the modern distiller

Continuous stripping on the grain

For Gin and the weirder and wackier ideas.

Continuous stripping on the grain

Postby jake_leg » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:35 am

Another speculative idea from the "straining is hell" series. The name of the game is to avoid lifting and squeezing massive bags of wet grain. Perhaps we can use osmosis instead of polyester sacks.

Continuously dilute the fermented slurry while stirring. The overflow is filtered and fed through a continuous stripper until the alcohol content is too minimal. Keeping the filter clear is one challenge here. One of the ideas behind this is that batch stilling dilute washes is very wasteful but continuous stripping is more viable.

You could come up with a "batch" variant of this, I'm sure. Maybe, start fermenting on the grain. Every day, take off the top 20% (or whatever portion of the slurry is reasonably clear of solids) and strain into a secondary fermenter. Top up with water. Do this 5 days in a row then discard the primary.

Obviously both pretty inefficient processes in various ways and don't entirely avoid straining, but maybe do it in an easier way.
jake_leg

Re: Continuous stripping on the grain

Postby BadAssBass » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:47 am

Any way you could rig up a pulley system for a straining bag? You could pull it up and tie it off while it drains. It would take the pain in the ass part out of straining.
BadAssBass

Postby jake_leg » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:34 am

The way I did it was put the barrel up on a chair underneath an A frame kiddie swing, tie the bag over the top of the frame, then drop the barrel down to the ground. After 2 or 3 hours a fair bit had drained. But there was a gallon or more absorbed in the corn/barley that had to be squeezed out. Dunk rinsing is less messy but it's more lifting, more pots, and you still leave half of it behind.

I have a food grade pump now which could potentially get around some of the lifting. Pump out the wort from under the bag, shove in dunk water and stir, pump some more. Actually that could be the way to go. With a bottom draining vessel you wouldn't even need a pump. :idea:
jake_leg

Postby BadAssBass » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:17 am

A false bottom with a bottom drain, plus a hoist for the bag would be great! Then after you've drained all of it, you could use something to press it down against the false bottom instead of using your hands to squeeze the fck out of it. That would also avoid the searing pain that comes with squeezing a hot bag of grain.
BadAssBass

Postby Harry » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:22 am

Why strain it? Why not centrifuge it? Lots of homemade centrifuges on youtube. Check the ones for doing veg oil to make biodiesel.

IlikegadgetsHarry
Slainte!
regards Harry
http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/

Winning the hearts & minds; one post at a time.
(you will be assimilated. resistance is futile.)
Harry

Postby BadAssBass » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:24 am

Makes me want to re-purpose my washing machine...
BadAssBass

Postby Harry » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:34 am

Not as silly as it sounds...ferment your grain in loose muslin/cheesecloth bags, small enough to handle. When finished, fish 'em out and put 'em in the washer, on spin cycle. Catch the run-off and add back to the main bulk. Distill away!
Slainte!
regards Harry
http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/

Winning the hearts & minds; one post at a time.
(you will be assimilated. resistance is futile.)
Harry

Postby jake_leg » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:38 am

Words are worth 0.001 picture :)

http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3 ... hp?id=4658

In truth, it's a great idea, but difficult to pull off.
Last edited by jake_leg on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
jake_leg

Postby BadAssBass » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:40 am

:lol: wtf happened there?
BadAssBass

Postby jake_leg » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:42 am

Butch Coolidge on AD bought a brand new washing machine to use as a centrifuge (you can't get the soap out of old ones) but it wobbled off its base and nearly took his leg off.
jake_leg

Postby Hawk » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:48 am

Why not sparge fresh water over it? This way you get as much sugars as you can and you wouldn't need to worry about every last drop?
"You only have power over people so long as you don't take everything from them. Once you've robbed them of everything, they're no longer in your power. They're free again."

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby jake_leg » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:54 am

The stuff doesn't really drain. But maybe you can drown it, and then boil the excess off: I have variants of that idea in mind, I suppose.
jake_leg

Return to Experimental & Infusion Gear