the modern distiller

Are the cuts the same?

Are the cuts the same?

Postby hnslrob » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:15 am

When using a fractional still, is taking the cuts the same. same amounts? How does one go from using a simple pot still to using a column still?
:confusion-confused:
hnslrob

Re: Are the cuts the same?

Postby wv_cooker » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:09 am

A fractionating column compresses the fractions so when doing cuts no they are not the same amounts as you would have from a pot still. They are also much harder to distinguish by smell. I find that after airing if I use a little distilled water and mix in a spoon I can distinguish the cuts much easier.
wv_cooker

Postby the Doctor » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:04 am

As Cooker said there is no formula for distinguishing what is potable and what is not. The judgement of cuts is the very art of distilling and a craft worth learning. I think it prudent to be very conservative when y ou first start, but you will soon find that a good nose and palate are the best way forward. I use only hearts in our Vodka & Gin, it is simply better product. The whiskeys I delve a bit deeper into the tails, but am conservative compared to many. The fractional still is just another form of still they all work on the same principal. however the compression of the foreshots and heads will be very different, and if run correctly the smearing between heads, hearts, and tails is more distinctly defined.. Cheers.
Doc
[color=#00BF00]The Muppet who made this mess!
the Doctor

Postby SBB » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:11 pm

the Doctor wrote: The judgement of cuts is the very art of distilling and a craft worth learning.

Never truer words typed or spoken, Use your nose, your taste buds , your eyes and fingers, there is yet to be a gauge, thermometer, or other gadget invented that that will do the job as well.
Learn this art and you can run any still, anywhere , any time, with only your senses as a guide.
SBB

Return to Reflux & Packed Column