the modern distiller

compressed air to agitate during warm up?

For Gin and the weirder and wackier ideas.

compressed air to agitate during warm up?

Postby 555shine-on » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:31 am

Has anyone thought of or tried using compressed air during the warm up stage? I have recently aquired a 55 gallon tank im planning on using as my boiler,but i fear that bringing this much mash to temp will take forever. I plan to use two 5500w elements to do the job, but felt like agitating occasionally would speed the process. My thought was to inject air occasionally to bottom of tank to churn the mash,but compressed air is cold, and i worry it could foam also. The cold air may be counter productive. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appriciated. Please add your 2 cents . Thanks 555 Shine-on
555shine-on

Re: compressed air to agitate during warm up?

Postby Prairiepiss » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:36 pm

And if you are adding cold air to the mix. You are just counter acting the heat input of the elements.
I am not the distiller your were looking for!
Prairiepiss

Postby acfixer69 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:42 pm

Compressed air is actually hot just grab the discharge line from the compressor to the tank. It is also full of bad stuff even if it is an oil-less type. Insulation is the best bang for the buck and should be the first thing as Minnie said. If you have the power 3 acelements is going to speed it up but 2- 55kw is going to get you up and going.
acfixer69

Postby FullySilenced » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:43 pm

+1 i agree counter productive.... now i have mixed product but... not brewing stuff with compressed air...

However ACFixer... when you release the air high pressure to low it chills....

low to high pressure compressing heats up.....
FullySilenced

Postby acfixer69 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:01 pm

FullySilenced wrote:+1 i agree counter productive.... now i have mixed product but... not brewing stuff with compressed air...

However ACFixer... when you release the air high pressure to low it chills....

low to high pressure compressing heats up.....

I agree but the as it goes from high to low the heat is given up to the ambient liquid in the boiler. :grin: Bad idea on every level.

AC
acfixer69

Postby Prairiepiss » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:04 pm

I've never have had hot air come out of a compressor. Yes the line coming off the compressor itself gets hot. But what comes out the tank and hose is always cold. Rapid expansion cooling.
Prairiepiss

Postby acfixer69 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:12 pm

Prairiepiss wrote:I've never have had hot air come out of a compressor. Yes the line coming off the compressor itself gets hot. But what comes out the tank and hose is always cold. Rapid expansion cooling.

No sub cooling in the tank. Going way of topic

AC
acfixer69

Postby Prairiepiss » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:28 pm

How do you figure its off topic? The guy asked about using compressed air to agitate a boiler. Where he is trying to heat it up. Cold air comes out if a compressor hose. And cools even more as it expands coming out. Pumping cold air into something you are trying to heat. Is counter productive. Sure if you were feeding directly of the compressor itself. Then it would or could be hot. But who would do that. And it would should go through some kind of drier and filter system first. If it was steam that would be a different story.

Not to mention pumping air through a liquid being heated. Will cause evaporation at a lower temp. Doubt it would make it out of the still. But could change the behavior some?
Prairiepiss

Postby myles » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:37 pm

The agitation is a good idea if you are distilling with solids in the boiler. Before the wash has warmed up enough to start circulating there is a tendency for the solids to stick to any hot surface, be that immersion element or heated wall.

However if you are going to agitate by injection then you might as well use steam. Once the wash is circulating you can turn off the injection system.
myles

Postby Maheel » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:59 pm

steam injection would be the go

maybe scavenge a thermo block boiler some coffee machines use for making steam
VM / Boka / ?
Shotgun Pot head
50L electric Kegs
and associated shed filling stuff......
Maheel

Postby myles » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:50 pm

Cooperville wrote:Maheel wouldn't it eventually dilute the wash?

Only up to a certain point. When you heat by steam injection the volume does increase up to the point when the liquid boils. From that point onwards the volume remains constant. Steam in is balanced by steam out.

However, we are only talking about warm up. Yes there will be slight dilution but does that matter?
myles

Postby 555shine-on » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:46 pm

Thanks, for all the great input. A decision has been made no compressed air. just a curious question does anyone know roughly how much time it will take to bring 50 gal or so to temp? 2 5500w elements. I know there are some facters such as insulation, ambiant temp, mash temp to start, but rough idea would be great . Just trying to get an idea of run time. Thanks again guys.
555shine-on

Return to Experimental & Infusion Gear