the modern distiller

thumpers show them

For Gin and the weirder and wackier ideas.

thumpers show them

Postby granddad » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:38 pm

ok I have been out of it for a while granddad here life has been busy ! lets see every ones thumper ( excluding glass) I have not been able to use mine in over a year ( sad face ) posting.php?mode=post&f=20&sid=ea8f9f72e4b5c0cfa19b0339ed825dce# I am getting things together to make a video for posting on next run come on all! This project will help with holiday spirit ! lets see some thumpers pic or videos Myels ? larry ? how about we all make a post these are the most two thumper knowledge based guys out there ! this is one of many forums whith much knowledge thanks to all granddad
granddad

Re: thumpers show them

Postby kekedog13 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:58 pm

Here's one made out of a stainless steel flour canister. Holds about a gallon, OK for a 5 to 7 gallon wash so far no problems. I had to make a new lid from a sauce pan, the original one was plastic ( yuck). Mix up some flour dough to seal.Wrapped with the bubble wrap with shiny stuff on one side kind of insulation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kekedog13

Postby granddad » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:18 pm

looks great thanks granddad
granddad

Postby granddad » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:40 pm

granddad wrote:ok I have been out of it for a while granddad here life has been busy ! lets see every ones thumper ( excluding glass) I have not been able to use mine in over a year ( sad face ) posting.php?mode=post&f=20&sid=ea8f9f72e4b5c0cfa19b0339ed825dce# I am getting things together to make a video for posting on next run come on all! This project will help with holiday spirit ! lets see some thumpers pic or videos Myels ? larry ? how about we all make a post these are the most two thumper knowledge based guys out there ! this is one of many forums whith much knowledge thanks to all granddad

please add comments about your thumper experience what is your average abv pros and cons of your thumper ? are you happy what would you change ? Size ? shape ? or? just looking for input my experience has been on the positive side ! and do not for get our for fathers anybody use a slobber box ( lost art ) ? comets ? or has technology forgone that one people remember the kiss factor keep it simple stupid ( acronym ) kiss our great grand fathers used simple methods & simple methods to make hooch
granddad

Postby granddad » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:59 pm

here is a pic of my inline thumper with capability of a botanical
screen this is a pic for a vinegar cleaning run hence the bucket thanks granddad & yes this was posted a year or more ago
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
granddad

Postby myles » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:53 am

I like thumpers. Here are a few earlier ones and then my most recent.

doublepot1.jpg

Photo026t.jpg

Photo033t.jpg

30 litre thumper 2.png

30 litre thumper 5.png
myles

Postby WVSHINER » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:45 am

[quote="myles"]I like thumpers. Here are a few earlier ones and then my most recent.

myles, please tell us about the brass connection/fitting to your keg. Anxious to know how it's attached inside . Possible link/source ????

Thank you, WVS.

Black labs know stuff.
WVSHINER

Postby myles » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:21 am

No problem. This is a special sort of compression (bulkhead or through hull) style fitting available in the UK. These are called an "Essex Flange".

The connector can be fitted ONLY from the outside of the container, with no requirement to get tools inside.

Essentially it is in separate bits with the flange that goes inside not being attached to the body of the fitting. You cut a hole in the container and then feed all the bits into the container (but held on a wire retainer so they do not fall in), assemble them in the right order and then pull them back through the hole to put on the external backing ring.

I built a folding steel tool that passes through the body of the fitting to hold the lugs on the inside so I could get good compression on the fitting with the external backing ring, but that was just me being fussy.

essex boss.png

The backing flange that goes on the inside is split so you can twist it into the container and then position it onto the body of the fitting.

essex1.jpg

Your hole ends up being a bit bigger than is required as you need to feed in the body of the fitting 1 lug at a time. I now make a pear shaped hole to keep it as small as possible, and turn the body of the fitting to feed the lugs in through the longer dimension in the hole.

When this is tightened well with a bit of sealant on the threads on the backing ring it is rock solid.

I do make the compression of the olive onto the tube in a separate fitting. Whilst this fitting is ok and will tighten up the joint just fine, that initial compression of the olive onto the tube is possibly asking a bit much of the friction on the washers onto the keg.
myles

Postby granddad » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:49 am

myles and wv shanks for the pics

Granddad
granddad

Postby StillOnFire » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:48 pm

Mega and Mini thumper

20131030_141743.jpg
StillOnFire

Postby granddad » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:46 pm

wow! small fortune in copper impressive I like it.. is that site glass in the thumper ? am guessing here that you are south? do you have much thermal loss ? on thumper aka longer run time ? you are a craftsman. look great
granddad

Postby StillOnFire » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:28 pm

Yes, the mini-thumper has a sight glass, I was seeing what flavors I could add back to a rum run, so I filled it with wash then fed it with the 93% output of the three plater. It didnt work out as well as I hoped, smeared the heads through most of the run.

There is a fair amount of thermal loss on the keg thumper and column, but I have plenty of power as I run on gas and it doesnt noticeably slow me down. I use a burner under the boiler and thumper to heat up, then switch off the thumper burner once it's boiling. The keg thumper is there to double my boiler capacity. Works pretty well.
StillOnFire

Postby granddad » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:15 am

try this I set my boiler on a blue piece of 2'' foam electric then I wrap my boiler and thumper in a blanket but in your case just try and wrap
your thumper top bottom including incoming feed arm you will be amazed at the difference ( ambient thermal loss) now you mentioned
smearing I am asking every ones opinion on this & please reply what are forum members thoughts on run speed in relation to amount smearing ?
and or maybe is it do to thermal loss when it is cooled after leavening boiler on the way to the thumper? then when it heats back up
in the thumper is that why product smears ? this is why I am thinking of insulating my thumper! my thoughts are we all live in different graphical areas so thing to consider are temp, sea-level, high pressure system vs low pressure, wind , air = thermal loss ? of heat

In reality we all face these challenges at different intervals meaning the last run turned out good ! what was different ? a cooler day ?or wind ? etcetera Every body please comment on your opinion

Granddad
granddad

Postby halfbaked » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:30 pm

I like all the pics posted. Grandad I am scrounding for parts and seriously considering doing an inline 15.5 over a 15.5 thump. My plans are a little different from yours only in size and I would insulate both top and bottom for speed of heat up and effiency. I would also use a 2 inch drain back. Would you mind giving me your pros and cons of an inline thumper vs a reg thumper vs no thumper at all.

If anyone else has inline experiences I would like to hear your answers also.
halfbaked

Postby myles » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:24 am

@ halfbaked, you really don't need the same size thumper as boiler, and definitely not when in-line. 1/3 boiler volume is a good average.

If you are in-line you have a built in overflow back to your primary boiler. In a pot still you can regulate the volume in the thumper at the end of the run with insulation. With a column over the thumper it is almost inevitable that you will need some sort of overflow.

Smearing with a thumper is the same as smearing with a pot still - usually this is down to the wrong power level being used. Some condenser designs can cause smearing also, but the biggest culprit is power.

A thumper will compress the heads and tails but it cannot correct for the wrong power setting. You need to use enough power so that once the heads have gone there is a reasonable hearts cut left. Too little power and the heads persist all the way through the run. Too much power brings on the tails early - again contaminating the hearts.

Start without the thumper to find the default level for your boiler and then add in the thumper and adjust the power until you are happy with your product..
myles

Postby Drunken Unicorn » Sat May 31, 2014 2:15 am

Here is my still with 2 thumpers. One thumper is on top and the second thumper is on bricks next to the boiler. Only the first thumper is insulated because I happen to have insulation available when I built the first one. I really need to insulate the second thumper.

There is not a boil over vulvae like many inline thumpers have. Being my thumper holds 7-ish gallons, I rarely load more then 1.5 gallons, so I haven't had any issues yet.

Double Thump.jpg
"Unicorns drink beer and piss whiskey." -Drunken Unicorn
Drunken Unicorn

Postby myles » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:36 pm

How about a water sealed thumper?

OK this could be a problem if you tried to cascade them but for a single thumper it does work OK. Mine is all copper and is really dual purpose. The pot is very heavy so it can be directly heated, but I also included the thumper option.

water sealed 2.jpg

The vapour injector T has branches that are now 3/8" and also a 3/8" hole pointing straight down at the base of the pot.

water seal pot.jpg

The water seal is deeper than usual because I tried to do this:

stills2.png

That may have been a step to far :roll:
myles

Postby Zombie » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:55 pm

Besides being beautiful I have (as always) Not a Single clue what a water sealed thumper is or how it works.
I'm gonna have my head examined. Do you mind if I refer to you as Mr. Frankenstein?

I may need to be "put down" soon.
Zombie

Postby myles » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:36 pm

:lol: :lol:
It is just an adaptation of an alembic pot still. I actually used a compression taper fit on the column, so the liquid seal was a back up.

water sealed 2.png

I was nervous using the column in reality so the thumper has gone back to its original purpose which was for gin.
myles

Postby Zombie » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:55 am

I'm sooo lost.

So there is no physical hardware mounting/fastening the column to the thumper.
I can understand your trepidation at running it. Cool Idea no doubt but in a world where a hand full of screws costs less than a can of soda... I prefer the screws.

Zombie

Postby myles » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:28 pm

Well liquid seals work fine on pot stills, and on single thumpers. The back pressure in the vapour path is not enough to overcome the weight of liquid in the seal.
On the packed column it was a bit iffy. ;-)

In an appropriate setting the liquid seal is a nice, if slightly eccentric, option.
myles

Postby Drunken Unicorn » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:45 am

Water seal looks...scary. I'll stick with my gaskets. :)
"Unicorns drink beer and piss whiskey." -Drunken Unicorn
Drunken Unicorn

Postby Zombie » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:17 pm

myles wrote:Well liquid seals work fine on pot stills, and on single thumpers. The back pressure in the vapour path is not enough to overcome the weight of liquid in the seal.
On the packed column it was a bit iffy. ;-)

In an appropriate setting the liquid seal is a nice, if slightly eccentric, option.

Got it. Now it makes sense

Zombie

Return to Experimental & Infusion Gear