the modern distiller

reflux still

reflux still

Postby booger » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:44 am

Im just starting out. I have my 15 gallon keg. Just need to get Ferrell's welded on. I have 2 on top for temp. 2 on bottom, 1 for a drain and 1 for heating element, if i choose..i have a 4 foot relux, and my mentor is adding a 1 and 1/2 for packing. I believe its a 2".

Im really looking forward to fire this thing up. I have 4lbs. Of turbo yeast and lots of sugar.
I am really looking for a good recipe for this
Till that is quick and easy. Im looking for a good taste shine.

The recipe i have is 18 lbs. Of sugar 6 gallons of water and a pack of yeast.
Please help.. I think im gonna be wasting alot of sugar and at a cost of taste. Sure his proof is thru the roof, but it will take ur breath away and burn ur mouth.

Thanks..bentvalve
booger

Re: reflux still

Postby edwatters » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:53 am

Go to the recipe section, lots of quick recipes, that is way too much sugar
It always tastes like it smells
edwatters

Postby teddysad » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:27 pm

I think you will be disappointed

That is far too much sugar and the turbo yeast despite any instructions will almost certainly give a crap result
I suggest A TPW to start and Dont use the Turbo stuff except in a cleaning run which you should NOT drink
teddysad

Postby DAD » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:40 am

I won't exceed 2 lbs of sugar to a gallon of water...and six gallon ferment is less than half a keg's worth. If your fermentor is only six gallons, do two...
2 lbs of sugar per gallon, some vitamins and baker's yeast will give you a ferment of about 12-14% ABV...any higher than that and you invite off tastes.
DAD

Postby the Doctor » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:43 am

Please look at some of the tried and true recipes....turbo yeast and too much sugar and the desire to maximise the ethanol...is a formula for disaster. You will be making paint stripper not "good taste shine" as was your intention. Take the time to read the online recipes, especially the TPW recipe... If making industrial solvents is not what you intend. If you drink your product without a basic knowledge of the processes, it can do your body damage... The minimum knowledge is an understanding of the concept of cutting...you must understand about A. Foreshots, Heads, hearts, tails etc.... B. be patient, there is nothing more discouraging than failure, and nothing more dangerous than drinking your failure. Please take a few more days and do some online research, be it here or on one of the many other forums and resources. C. Ask questions, there are legions of capable distillers who will give gladly their time to assist. If you do this you will take the right steps to assure yourself a good outcome. We are here to help on that journey, one step at a time. Take care.
Doc
[color=#00BF00]The Muppet who made this mess!
the Doctor

Postby booger » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:17 am

Oh, for sure.. Im trying to read as much as i can. Thats why im here
. I figured that that recipe was out there. but, i did already buy the turbo yeast. A few gent have directed me to the tpw. I do believe thats what im going to work with.. I did just get my 15 gallon keg down to get all welded up.. Progress!!!
Booger.
booger

Return to Reflux & Packed Column