the modern distiller

Reflux column vs pot still stripping run

Reflux column vs pot still stripping run

Postby BoisBlancBou » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:31 am

Is there much of a difference between stripping runs between the two stills?
BoisBlancBou

Re: Reflux column vs pot still stripping run

Postby Bushman » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:36 am

Usually there is no need for a stripping run with a Reflux still!
I started my liquid diet and so far it seems to be working! I've already lost two days.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
Bushman

Postby BoisBlancBou » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:51 am

Ok but if I did do it, what would the difference be?
BoisBlancBou

Postby myles » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:54 pm

The biggest issue IMO is the condenser. The product condenser on your reflux still should be appropriately sized for the power level that you expect to use during a normal reflux run.

It is reasonable to expect that you would use more power on a stripping run. The stripping / pot still head is nothing more than a condenser big enough to cope with full boiler power, and a vapour path to connect it to the boiler.
myles

Postby BoisBlancBou » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:28 pm

Myles, that makes sense. The normal condensor you build for normal reflux operations might be undersized for a more powerful stripping run.
BoisBlancBou

Postby the Doctor » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:31 am

myles wrote:The biggest issue IMO is the condenser. The product condenser on your reflux still should be appropriately sized for the power level that you expect to use during a normal reflux run.

It is reasonable to expect that you would use more power on a stripping run. The stripping / pot still head is nothing more than a condenser big enough to cope with full boiler power, and a vapour path to connect it to the boiler.

Myles I actually do my stripping runs on a pot still that I run hard ...I have fitted it with 2 product condensers with separate water feeds to give me the knockdown power I need to not loose some product to steam.
Doc
[color=#00BF00]The Muppet who made this mess!
the Doctor

Postby myles » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:56 am

I built an OTT worm condenser with 3 parallel coils of 3/8" tube, each of which is just over 20 foot long. :lol:

It was intended for a dedicate stripping pot still that I never got around to building. Perhaps one day when I get the time I may get round to building the gas fired stripping still.

I reckon the worm is good for the equivalent of 15 to 20 kW dependent on the circulation rate of the coolant through the container. In standing water it is probably OK for about 10 kW.
myles

Postby Kapea » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:09 pm

That's like asking if you can drive a road race in a dragster funny car.

One is made for controlled performance.
The other is made to go wide open, as fast as possible, straight to the finish line.
Up is away from Earth.
Down is towards Earth. :happy-bouncyshadowgreen:
Kapea

Postby myles » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:47 pm

Back to the OP's question.
You can strip with a reflux column, but some variants are easier than others. I have done it with a VM. It was a bit complicated but I had my Reflux Condenser air vent connected into the VM branch just above the Product Condenser.

That way I could turn off the coolant and use both vapour paths leading to the condenser. I found that I could not use full power because the condenser was not big enough. So it is do-able.

c6.jpg

c9.jpg

Personally I would not do so with an LM because the needle valve will often not cope with full flow.

If you have a connector just below the reflux head you can remove the head and just attach a pot still option to the top of the column. The packing does not matter because without induced reflux it very rapidly heats up, and then behaves as if it was not there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
myles

Postby BoisBlancBou » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:21 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will stick to using my pot still to do my bulk runs! No reason to re-invent the wheel.
BoisBlancBou

Postby Maheel » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:44 pm

if you have a pot use it to strip

but i reckon you can strip just as well with a refluxer if it's all you have

i would suggest a shotgun stripper as mine is a lot faster than a "normal" pot still.

if you buy a modular "blubber" then it's likely you can also make a shotgun stripper with it out of the parts
but then people will argue that you only need one run up the bubbler....
VM / Boka / ?
Shotgun Pot head
50L electric Kegs
and associated shed filling stuff......
Maheel

Postby Odin » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:51 pm

Both can be used for stripping. On a reflux, you can controll desired output abv. That's the good part. More difficult part is that (as Myles stated): you need enough cooling capacity. And that your valve needs to be handle anything sent its way, not to create unwanted reflux inside the column.

I personally feel a simple LM design is great for stripping. No need for a product cooler ...

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Odin

Return to Reflux & Packed Column