So, I've always wanted to build a bok, just because. So I thought stuff it I'm in a building mood . my God ya can't get a more simple.build!!. This one has something different inside that I will share after some more experimenting. After watching the drops SLOWLY come.out... I went and cuddled my bubbler and cherished the 2lph it gives me

packing, running on gas with a sugar wash around 10%. can anyone give me an idea of ABV I could expect?. It pulled around 93~90%. Thanks for any feedback.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Googe

Re: my bok

Postby Linny » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:44 pm

I'm thinking of making a boka.. Haven't had a good neutral out of my bubbler yet... Though with 5 plates I only get 86%
Linny

Postby emptyglass » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:10 am

All I can say is get a comfy seat.

You'll need it.
My page
Making stuff for members
emptyglass

Location: Usually the shed, sometimes the cellar. Central Vic, Australia.

Postby rossco » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:13 am

Can anyone give me an idea of ABV I could expect?. It pulled around 93~90%. Thanks for any feedback

ABV will depend on the length of column relative to its diameter and the type of packing.
My 2" is 1.2 meters and my 3" is 2 meters. Both do 96%.
Yours looks a bit short, however you could use some scoria rock for packing to help it out.

Or you could stick a couple of plates under it for a real sweet neutral. If you do make sure to leave plenty of space between the plates and the packing.

Haven't had a good neutral out of my bubbler yet... Though with 5 plates I only get 86%

Last vodka run I got 22litres 94-89% using 5 plates and 12 inches of scoria. Vodka is nice too (birdwatchers stripped x3).
So it is possible, I think the wash needs to be really neutral because bubblers do carry over more flavour.

Rossco
rossco

Postby Googe » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:38 am

That sounds lowish Linny, I get 90~93% from only 3 plates!. Don't worry empty, I have no desire to have this as a operating still, I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than watch them tiny drips! :lol: . This is just a base for some experiments I want to do. Thanks rosco :handgestures-thumbupright: . Sorry, I don't know what happened to my original post I types but this one doesn't make sense! :confusion-shrug: . I'll start again, it's 1.5" dia, 470mm long, has no packing. What I'm asking is, with the still like this using a 10% sugar wash, would I expect 90~93% ?. I should have run it without the addition I put in to get a base ABV, so I could see if improvements I make are working :angry-banghead: .
Googe

Postby rossco » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:53 pm

Googe if you don't run packing it should be basically a pot. Spud even makes a similar design with his typical 45degree offset and a coldfinger condenser at the top. I recon you will get round 75 max from it. :grin:

Rossco
rossco

Postby Googe » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:17 pm

. Thanks rosco, didn't really think of it as a pot cause of the reflux!, your right though. A pot with a little reflux. Thats good to know, cause my innards idea gained almost 20abv without packing :grin: . I'm pumped to try some tweaking now :-). Ive basically got another tube inside thats just a tad smaller than the outer tube that is capped and forces rising vapor into the small gap between the tubes, with some additional things, I was hoping the small gap would act as a refining area, seems to be working!.
Googe

Return to Reflux & Packed Column