the modern distiller

glass packing?

glass packing?

Postby hnslrob » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:53 pm

Has anyone out there used glass packing ? and if so what kind did you use and what were the results> Thanks in advance for your feed back! :confusion-shrug:
hnslrob

Re: glass packing?

Postby the Doctor » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:25 am

Some have used Amorphous Volcanic glass which is the industrial name for perlite...it is used for insulation in cryogenics chambers... It works but is very light and must be restrained at both ends. I am exerimenting with it in a carter head at the moment. Cheers.
Doc
[color=#00BF00]The Muppet who made this mess!
the Doctor

Postby crozdog » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:54 pm

I recall glass marbles being used for column packing. Haven't tried them myself, so can't comment on their effectiveness. from memory there was a not so positive write up in the compleat distiller - but I may not have remembered right.

Try googling ;-)
crozdog

Postby SBB » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:45 pm

At one stage people were even using smashed windscreen glass, Thankfully we have far better options these days.
SBB

Postby emptyglass » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:57 pm

SBB wrote:At one stage people were even using smashed windscreen glass, Thankfully we have far better options these days.

I agree.
My page
Making stuff for members
emptyglass

Location: Usually the shed, sometimes the cellar. Central Vic, Australia.

Postby DAD » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:41 am

Glass marbles were once a standard as with the Charles 803 design. They lack exterior surface cohesion to get the vapor and liquid interaction. Ah...they are too solid and too slick! But they did breakup the route and slow the vapor.

Anyway, they were better than nothing and were surpassed by ceramic raschig rings, Structured packing (metal or foil widgets stacked) and then random packing (scrubbies and then SPP).

Shapes.jpg

Here's a chart for random packings. I know there is an HETP chart for marbles and Ceramic rings somewhere.

In a 2" x 39" column toy marbles will get you ~3.8 plates
6mm ceramic rings ~5.3 plates
Scrubbies/mssh ~9.9 plates
SPP ~20 plates

No one has given an HETP for lava rock yet, but it looks like it is ~15 plates per meter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DAD

Postby hnslrob » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:25 am

So the glass didn't workout so well and has since been replaced with SS scubbies, the best abv I've gotten with glass and copper crubbers is 87% and didn't put out a good neutral. The SS put out 95-96% no prob! With a very neutral flav! Thanks for everones input!
hnslrob

Postby JayD » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:35 am

We have allways used S/S scrubers and they do the job, easily found at bunningsor the reject shop to name a few shops that stock them. :handgestures-thumbupright:
JayD

Postby FullySilenced » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:45 am

rasching rings also have been used ceramic / glass ones i have even read about glass beads complete with string holes being tried ...
FullySilenced

Return to Reflux & Packed Column