the modern distiller

Distilling amount

About the run...temperatures, technique, cuts, anything at all about the art of distilling.

Distilling amount

Postby James8681 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:03 pm

I have a 3 gal pot still. I normally put 2 -2 1\2 gallons of wash in it and I normally get 1 to 1 1/2 quarts of spirits per run is this normal ? There is also about 3/4 of the wash left in the still. Could I just add enough fresh wash to the pot and do another run or should I start with all fresh? Thanks
James8681

Re: Distilling amount

Postby S-Cackalacky » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:19 am

That sounds like a reasonable output from that size wash charge. That said, you're not providing enough information to get a definitive answer. What recipe did you use? What was the starting and ending gravity of the wash? Did you use an alcometer, or your senses, during the run to determine when most of the alcohol was distilled from the wash?

What you have written would seem to indicate that you need to do some more self-study (i.e., reading and research). There is much information in the beginning sections of the forum that will give you guidance toward success. Also, take a look through the proven recipes and fully read the ones that interest you. The recipe threads contain important discussion related to the overall process of producing a good product.

Good luck to you and stay safe.
S-Cackalacky

Return to Distilling