the modern distiller

3" inline thumper

For Gin and the weirder and wackier ideas.

3" inline thumper

Postby FullySilenced » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:38 pm

I am working on a manu sliding condenser head and column. I am planning to try it using scoria.

I was afraid the scoria would not hold the reflux and decided to make a small smaug style thumper that fits at boiler/keg level.

I used copper cut, formed and soldered this together last night and finished it today.

IT will have a 3.4 inch liquid depth in the thumper it is designed to fit inside a 3" dia. x 4" long sanitary pipe.

When the cap is fully up it is 4 inches tall. The cap has 5/8" travel and is secured with a 10 ga. copper swing that centers and restricts upward motion. The cap is bell shaped.

Not sure how much liquid it will hold but will post after i get some teflon wrapped around it to seal in the tri clamps.

was fun making it... now to clean it up a bit...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FullySilenced

Re: 3" inline thumper

Postby FullySilenced » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:11 pm

Not much room there at present ... added two small weep holes one in the cap one in the base to drain back 1/16"

its more like smaug's inline only smaller... fluid in excess of the 3.4 inches deep will flow back into the boiler

Not sure what else to do to it till i give it a go...
FullySilenced

Postby FullySilenced » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:04 am

Even if i start with a completely dry thumper... as I am really want it just to keep large amounts of reflux from falling back into the boiler..

I will look at moving the thumper tube and cap.. off center to one side then maybe would have room for 2 or 3 small tubes to flow back to the boiler... if wonder if i just J ayed the bottom side of the tubes would it be enough to create a vapor lock or would i still need the cup on the bottom...

If i take the cap off of the thumper tube .... it would just leave a cup... and would hold liquid the higher level abv distillate till it could re-vaporize.... hmmm thinking what if i had two cups like that one over the other would hold about 16 ounces or more of fluid and would allow for full vapor movement and downflow back to the boiler... and as the run progressed would keep it more consistant due to the volume of distillate being held in the column? This last part is pure conjecture....
FullySilenced

Postby nwvapors » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:15 am

I agree with Mini. I tried this a few months back and it required a lot of power to run smooth and even then it chugged like a locomotive. A return line probably would have allowed for a little pressure equalization. Mine was higher volume though and I haven't given up on it yet. Just put it on a shelf for later tinkering.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nwvapors

Postby Prairiepiss » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:37 am

I think the misunderstanding is that he won't have a bubble cap on it. My understanding is it will be more of a collection cup. Relying on the vapors to intertwine with the liquid as it falls back out of the cup. And heat from the rising vapors to heat the liquid in the cup to maybe vaporize them?

I'm still not really seeing it myself. Still trying to picture it.

Smaug didn't someone a while back add a collection cup in the boiler under the column. That was to keep the liquid from returning to the boiler. And hopefully flash it back off? I know someone did. And I can't for the life of me remember who or where it was? I was thinking you were in on the discussion?
I am not the distiller your were looking for!
Prairiepiss

Postby nwvapors » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:31 am

I am pretty sure right now he's got an over sized bubble cap surrounded by a high volume of fluid (same thing I tried to do)
and without an external or internal return it just required too much power to run chuggingly at best. Maybe mine was just
too big to be practical ( not something I get accused of much ) :lol:
nwvapors

Postby FullySilenced » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:59 am

NW yours is really tall compared to mine but very similar just mine is only 3.4 inches tall... I can take the cap off and have a cup and add a second cup if it would help... both cups together would hold about 16oz of fluid... be it puke or refluxed distillate i have room for 3 or 4 1/4 inch copper return lines i could make them a couple inches long and bend them to j's under the thumper thingy.

All this from concern that the reflux might just fall through the scoria and return to the boiler... more than i would like..
FullySilenced

Postby nwvapors » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:08 am

Prairiepiss wrote:I think the misunderstanding is that he won't have a bubble cap on it. My understanding is it will be more of a collection cup. Relying on the vapors to intertwine with the liquid as it falls back out of the cup. And heat from the rising vapors to heat the liquid in the cup to maybe vaporize them?

I'm still not really seeing it myself. Still trying to picture it.

Smaug didn't someone a while back add a collection cup in the boiler under the column. That was to keep the liquid from returning to the boiler. And hopefully flash it back off? I know someone did. And I can't for the life of me remember who or where it was? I was thinking you were in on the discussion?

I wasn't seeing that PP, I guess I assumed it was standing instead of hanging. Different ball of wax.
nwvapors

Postby nwvapors » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:51 pm

Smaug wrote:Just picture a gas can / fuel jug. Or a coke bottle or anything that pours that is not properly aspirated.
And adaquate drain system helps the equilibrium and prevents the chugging

Exactly Smaug, these are the issues I was running into. I will revisit this challenge later I think t is still a viable tool, just need to tweak mine a little.
Thanks for jumping in. After all you inspired this whole thread. :grin:
nwvapors

Return to Experimental & Infusion Gear