the modern distiller

1st packed column run

1st packed column run

Postby hnslrob » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:37 am

Ive got my 9 gals of 35% low wines saved up and ready to run my reflux column for the first time, a little nervous. Any pointers are welcome! What to do, what not to do? what to look out for? :bow-blue: Any help would be appreciated .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hnslrob

Re: 1st packed column run

Postby jokkman » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:35 am

Nice reflux column!
I can’t see from the pics if you column is isolated but if it isn’t. I recommend to do that with just a standard pipe isolation (the one plumbers have) you get better reflux/cleaner vodka/higher prof (%) when you isolate your column. Isolate almost up to the neck (to the end of the packing inside).
I would also have some ice ready to throw in the “cooler” if the cooling water gets to warm.
Buy some beers to ;-)

God luck and don’t forget to write how it went.
I am not a complete idiot, some parts are missing....
jokkman

Postby hnslrob » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:10 am

Yes sir, I have plenty of ice. Thanks for the reply!
hnslrob

Postby jokkman » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:40 pm

I almost forgot, get a bunch of 0.5-1.0 liters glass jars to. And number them 1,2,3,4….
You can calculate how many you need to collect to your spirits in. I don’t know the size of your kittle so I can’t say how many jars you need, but 10liters 30% “low wines”~ 3 liters spirits totally. You also calculate how much head, heart, tail it would be in you run.
After you have thrown away the “fore shot” start to collect in 0,5 liters jar nr1 and keep changing the jars until you clearly can smell/taste the heart. Change to 1 liters jars …. Continue until you think you have all heart (just little less than the calculated amount of heart), change to 0,5 liters jars and change jars until you clearly smell/taste the tail. Now you easily can determine what to save or not. You also learn how the still delivers, head, heart, tail. You can now measure head, heart, tail and the next run you know the size of your jars. Its also good to do this in smaller jars because if you miss the tail with a couple cl it can make your heart get “infected” (if you going for neutral) but if you have several glass jars just the last one is “infected” with tail.
I am not a complete idiot, some parts are missing....
jokkman

Return to Reflux & Packed Column