the modern distiller

botanical thumper/ infusion

For Gin and the weirder and wackier ideas.

botanical thumper/ infusion

Postby granddad » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:13 am

granddad here lets try this http://imgur.com/a/mYBQU cut and paste http://2ndthumper.imgur.com
its a link for photos ok i am open to get your input

i have run cracked corn both ways thru thumper . if i have corn or sweet feed 2'' thick on botanical plate it seams to make
product smoother /less sharp flavor . my assement is every body that packs there column for reflux so i though that by adding a botanical screen it would act as packing/ flavor inhancer . as this fourm is for research&devlopment so that is what i am doing please commit on my thoughts i have no loacal hobbyist around to bounce input off from

thanks granddad
ps i forgot to say that on the spirit run i add 6 copper scrubers in the lower part of colum
Last edited by granddad on Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:24 pm, edited 8 times in total.
granddad

Re: botanical thumper/ infusion

Postby granddad » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:36 am

BigPa wrote:That looks fantastic GD..... I would love to taste some of that. BTW---how do you do that strawberry concoction on the last pic??????

once you have filterd & cut product to 80 or 100 fill jar with fresh strawberrys add 1/2 to 1 cup sugar or to taste .pour a net shine in shake jar let sit for a week with a shake every coupel of days. & taste add more sugar if needed or hooch it taste just like when gradma wood cut fresh strabery for your ice cream with a good kick !short after dinner on the rocks just dont eat to many strawberys in a row
granddad

Postby granddad » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:42 am

bentstick wrote:That is some very interesting lookin SS, and alot of fore thought to come up with that nice lookin rig,I would believe it makes a fine drop!

no thank larry i just copied his design added a twist with the plate & changed over flow because in all his vids he griped about forgeting to fill his p trap

granddad ps used his idea just from pics
granddad

Postby the Doctor » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:08 am

Grandad that thumper looks fantastic...and as for the strawberries.....that I am trying...strawberries are really cheap here at the moment....and that just looks delicious.what a winner.
[color=#00BF00]The Muppet who made this mess!
the Doctor

Postby granddad » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:00 am

granddad here thanks okay may i have your opinion of my botanical screen in the thumper i have found that if i use a combanation of my mash& frozen corn { got that idea from popcorn suttun video } on my botanical screen that it mellows the taste & soothes the flavor quite abit . but thats what i have learned forom trial& error my last run was sweet feed & on the striping run i used the mash on the botanical screen &it worked but on the spirit run i did something diffrent . i took fresh sweet feed & put on the botanical screen . its only ben 3 days not sure if that was a wise thing to do my theroy is that mash/wort works best . i will keep you posted
granddad

Postby Bushman » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:58 am

Thanks for the invite to the site, like your pictures using more herbs is definitely in my future.
I started my liquid diet and so far it seems to be working! I've already lost two days.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
Bushman

Postby granddad » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:23 am

no problem jst trying to keep pepole from the pnw together ! granddad
granddad

Postby FullySilenced » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:01 am

Grandad there are a lot of post regarding toasted oak..... ever put any in the thumper.... or maybe hickory charcoal or charcoal briquettes... smokey taste and carbon filtering... all in one step.. maybe Festers botanical basket would fit the toasted oak dominoes...
Last edited by FullySilenced on Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
FullySilenced

Postby Al Q » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:13 am

FullySilenced wrote:Grandad there are a lot of post regarding toasted oak..... ever put any in the thumper.... or maybe hickory charcoal or charcoal briquettes... smokey taste and carbon filtering... all in one step.. maybe Festers botanical basket would the toasted oak dominoes...

In my experience wood doesn't play well with high ABV spirit, it doesn't give those nice flavours you normally get, it just tastes like, well, wood. Most Scotch distilleries let the product down before barrelling - mostly in the low-mid 60's ABV wise.
That said that is for aging, maybe the short contact you are suggesting would pan out differently.
Al Q

Postby granddad » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:34 am

granddad here thought about it cons over oaking ? could ruin a hole batch however if i put a 2'' valve on my column & a second valve on my thumper i could make a mini gin basket & try small batches & not waste a hole run my theroy is small batches small mistake small hit on the wallet & with 2 valves i could toggel back and forth for r&d runs

thanks grandad
granddad

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:04 am

It seems that everything I read about American whiskey warns of the doom of over-oaking, and so I believed that for a while. In a recent blind tasting of 5 bourbons and a corn whiskey, the second-place winner, right behind Woodford Reserve and well in front of an Evan Williams single-barrel 10 and a Rip Van Winkle, was a bourbon of mine that had been sitting on LHBS oak chips for 6 or 7 years. The rich color showed that the desired oaking had happened, and by all common reasoning the whiskey should be considered to be over-oaked, but all (7 or 8) of us agreed on its score and placement, before we knew whose whiskey it was.

I'm not going to worry much about "over oaking" any more.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob-books/making-fine-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But..
Zymurgy Bob

Postby granddad » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:06 am

granddad here i have uesed toasted french oak with good results . but i have had more & better results with white oak chips my next test is a sugar wash & i will test both white oak & darker oak i am also looking at geting into herb infusion & useing other things orange peels ? & other things thanks granddad
granddad

Return to Experimental & Infusion Gear