the modern distiller

Essential oil

For Gin and the weirder and wackier ideas.

Essential oil

Postby Bushman » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:56 am

I have decided to make an essential oil pot still. At an antique store I purchased a stainless steel 5 gallon milker. After doing some research I plan to do steam distillation to extract the oils. Below I will show you my start of the build thus far.
Here is the picture of the 5 gallon milker with the steamer inside.
image.jpeg

I extended the legs on the stainless steel steamer by first grinding off the lip on the bottom of the short legs that come with the steamer. I then bought 1/8" stainless tubing, cut it to the length needed and added threads placing stainless set screws through to hold the legs to the existing legs. See picture below.
image.jpeg

I have yet to build the column but I have built the Liebig.
image.jpeg

My next step is to use a CNC machine to cut out a 7-1/2"diameter copper plate with hole for the column out of 1/16" sheet to serve as the lid.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I started my liquid diet and so far it seems to be working! I've already lost two days.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
Bushman

Re: Essential oil

Postby Bushman » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:46 am

I am thinking I might have to strengthen the top of the lid. Here is my thoughts, so I am up for suggestions. The column will extend 18" so my idea is to cut slots 1 to 1-1/2" up from the bottom of the pipe and flair it, then soldering that to the underside of the lid. This should stiffin and add support, I might also need to build a stand for the extension of the Liebig.
I started my liquid diet and so far it seems to be working! I've already lost two days.

Bushman

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:29 pm

Looks good, Bushman. My only thought is that if you build a support arm for the liebig, you "attach" it to the floor, rather than the milker lid. A long liebig full of water can put a lot of torque on the top of a still.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob-books/making-fine-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But..
Zymurgy Bob

Postby Bushman » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:23 am

Zymurgy Bob wrote:Looks good, Bushman. My only thought is that if you build a support arm for the liebig, you "attach" it to the floor, rather than the milker lid. A long liebig full of water can put a lot of torque on the top of a still.

That is exactly what I have been thinking. I think this will be a fun sideline, not only making the still but I have dedicated a section in my garden for growing the botanicals.

On another note I have got to get down and see your distillery. What days are you open for tours?

Bushman

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:56 pm

Bushman wrote:
Zymurgy Bob wrote:Looks good, Bushman. My only thought is that if you build a support arm for the liebig, you "attach" it to the floor, rather than the milker lid. A long liebig full of water can put a lot of torque on the top of a still.

That is exactly what I have been thinking. I think this will be a fun sideline, not only making the still but I have dedicated a section in my garden for growing the botanicals.

On another note I have got to get down and see your distillery. What days are you open for tours?

"open for tours" makes us sound like a real business. Truthfully, we work Sunday through Friday, and you're welcome any time, but you need to call us maybe a day before, so we can know when to beam you up. I'll pass you the number in a PM. If Kathy answers the phone just ask to talk to me.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob-books/making-fine-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But..
Zymurgy Bob

Postby Bushman » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:17 am

Thanks ZB, I had both your cell phone and home phone in my contacts from our last meeting and added your business number.

Below are pictures of the lid build:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bushman

Postby Bushman » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:21 am

To strengthen the lid I flared the bottom of the column and soldered it to the underside of the lid.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Bushman

Postby JayD » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:12 am

Nice work... :obscene-drinkingcheers:
JayD

Postby Bushman » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:59 pm

Time for a cleaning run! This is my 3rd still I have built it's the smallest at 5 gallons and my first pot still.
image.jpeg

Bushman

Postby Bushman » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:16 am

If your using a small still like the one I just built it is recommended to include a steamer basket like mine. This allows the material your distilling to be inside the steam chamber and for the steam to carry the oil along with it. This is what makes it possible to create and produce higher quality essential oils with a smaller still. One statement I recently read by an author/chemist stated that "stills in which the material being distilled are in the boiling water are not really suitable for making aromatic oils."

Bushman

Postby Bushman » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:54 am

Finished my cleaning run and checked for leaks. All went well even my Everlasting Gasket worked. Having a 7-1/2" opening I could not find a gasket that large so followed instructions on the link and made my own. It worked great.
I have a friend (member on HD) sending me some dried Roman Wormwood to use in the still then this spring will send me plants to grow in my garden.

Bushman

Return to Experimental & Infusion Gear