the modern distiller

My JDcarterhead build...

For Gin and the weirder and wackier ideas.

My JDcarterhead build...

Postby JayD » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:52 am

What this thread...I'm about to build a Carter Head out of copper to make vapor infused Gin, this design is not my idea, however it will be built strong,strong enough to take the side load it will place on my 6' bubbler... :handgestures-thumbupright: photo's to come soon :handgestures-thumbupright: My Respects to all that have built before me.
JayD

Location: Tasmania, home of world class Whisky...jaydboka@gmail.com, Travelling.

Re: My Carter Head build...

Postby the Doctor » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:53 pm

A word of advice JD orientate the input and the output off the same side to get the centre of gravity as close to the column as possible...this is the most common design fault I have seen, people seem to think that they should enter the vapour one side and exit the other ...this exacerbates the already high stress on the input and output tubes. By getting the carter head as close to the column as possible, you can support the weight off the main column.
Doc
[color=#00BF00]The Muppet who made this mess!
the Doctor

Postby JayD » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:13 pm

That for the advice Doc...will do, I was going to place two saddles either side to support side load along with eyelets to support it,if needed from a rafter...I posted up this thread for the very reason you gave me advice on...so I can make it properly and to share the new info back into forum that gives information so freely... :handgestures-thumbupright:
JayD

Location: Tasmania, home of world class Whisky...jaydboka@gmail.com, Travelling.

Postby the Doctor » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:32 am

getting the load sorted on the input and output was the trick for us we now have the carter head attached to the column with the weight shared by the column, works better.
Doc
[color=#00BF00]The Muppet who made this mess!
the Doctor

Postby JayD » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:56 am

I find myself thinking which way to go?? do I simply build my version of the existing carter head thats already out there? or do I change it to minimise the side load? and balance it off the centre line taking into consideration the weight of the unit??...might build both and compare? :confusion-confused: I will be thinking about this while build a couple of bubblers.
JayD

Postby Zombie » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:30 am

IMHO, if you are going to all the work of building something... Why not re-design the entire thing to eliminate the known issues?

Just a thought... Build it AROUND the column. Make an extension that sits atop your column with the carter head surrounding the extension. Maybe?

When you get the patent... Send me a gallon of Ben, and Jerry's Chunky Monkey, please...

I may need to be "put down" soon.
Zombie

Postby JayD » Mon May 04, 2015 8:10 pm

Zombie wrote:IMHO, if you are going to all the work of building something... Why not re-design the entire thing to eliminate the known issues?

Just a thought... Build it AROUND the column. Make an extension that sits atop your column with the carter head surrounding the extension. Maybe?

When you get the patent... Send me a gallon of Ben, and Jerry's Chunky Monkey, please...

Good idea Zombie however I have already thought of this...I'm just going to build my version...as long as it works and whats the point of re inventing the wheel. It will be a copper Carter Head with re enforcement's as needed so it will handle any extra loading, I will soon be posting photo's. :handgestures-thumbupright:
JayD

Postby sup-bro? » Fri May 08, 2015 1:34 pm

In line carter head?
Sup-bro?
sup-bro?

Postby JayD » Fri May 08, 2015 1:54 pm

sup bro, have a good think about what a carter head is in it's basic form??? once you have done this you realise the only purpose for the offset column is to access the botanical basket, so inline you have to have a place to collect you oils, a tap to drain of oils safely before they go back down the the column...then an outlet for the vapour but not denying access to the botanical basket with out have to shut down your boiler. so in summarising, inline thumper, dephlagmeter capable of putting the column into full reflux so no vapour leaks into the atmosphere, drain,offset outlet to collect your gin...hope helps you understand.
JayD

Postby sup-bro? » Fri May 08, 2015 8:21 pm

JayD wrote:sup bro, have a good think about what a carter head is in it's basic form???
Sounds pretty aggressive Jay
once you have done this you realise the only purpose for the offset column is to access the botanical basket, so inline you have to have a place to collect you oils, a tap to drain of oils safely before they go back down the the column...then an outlet for the vapour but not denying access to the botanical basket with out have to shut down your boiler. so in summarising, inline thumper, dephlagmeter capable of putting the column into full reflux so no vapour leaks into the atmosphere, drain,offset outlet to collect your gin...hope helps you understand.

As stated in the post I put up earlier that was removed.
Inline Carter Head is possible.
The link perhaps was an issue. :confusion-shrug:
But if you are a member of said forum - it shows an inline Carter Head is possible.

It's different and the reason for being inline is exactly what all the above posts are about.
By making it inline you no longer have the problem of it hanging off one side.
Unbalancing the column.

If you have a better design please share.
:handgestures-thumbupright:
Sup-bro?
sup-bro?

Postby JayD » Fri May 08, 2015 8:40 pm

Now you have confused me? agressive :confusion-confused: . if you mistook me trying invoke your mind in thinking what a carter head in it's basic form...there's nothing agressive about it other than to get you thinking. I put up threads on building and video's to help the hobby distillation movement not to hinder it or cause unnecessary dramas. Now we have got that out of the way we can move on...What I'm building will be my version, built in my way, however using the original concept put forward by another hobbyist but changing the balance point making it inline.

Soon I will be posting photo's of this build and your critique will be welcome as long as it take my build further or you suggest something that will change my build...I have researched the Carter head form it beginning to it's gradual integration to hobby use. Every thing I build is done by hand, unlike most other commercial builders and I build quality hand made gear.
JayD

Postby sup-bro? » Fri May 08, 2015 8:48 pm

Looks like I misread your post.

Was only trying to get the thought process along a different line.

Everyone is doing variations of a common theme.

The main issue with Carter Heads is as this thread stated.
The weight hanging off one side.
The original Carter Head design for commercial use wasn't anything like the hobby versions.

If there is a way of making it in line wouldn't that be better? :confusion-confused:

No harm done.
Looking forward to your photos. :handgestures-thumbupright:

There was no question about your build ability. :handgestures-thumbupright:
Sup-bro?
sup-bro?

Postby JayD » Tue May 12, 2015 3:36 pm

ok, here is my cartoon of my interpretation of my jdcarterhead...critque is welcome. It's going to made of 6" copper tube with re inforced outlet to my pc...it comprises of two plates, one solid except for the 3" vapour inlet which is shrouded with a 4" downcomer to form the thumper for oils and boiling liquids, oils can be drained via a 1/2 tube the drops below the bottom plate then out through the side of thumper wall as seen in my cartoon...there not going to be a botanical basket as I'm going old world with a large perforated plate that will support the botanicals in a suitable bag.access to the botanicals will via a top plate with a handle, the outlet will be re inforced by expanding 3" copper tube to fit over standard 3" tube until I feel it is strong enough to hold the weight of the 3" pc... stacking bricks,one high stress point removed another made suitably strong by adding rio rings. :handgestures-thumbupright: Edit, the lower 3" connector is for a view port to keep a eye fluid level. :handgestures-thumbupright:

carterheadjd.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JayD

Postby JayD » Fri May 15, 2015 2:59 pm

Here's some the cut pieces of copper before they start to become part of the jdcarterhead... :handgestures-thumbupright:
jdcarterhead.png

they comprise of 6" tube offcut from a build, 6" bottom plate, a 3" and 4" thumper tubes...last but not least 3" heavy walled tube for strength we intend to ezyflange both side of the 3" outlet tube for extra strength to support the 3" pc, all cu is new but left over from builds... :obscene-drinkingcheers:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JayD

Re: My JDcarterhead build...

Postby res » Fri May 15, 2015 5:33 pm

Looks the business there JD. :clap: , I've been keeping a close eye on this one, can't wait for the real deal.
I realize it's just a sketch at the moment but I'd think about raising the sight glass up the column a little to monitor the bubbling activity, You'd want to make sure you don't give the botanicals a bath. :think:
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.
Winston Churchill
res

Postby JayD » Fri May 15, 2015 6:45 pm

Thanx for the suggestion Res, it's at the stage where I can move it up, hell I might even put in two, upper and lower levels can monitored... :handgestures-thumbupright:
JayD

Postby res » Fri May 15, 2015 10:16 pm

JayD wrote:, hell I might even put in two, upper and lower levels can monitored..

Sounds purty. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.
Winston Churchill
res

Postby JayD » Fri May 15, 2015 10:53 pm

you know it's funny how one persons comment can get you thinking??? what if I make a rectangular sight glass?? mind you I'm only spit balling here but I think it might look very sexy? :obscene-drinkingcheers:
JayD

Postby res » Sat May 16, 2015 1:02 am

JayD wrote:you know it's funny how one persons comment can get you thinking??? what if I make a rectangular sight glass?? mind you I'm only spit balling here but I think it might look very sexy? :obscene-drinkingcheers:

For sure it would look ace, and have the added functionality. I wondered about it as well when I posted earlier but assumed it would be a fair bit harder.
I've always been a big fan of the go hard or go home however. ;-)
Winston Churchill
res

Postby JayD » Sat May 16, 2015 1:31 pm

JDcarterhead as discussed on EG's forum Ive posted this thread on EG's forum as I have seeked advice for the hobby carter head from the original person that kicked off all the various ideas...StubbyDrainer :handgestures-thumbupright: There has been many variations of this original idea.
JayD

Postby JayD » Sat May 16, 2015 6:02 pm

our latest effort, soldering in our large bubble cap thumper...try soldering in the column and see how easy it is to control the flow with out it all collapsing... :obscene-drinkingcheers:

tophatbucap.jpg

looking into the column...

lokincol.jpg
JayD

Postby JayD » Sat May 16, 2015 8:02 pm

the other reason I called it a cartoon, not a drawing is it can be changed to suit while I build and re think the next part to be worked...if you look at my cartoon you will notice I have holes on top in the inlet for the thumper and a raised outercap...you can see I slotted the lower cap and soldered it to the bottom plate... :obscene-drinkingcheers: I've been thinking about this build for so long it is really great to build something for myself for a change... :handgestures-thumbupright:
JayD

Postby JayD » Sun May 17, 2015 6:05 pm

Steampunk sent this diagram of my build to me, Thank you very much as I have not got the program for doing these...it does make it look very professional...having said this...and rigid in design as I have already changed my build somewhat and I'm still playing with which way to go with my sight glass :confusion-confused: If I could so bold to ask for another diagram once finished and reported on its performance, then it can be a building assets on how to build a jdcarterhead that works in this manner or way, good or bad.

rendering..png
JayD

Postby JayD » Wed May 20, 2015 9:02 pm

JayD wrote:you know it's funny how one persons comment can get you thinking??? what if I make a rectangular sight glass?? mind you I'm only spit balling here but I think it might look very sexy? :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Sourcing this rectangular sight glass might take some time, so to keep my build going i'm going with an upper and lower sight glasses... :handgestures-thumbupright:
JayD

Postby JayD » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:21 pm

here's our ezyflange, I usually fill in the side but I'm not too bothered as this is our own...

ezyflange.png

and our rectifying section...

potflangerings.png
JayD

Postby JayD » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:26 pm

We made up our minds and have chosen to go with two action ports...

actionport1.png

as seen above through the top is the botanical support perf plate...

perfsupplate.png
JayD

Postby JayD » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:39 pm

my apologises to all that was following this thread as life got in the way...so back at it soon... :obscene-drinkingcheers:
JayD

Postby JayD » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:43 pm

I just noticed this, it must be a record amount of views for a small thread. :confusion-confused:

carterheadviews.png
JayD

Return to Experimental & Infusion Gear