the modern distiller

A question on column operation...

A question on column operation...

Postby Zombie » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:04 am

In the "Alternative to bubble-cap" thread there is a question that came to mind, and I don't want to muddle up that thread.

As I understand column operation there is an equilibrium that is reached in temperature inside the column. Does this state carry over when you have to increase the boiler temp? Or does the column temp increase with the boiler temp?

The reason I ask is as the alcohol ratio in the boiler decreases the boiler temp must increase to extract the Alch. As you increase the boiler temp you begin getting more water, and fuesils(tails). Isn't there a way to separate these components inside the column? Perhaps a separate heating/cooling system for the column to maintain a steady state there? This stuff seems so simple but is quite complex. Thanks!

I may need to be "put down" soon.
Zombie

Re: A question on column operation...

Postby Mr. Rat » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:00 pm

There is a temperature gradient going up the column separating the higher and lower boiling point substance's as you get less and less alcohol the temperature gradient goes up with the vapor temp.
Mr. Rat

Re: A question on column operation...

Postby Zombie » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:11 pm

Thank you Mr. Rat.
I follow then that the Alch. gets less volatile as the ratio to water decreases so temp control on the column is not really the answer I am seeking for an increase in extraction efficiency.

Along with the Horizontal column I am toying with continuous distillation. Ie: vaporizing everything, and separating by temp in a column. I assume that will maintain a constant state but is still slow to separate. Appreciate the help.

I may need to be "put down" soon.
Zombie

Return to Reflux & Packed Column