the modern distiller

Zymurgy Bob distilling journey discusion thread...

About the run...temperatures, technique, cuts, anything at all about the art of distilling.

Zymurgy Bob distilling journey discusion thread...

Postby Zombie » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:14 pm

Man oh man. That is GREAT!

JayD, I have no clue what has inspired you so but this is something I for one am going to look forward to.

Mr Bob, Thank You Sir! I feel like a kid waiting for Xmas now.

Return link to the Zymurgy Bob story
Last edited by JayD on Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: provided return link to original thread.

I may need to be "put down" soon.
Zombie

Re: Zymurgy Bob.the journey...

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:44 am

Zombie, thanks for the vote of confidence, although I afraid you may be disappointed by the real story. As far as fabrication goes, at least half of the people on this forum are far better than I. As far as quantity goes, some years I'll only run 6 or 8 batches, although this year will be way better than that. My stills are all simple devices, but they satisfy me, anyway.

The only thing I have going is that I've done this for close to 65 years, and I like to lead new distillers into the black art. Oh, and liquor. I make pretty good liquor.

I'm just doing a final edit on the story now. It'll be up in an hour or two.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob-books/making-fine-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But..
Zymurgy Bob

Re: Zymurgy Bob.the journey

Postby Zombie » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:37 am

It's a quality over quantity thing for me Mr. Bob. I don't care much for making every combination of ingredients under the sun or figuring wash abv's.

I'm old school to the bone. It's the experience you share that impresses me. If my Grandpa were still w/ us I can promise I would be sitting w/ him listening to the stories of the thousands of runs, the close calls, and near disasters. Nothing but experience can help you out if something begins to go astray.

That's what I respect about you sir. Your experience, and your taking the time to share it w/ perfect (or not so perfect) strangers. 7 billion people on the planet, and maybe a few hundred willing to help. I think that really says something about the kind of person you are.
Maybe I am assuming too much but I really doubt it!
Thanks!

Zombie

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:22 am

I just like to teach, Zombie. Even if it's something I've done a zillion times, when I work it out in my head and teach it, I always end up knowing whatever it is better.

I've got that bio finished, but I'm not sure where to put it yet.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob-books/making-fine-spirits/

Zymurgy Bob

Postby Zombie » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:20 pm

There is another fella here that has the knack for teaching, and sharing what he has learned. Sometimes just sharing one though can trigger a series of events.
It is reassuring there are a few of you around.

I fight all day every day to help someone get whatever they need sorted out. When I need help it is nice to be able to find it but you' are most likely aware how hard that help is to find. 7 billion vs the few. Nice odds for a fair fight eh!

Zombie

Postby wv_cooker » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:44 am

Very nice Bob and of all things in that story, your tagline says it best!
wv_cooker

Postby tipsy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:07 pm

:text-goodpost: Thanks
tipsy

Postby Zombie » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:57 pm

Once you got to the Internet part of your story I had the exact same response inside. I could not believe all this was out there. Like looking into but not yet thru a keyhole.
At first the mis information is as powerful as the reality. Then the quest for a believable site. Then tolerating verbal abuse from all sides of what you hoped would be a team sport. Finally letting the dust settle, smoothing back the fur, and starting over from a new perspective.
I post on several unrelated forums, and I completely understand your journey. What I admire is the consideration you have for others searching out the facts, and experiences from those willing to share. It takes a much stronger man to wear a smile than a frown.
At the risk of coming across the wrong way... I'll be paying attention.

Thanks for sharing/caring Mr. Bob. It's almost midnight, and you made my day.

Man o Man I almost forgot.... Mr JayD, Thanks for hooking this up for us. I include you in my good will.
Thanks!

Zombie

Postby Jaybird » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:04 pm

I have got to say Bob I sure do LOVE hearing and reading you tell story! You my friend are and am amazing man! So glad I get to spend time with you and share!..

Cheers
Jay
Need a False Bottom for your converted keg, kettle or cooler?
We have been custom building False Bottom solutions for over 8 years for everything you can think of.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com
Jaybird

Re: Zymurgy Bob distilling journey discusion thread...

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:08 am

C'mon, Jaybird. If anyone on this list knows what a fumbling amateur I am, it's you!

By the way, using that rum yeast I got from you - sometime this week I'll be making the cuts on ~6 gallons of low wines rum using that old dunder, and I think it's going to be great. If not sooner, you'll get a taste next May.

Zymurgy Bob

Postby Zombie » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:49 pm

I KNOW Rum is out of my book.

6 years to make dunder, a year to age the hootch... Pistols, and chairs to check done-ness... Nope!

I'll stick to warm Whiskey, and fresh Gin. It's good to have a goal. I give you fellas credit.

Zombie

Postby JayD » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:56 pm

We hear you Zombie, but a journey of a thousand miles begins and ends with one foot step...yo ho ho and a bottle of Rum!
JayD

Postby Jaybird » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:19 pm

Zymurgy Bob wrote:C'mon, Jaybird. If anyone on this list knows what a fumbling amateur I am, it's you!

By the way, using that rum yeast I got from you - sometime this week I'll be making the cuts on ~6 gallons of low wines rum using that old dunder, and I think it's going to be great. If not sooner, you'll get a taste next May.

HA HA HA.... Man I REALLY look forward to that!!!!!

Cheers
Jay
Need a False Bottom for your converted keg, kettle or cooler?
We have been custom building False Bottom solutions for over 8 years for everything you can think of.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com
Jaybird

Postby Tassie Tiger » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:45 pm

Hi, I bought Bobs book about a month ago & I wish it was the first thing I'd bought before starting this Hobby.
If I was asked by a beginner " Where should I start, what's the first thing I should do ? "
I would say before you do a thing Buy Bobs book, Read it a few times before you spend a cent, then ring me back if you need any help.
The help I would give is the Modern Distilling web site address.
I doubt I would hear from them again until boast/taste time.
CHEERS TT
Tassie Tiger

Postby JayD » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:49 pm

Thanx for the feed back,TT...I'm sure Zymurgy Bob will be pleased as I am... :handgestures-thumbupright:
JayD

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:54 pm

Very pleased, and just a bit embarrassed. I'm glad it's working out, though.

Zymurgy Bob

Postby bigfoot » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:37 am

Hey ZB - I recall you setting up a distillery for a lady about to go into production - how did that go?? Did you solve all the heating issues?
Bf
bigfoot

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:35 am

It's not done yet by a long shot. Yesterday I did some welding (oxyacetylene) on the frame for the radiator/fan unit, and I find my welding has deteriorated in the 20 years or so since I last used it. Oh, well, it was getting better, even if I did weld one piece in backwards. She's kinda letting me decide how the whole system will work, and it's been great mental and physical exercise.

Zymurgy Bob

Postby bigfoot » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:31 pm

Ha. Welding is not like falling off a bike...but it will come back. Material, heat and filler combination is probably more important than the skill to apply...or so my tafe teacher said.
I'm a little envious of your position(not knowing all the factors lol) - I wish someone would say to me, here are the $$$, build me a working distillery lol.
Bf
bigfoot

Postby just sayin' » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:36 pm

I don't know how I missed these posts on Z-Bob. Bob, your book is one of the absolute best, I treasure my copy you sent me. I keep hoping for a second book..... Bob, I know that is asking a lot, but I guarantee your first five sales! It would make a wonderful gift for family and close friends I have allowed to review my copy.

Bob you are a human treasury among the pantheon of hobby distilling gurus. Thank you for all you share, we are all in your debt!

Just Sayin'
just sayin'

Postby just sayin' » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:40 pm

Hey, what happened to Zombie? He was 40% of the posts here at his peak. I hope he is well!
just sayin'

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:01 pm

Bigfoot, you should be envious. It's a pretty cool thing to do, although it's a fair amount of work and responsibility, and because I'm doing a few things I've never done before.

Just Sayin' thanks for the kind words. I'm actually started on the second book. It's going to be a lot of what we've learned lately, and recipes and procedures, aimed at enough production to keep a reserve supply aging, without drinking it all up first. I'm working on instrumentation so that I can show graphs of temperature, SG, and pH for all fermentations, and head temperature and %ABV output for all distillations, along with which fractions made the cut.

And then there's the whole corn-and-enzyme thing that's pretty much caused me to build all new mashing and fermenting gear. Man, a lot's changed since the first book came out in 2011!

Zymurgy Bob

Postby just sayin' » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:02 am

Great to hear Z-Bob II is in the works. Thanks, Bob! Exciting news!
just sayin'

Postby Desvio » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:28 am

Zymurgy Bob wrote:Bigfoot, you should Man, a lot's changed since the first book came out in 2011!

Heya Bob, was looking at picking up your book (autographed of course :handgestures-thumbupright: ) and now that I see you are in the works on number two, would it be better to skip the first and wait for the second one? Or will the both serve well to be added to my fermentology library?

Reading your bio, you truly are inspiring. Coming back into this after a long hiatus, I am amazed by what has changed and some of the things that have become so much easier. So much to learn!
People say that I'm a bad influence. I say the world's already f#cked -- I'm just adding to it.
Desvio

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:30 am

Desvio,

The second book will contain virtually none of the information from the first, although I'll refer to #1 once in a while. #1 is for the as-yet undecided not-yet-a-beginner distiller to learn the principles and experiment enough to decide whether the hobby is right for him or her, and then go on to build some gear and look at things like instrumentation and aging.

Book #2 will assume the reader has already read #1, and in fact may refer the reader to tables and graphs in #1. I assume you know how to treat yeast, and how a potstill works, although for the first time I'll get into some reflux still design and operation. #2 will be slanted at recipes to feed at least keg-sized stills, and utilize what we've learned about enzyme mashing grains in 25- or 50-pound quantities.

Above all, for every fermentation gravity, temperature and pH will be graphed, so that you can compare your instantaneous data against mine. In a very similar fashion, as developed in book#1, every still run's head temperature, time, and %ABV will be graphed. Newer aging techniques are also shown.

It'll be a whole different book, and it'll be a while in the making.

Zymurgy Bob

Postby RandyMarshCT » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:11 am

Zymurgy Bob wrote:
It'll be a whole different book, and it'll be a while in the making.

Well, you can count on a purchase from me!
Member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

Hobby Distiller Association USA
RandyMarshCT

Postby Taz » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:58 pm

:text-+1:
Taz

Postby Timbo » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:11 am

Bob,

Stopped by the post office today & your book was in my box. Looking forward to reading it!

Timbo
Timbo

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:20 am

Timbo wrote:Bob,

Stopped by the post office today & your book was in my box. Looking forward to reading it!

Timbo

Timbo, thanks for letting me know. We don't often have shipping problems, but it's still good to know it got there. I hope the book gets you what you need, but if not, you can always ask me online.

Zymurgy Bob

Postby Swedish Pride » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:05 pm

halfway through your book, and I'm reading you have a second one on the go, is it finished yet?
Don't be a dick
Swedish Pride

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:56 am

Not yet, because the data isn't all in yet. It's all about taking the step from hobby distiller to commercial (if tiny) distiller. You'd be amazed at how much you have to change.

Well, I was, anyway.

Zymurgy Bob

Postby Copperhead road » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:31 pm

Zymurgy bob I keep trying to purchase one of your books making fine spirits online with the above link and it says error.

How do I go about getting a copy :confusion-confused:
"Stillbilly wars is the sound of a propane jet in the dead of night"
Copperhead road

Postby Swedish Pride » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:42 am

I used the link and it worked fine, just clicked the paypal option at the bottom and boom one week later i had it in hand
Don't be a dick
Swedish Pride

Postby Fraser » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:42 am

Bob's first book was great. Incredibly helpful. I can't wait to read the next one whenever it's out.
Fraser

Postby Copperhead road » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:15 am

Swedish Pride wrote:I used the link and it worked fine, just clicked the paypal option at the bottom and boom one week later i had it in hand

Thanks Swedish pride, I trust again using PayPal and it worked just fine so hopefully I will have my distiller bible in a week or so to :grin:
Copperhead road

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:37 am

Copperhead, I think you need to read your Private Message on this forum. I'm holding up shipment of your book or books until I hear from you. Nothing serious, but I think you may be trying to spend too much. Let me know soonest, and I'll get (what I think is) your book in the mail.

Zymurgy Bob

Postby Swedish Pride » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:31 pm

now would be a good time to finish that book :obscene-buttsway:
mainly because i finished the first one :lol:

Very good instruction to the stilling world and I would have had a better start to of my stilling adventure if i had it by my side then.

Top marks Zbob
Don't be a dick
Swedish Pride

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:41 am

Thanks so much, SP. I'm glad you find it helpful.

Zymurgy Bob

Postby Copperhead road » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:10 pm

Zymurgy Bob wrote:Copperhead, I think you need to read your Private Message on this forum. I'm holding up shipment of your book or books until I hear from you. Nothing serious, but I think you may be trying to spend too much. Let me know soonest, and I'll get (what I think is) your book in the mail.

Hi Bob
There must have been a glitch in the system.
I confirm I only want 1 books please.

I had not seen your private message till today but you can get me anytime on my email address.

Cheers copperhead
Copperhead road

Postby Copperhead road » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:05 pm

ZBob, I received your book once I opened the cover I could not put it down. Read it over 2 days.
Great book and well done mate :bow-blue:

I hope the next book you write is not to far away , I'm looking forward to it :handgestures-thumbupright: :grin:
Copperhead road

Return to Distilling