the modern distiller

4" column insulation

4" column insulation

Postby drinkingdog » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:19 am

For those who are running a 4" packed column what are you using for insulation for it. Now that I have a few runs under my belt running my plated column I am wanting to use my 36" packed section and try to make that ultimate neutral. Looking for some good suggestions that don't cost an arm and a leg, don't involve fiberglass, and can be removable when needed.
My Grandpa used to say don't argue with an idiot because, he will just drag you down to his level then beat you with experience. DD
User avatar
drinkingdog
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:28 am

Re: 4" column insulation

Postby JayD » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:12 am

We use air conditioning insulation that just happed to be for 4" tubing and to top it off the owners gave it to us.
JayD
 
Posts: 1534
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 8:58 pm
Location: Tasmania, home of world class Whiskey...

Re: 4" column insulation

Postby acfixer69 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:35 am

I use a double wrap of refletix from Home depot with duct tape on a 36" SS lava rock section on my 4" plated column with only a 1 plate at the bottom unwraped to watch reflux level and adjust heat input.

AC
User avatar
acfixer69
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:13 am
Location: CT USA

Re: 4" column insulation

Postby res » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:57 pm

I about to wrap my boiler in Armaflex, should work well for a column as well :handgestures-thumbupright:
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.
Winston Churchill
User avatar
res
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:24 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: 4" column insulation

Postby drinkingdog » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:48 am

acfixer69 wrote:I use a double wrap of refletix from Home depot with duct tape on a 36" SS lava rock section on my 4" plated column with only a 1 plate at the bottom unwraped to watch reflux level and adjust heat input.

AC

You might want to check the temperature range for that insulation. If I read right it is only good for 180f
My Grandpa used to say don't argue with an idiot because, he will just drag you down to his level then beat you with experience. DD
User avatar
drinkingdog
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:28 am

Re: 4" column insulation

Postby acfixer69 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:12 am

drinkingdog wrote:
acfixer69 wrote:I use a double wrap of refletix from Home depot with duct tape on a 36" SS lava rock section on my 4" plated column with only a 1 plate at the bottom unwraped to watch reflux level and adjust heat input.

AC

You might want to check the temperature range for that insulation. If I read right it is only good for 180f


I had read that -60f to 180f but only after wrapping my electric heated keg w/two 5500 elements and making a couple of runs with it on. I ran the column to 190f-200f to tails. It still looks good and and is flexible. :confusion-shrug:

AC
User avatar
acfixer69
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:13 am
Location: CT USA

Re: 4" column insulation

Postby drinkingdog » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:25 pm

acfixer69 wrote:
drinkingdog wrote:
acfixer69 wrote:I use a double wrap of refletix from Home depot with duct tape on a 36" SS lava rock section on my 4" plated column with only a 1 plate at the bottom unwraped to watch reflux level and adjust heat input.

AC

You might want to check the temperature range for that insulation. If I read right it is only good for 180f


I had read that -60f to 180f but only after wrapping my electric heated keg w/two 5500 elements and making a couple of runs with it on. I ran the column to 190f-200f to tails. It still looks good and and is flexible. :confusion-shrug:

AC


I would say that the manufacturer for liability reasons have rated it at that to cover their butt. Truth be known might go to 250f and all be fine. Then again if it melts catches fire and burns your house down you shouldn't be able to sue them. If we are watching our rigs like we should we shouldn't have to worry about burning down the house.
My Grandpa used to say don't argue with an idiot because, he will just drag you down to his level then beat you with experience. DD
User avatar
drinkingdog
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:28 am

Re: 4" column insulation

Postby acfixer69 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:20 am

AC[/quote]
You might want to check the temperature range for that insulation. If I read right it is only good for 180f[/quote]

I had read that -60f to 180f but only after wrapping my electric heated keg w/two 5500 elements and making a couple of runs with it on. I ran the column to 190f-200f to tails. It still looks good and and is flexible. :confusion-shrug:

AC[/quote]

I would say that the manufacturer for liability reasons have rated it at that to cover their butt. Truth be known might go to 250f and all be fine. Then again if it melts catches fire and burns your house down you shouldn't be able to sue them. If we are watching our rigs like we should we shouldn't have to worry about burning down the house.[/quote]

Insulation works both ways if you had 180f+ ambient and a need for cool product this will not hold the R value. Also I would not use this on a gas heated burner with open flame but the operating temps are working for me.

AC
User avatar
acfixer69
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:13 am
Location: CT USA

Re: 4" column insulation

Postby midcarolina » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:25 am

Most use armourflex or reflectix................ to insulate columns, also most A/C supply houses sell sheet armorflex in varying thickness and square foot..... that way you could make your own diameter insulation depending on what you have.
Three can keep a secret..........if TWO are dead!!
User avatar
midcarolina
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:04 am
Location: The Palmetto State

Re: 4" column insulation

Postby drinkingdog » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:28 am

I ended up getting kflex which is pretty much the same as Armaflex in everything. Temps are good up to 220F more than hot enough. At 25.00 for a 36 * 48 * 1\2 sheet not overly expensive. One sheet is perfect for 3 layers.
My Grandpa used to say don't argue with an idiot because, he will just drag you down to his level then beat you with experience. DD
User avatar
drinkingdog
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:28 am


Return to Reflux & Packed Column

  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest