the modern distiller

Build new still need advise

Build new still need advise

Postby glenncol » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:33 pm

Hi all

I am putting this up one behalf of a friend as he seems to be having issues registering on the forum and he is wanting to start this as soon as he can.

The idea is to build a combo VM\LM 3" colum

glenncol

Re: Build new still need advise

Postby glenncol » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:40 pm

The idea is 3" column to 3" to 2" tee going to the VM control tap, then to liebig

I suppose the questions are
Will this work?
Are any changes needed?
glenncol

Postby Rockchucker » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:32 am

It seems your LM collection area is huge, you will get smearing and not very good reflux if this area holds too much fluid.
Rockchucker

Postby glenncol » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:18 am

Rockchucker wrote:It seems your LM collection area is huge, you will get smearing and not very good reflux if this area holds too much fluid.

Hi Rockchucker, thank you for your response

I checked with my mate and apparently he will be keeping that collection area to around the 1 ounce mark
glenncol

Postby RefluxEd » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:17 am

I'm sure it will work. The LM section will be OK as you have a valve to adjust the flow rate.
One interesting point. I made a 2 inch version of yours with a 1 inch waist and T for the VM. I could never get better than 92%ABV.
I made another for a friend but kept everything as 2 inch except for the output to the Leibig condenser. He reliably gets 95%ABV. I've checked everything on his, used my electric parrot and my hydrometers.
I don't get why it is different. The only thing I can see is that the restriction of the narrow parts has an effect.
2 inch BOKA/LM/VM
Bubbler with 14 4x3x4 inch tees and 15 bubble plates under a 4 inch section under the dephlagmator (RC).
2 inch Pot still.
2 inch to 4 inch Gin head.
2x 1.2 mtre Leibig condensors.
2 inch x 800 mm shotgun condenser.
Love it!
RefluxEd

Postby glenncol » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:21 pm

RefluxEd wrote:I'm sure it will work. The LM section will be OK as you have a valve to adjust the flow rate.
One interesting point. I made a 2 inch version of yours with a 1 inch waist and T for the VM. I could never get better than 92%ABV.
I made another for a friend but kept everything as 2 inch except for the output to the Leibig condenser. He reliably gets 95%ABV. I've checked everything on his, used my electric parrot and my hydrometers.
I don't get why it is different. The only thing I can see is that the restriction of the narrow parts has an effect.

I dont know but do you think the 1" was not enough? or maybe the ratio was not right and this design could experience the same with 3" to 2"
glenncol

Postby RefluxEd » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:29 pm

With a 3 inch to 2 inch the cross-section ratio difference is a lot less than 2 inch to 1 inch. I don't think you'll have a problem.
2 inch BOKA/LM/VM
Bubbler with 14 4x3x4 inch tees and 15 bubble plates under a 4 inch section under the dephlagmator (RC).
2 inch Pot still.
2 inch to 4 inch Gin head.
2x 1.2 mtre Leibig condensors.
2 inch x 800 mm shotgun condenser.
Love it!
RefluxEd

Return to Reflux & Packed Column