the modern distiller

2" VM and SPP

2" VM and SPP

Postby Runningman » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:28 pm

Hi Guys
Any of you guys running a 2" VM with SPP. Just wondering what the maximum take off speeds and running temperatures are say on a 25 litre 40% low wines run. Any info greatly appreciated.
Regards
Runningman
Runningman

Re: 2" VM and SPP

Postby myles » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:23 am

Rule of thumb is 115 watts per cm squared of cross sectional area in the column, so you are probably looking at a max of 2.5 or 2.6 kW.

If you are going for the max it would be worth including a buffer zone above the SPP, as at high velocities there is an issue of droplets of liquid being blown out of the packing.

You might wish to consider increasing to a 3" column and reducing the vapour speed. This is compensated for by the greater throughput from the wider column.

Its like comparing a porsche to a muscle car. Both can do the same speed, but one is going flat out and the other is cruising.
myles

Postby Runningman » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:55 am

Hi Myles
Thanks for that. Are you sure re the 2.5 - 2.6 kw. that's a lot. Mine seems to be choking when I go over1.5 kw. that's why I'm asking the question.
Regards
Runningman
Runningman

Postby Odin » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:50 am

2.5 KW max, maybe 2 KW optimal.

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Odin

Postby myles » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:04 am

+1 As Odin says.

Whilst you can push any column to its theoretical max you then really do need to think about things like reflux splitting.

As you said, your column starts to choke. Well 1 solution to that is to divert some of the reflux directly back to the boiler, by-passing the column completely.

Whether you think it is worth the extra hassle is up to you. You can get the same product rate from a wider column that is running slower and is a lot more stable. I personally think it is more trouble than it is worth to really push the performance boundaries. A wider column, shorter than its optimum (say 12 x dia) - but just ticking over comfortably, seems to be the way to go IMO.
myles

Postby Runningman » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:37 am

Hi Myles
You say possibly move up to a 3". If I up to 3" would I have to convert the 2" tri clamp connector on my boiler or will a reducer from 3" to 2" be sufficient.
Regards
RM
Runningman

Postby DrWho » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:33 am

:greetings-wavingyellow:

54 mm (2") LM/VM here with SPP. I run at 2 KW with low wines in the 25 - 30% range. The column floods at about 2.6KW, so with 2KW being 80% of that value it works very well. Flooding the column once reflux starts is helpful. It drives the last of the air out of the packing and evenly wets it.

At the beginning of the run I pull 2 to 2.1L an hour. At the mid-point need to start slowing it down. There is a thermometer at the take off and at the 2/3's up point. Watching those lets me know how fast I can take product off.

As for flooding and additional information see this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=211&start=20

???
DrWho

Postby myles » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:29 pm

Runningman wrote:Hi Myles
You say possibly move up to a 3". If I up to 3" would I have to convert the 2" tri clamp connector on my boiler or will a reducer from 3" to 2" be sufficient.
Regards
RM

You can do either. Easiest option is to keep the 2" clamp and use a 2" to 3" reducer. I just recently found a no-weld 3" keg option that I might use in the future.

If you are going to weld though I would suggest instead that you fit a 4" or even a 6" flange to the keg and connect an appropriate blanking cap (drilled) to the bottom of your column. If you are going to weld anyway you might as well put in a decent size hole that you can get your hand in through.

I try to avoid welding but that is just because it is difficult to get done where I am.
myles

Return to Reflux & Packed Column