the modern distiller

Copper SPP

For Gin and the weirder and wackier ideas.

Copper SPP

Postby Tracker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:58 pm

I was looking to place some copper in the vapour passage of my SD plated pot still, not for refluxing purposes but for the sulphides.
I reclaimed some copper wire from old household electrical wiring and proceeded to scrunch it up into ball shapes, then thought to myself, Tracker, you can do better than this. So I proceeded to turn the straight wire into long springs, stretched them a little and cut up into little pieces.

2013-01-16 11.14.44.jpg

I think it should work a treat.
A lot neater than the scrunched up stuff.

Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StillDragon Tracker Stacker Flavour Packer v1.10
Tracker

Re: Copper SPP

Postby FullySilenced » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:05 pm

Price is right and if you subtract your labor cost... wow great idea didn't thunk of it myself but should have :mrgreen:
FullySilenced

Postby Bushman » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:05 pm

Very creative!
I started my liquid diet and so far it seems to be working! I've already lost two days.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
Bushman

Postby Rockchucker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:18 pm

You could use a small easy out to give the spp a bit more of a spiral with a prism shape.
Last edited by Rockchucker on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rockchucker

Postby FullySilenced » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:21 pm

If you wound it around some keystock... it would have corners... when you stretched it it would kinda look like manu's spp i think... an idea anyways...
FullySilenced

Postby Tracker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:53 pm

All good ideas folks but the way I made it was in a long spring. The best way to release a long spring from a mandrel is to wind it backwards to release the tension (clamping effect) from the mandrel. Square or angled mandrel sections will not work in this manner.
All of the suggested ideas would certainly work on a short mandrel (machine mounted) provided the mandrel was tapered with a smooth surface and using a reverse mandrel motion where the incoming wire feed forced the procuced coil off of the mandrel.
Major problem being my workshop is machinary challenged, I only needed a small quantity of product, so I did it by hand but, if anyone wants to turn it into a saleable item, don't ask me to do it and feel free to take on the job. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Cheers.
Tracker

Postby the Doctor » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:59 pm

JUST BRILLIANT!!!! mate what a clever idea I love it ...now I am going to be obsessed with finding some wire. You have come up with a gem here.
Doc
[color=#00BF00]The Muppet who made this mess!
the Doctor

Postby Tracker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:14 pm

Glad you approve Doc.
Plenty of old electrical wire looking for a new life. ;-)

Cheers.
Tracker

Postby rossco » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:46 pm

Good on ya tracker, recon I might have a crack at that myself.

Rossco
rossco

Postby Tracker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:58 pm

Go for it rossco, I stripped 6 meters of 3 core cable, wound the thicker active and neutral wires into the coil pieces and scrunched the thinner wire into flat pankake sections to contain the coil pieces top & bottom within a 2" pipe section, all in the space of about 2 hours or less. Start to finish.
It probably filled about 2 1/2" - 3" of column.

Cheers.
Tracker

Postby Tracker » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:40 pm

I have done a few runs now and I can tell you that when the packing is above the Depleg, everything runs as smooth as silk. When the packing is below the Dephleg, just a 3" packed section within a 2" column is enough to cause flooding problems.
My plate action slows down, then cease bubbling completely for 3 seconds or so then a volcano eruption on the plate surface errupts.
The only thing I can put it down to is the returning refluxed liquid is sufficient within the packing to prevent the upwards passage of vapour, until some of the liquid drops out, then WHOOOOSH, up she goes.
Guess who is putting the packing back above the Dephleg.

Cheers.
Tracker

Postby Prairiepiss » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:47 pm

What size wire is that? and what size mandral did you use?
I am not the distiller your were looking for!
Prairiepiss

Postby Tracker » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:05 pm

Copper wire from a 3 core 10 amp electric house wiring cable, wrapped around a piece of silver solder rod (possible 1/8" or 5/32" in size) haven't measured anything but it is all fairly small in size.
Refluxing was not my aim though, it was just to get as much copper as I could in a small area.
Copper scrubbers or copper mesh is not in plentiful supply around these parts so one must make do and above the Dephleg does the job, so that is where it will stay.

Cheers.
Tracker

Postby rossco » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:26 am

Thanks for sharing this Tracker.
I have copied your system and made some SPPs.
I still have to source more copper wire from the recyclers but I have done about 10metres so far.
Mine are bigger than yours, I had a gal nail about 1.5 mm lying around.

My intention is to use some copper mesh sewed up with fine stainless steel wire to create a pillow typed container.
That way they can be taken out and cleaned like a normal scrubber.

Cheers mate
Rossco :grin:

I gotta try this. I'm going to use a triangle file to wind mine.

Probably do a few of those as well.Thinking about an allen key.
rossco

Postby Tracker » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:40 pm

Yes, my mandrel was really small, measured it in my drill set case and it is less than 1/8", probably 5/32" in size.

The only problem I forsee in using anything other than a round profile is that if you are making really long springs, you have to let the spring un-wind slightly to remove it. Allen keys & triangle files may cause issues. If only making short springs then it will be less of a problem.

Cheers.
Tracker

Postby rossco » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:03 pm

Yeah have been pulling the spring a little to cut the individual spp. Then compressing them again with pliers.
Nearly got enough for a scrubber to sit over the plates in this Mongrel Hybrid 3" Spud Stilldragon pot still I made.
Its a bit of a laugh, when I put it together again I'll post a pic. Bit hot here in banana land today. :grin:
rossco

Postby Tracker » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:41 pm

When I left my shed at lunch time it was just on 40'C inside. I decided to leave before ot got hot.

Cheers.
Tracker

Postby VARocketry » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:20 pm

A newbie asks "What are these used for? And where?"
VARocketry

Postby lokibrew » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:31 pm

VARocketry wrote:A newbie asks "What are these used for? And where?"

search.php?keywords=spp - sort of the jerk answer.

They are used as packing in reflux columns to give massive amounts of surface area so the downward moving reflux( condensed vapor ) can interact with the upward moving vapor and evaporate purer ethanol. Lots of reading to do on column packing to understand the science of it, but thats the short answer. Also probably plenty of reading on Liquid Management ( LM ) and Vapor Management( VM ) stills, as well as the phenomenal Hybrid Stills, which have a bubble plate or thumper and then a packed column for getting neutral spirits.

me? I"m a simple pot guy, but planning a modular VM addition.
What? I have no signature? I'll fix that right away! :techie-computer:
lokibrew

Return to Experimental & Infusion Gear