the modern distiller

blowout! - never leave your still folks!

About the run...temperatures, technique, cuts, anything at all about the art of distilling.

blowout! - never leave your still folks!

Postby kimbodious » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:39 pm

Short story, cheap crappy crimpy old garden hose which I used for outlet for (warm) water collapsed around a spot where it had previously been badly kinked. Water couldn't get away so couldn't flow through shotgun condenser. Everything got hotter and hotter until the weakest part in the system gave way (thin walled PVC hose section) - explosively, water everywhere! Quick to shut off power first, water second. All good, hose unkinked, other hose repaired, power back on and once more lovely smelling 2nd gen wheat bran wash trickling in to a demijon, whew!
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular SS Pot Still 2"
Modular SS CCVM Reflux Column 2"
Modular SS Gin Head 2"
kimbodious

Re: blowout! - never leave your still folks!

Postby bigfoot » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:02 pm

Murphy you is a bastard - had you been there watching it constantly, wouldn't have happened...but it so easily could have been much worse.
Glad things worked out.
Cheers.
bigfoot

Postby kimbodious » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:20 pm

I was there which meant I could quickly make the situation safe. The bang when the hose blew certainly made me jump! The output had suddenly got hot, I was backing off the power controller at the time. Luckily it was only water but in close proximity to the power controller (safely up off the ground).
--
Modular SS Pot Still 2"
Modular SS Gin Head 2"
kimbodious

Postby JayD » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:23 pm

Glad to hear you survived this test, yep it's scares the daylights out of you when something goes wrong, but how you handle it decides if you survive, act in the moment and shyte yourself later. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
JayD

Postby kimbodious » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:37 pm

I keep the power controller on a table well above the top of the keg so that it is not at risk from water pooling on the ground. I had not counted on a blowout and spray from up at the product condenser. Last time the cheap crappy crimpy garden hose gets used with the still.
--
Modular SS Pot Still 2"
Modular SS Gin Head 2"
kimbodious

Postby bigfoot » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:12 am

You do try and ensure you've thought of everything, but sometimes...I had the edge of a pond pump crack and piss water everywhere...
bigfoot

Postby JayD » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:49 am

This is why we promote "Never leave your still unattended" as it only takes a second to disaster or to avoid it. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
JayD

Postby S-Cackalacky » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:26 am

Kimbo, sounds like a very anxious moment. It might be good for us to experience such anxiety once-in-awhile just to shake us out of the comfort zone we most likely slip into. Running a still can be boring until it isn't

I think the worst thing ever happened to me was to have a recirc pump crap out in the middle of a run. Had to shutdown and drive 8 miles to the nearest big box building supply store for a new pump. Not a terribly anxious moment, but woke me up to the potential for disaster and drove home the reason for staying close to your still while running.
S-Cackalacky

Postby kimbodious » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:44 am

A risk analysis for pot stilling, you have (in my case) electrocution, electrical fire, scalding, burns, liquid on fire, slips, trips, cuts (broken glass) sprains and strains and alcohol poisoning.
A risk analysis for running the reflux still is similar but you can also add explosive liquid fire and falls from height (off a stool/ stepladder).
A lot to consider aye!
--
Modular SS Pot Still 2"
Modular SS Gin Head 2"
kimbodious

Postby JayD » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:24 am

kimbodious wrote:A risk analysis for pot stilling, you have (in my case) electrocution, electrical fire, scalding, burns, liquid on fire, slips, trips, cuts (broken glass) sprains and strains and alcohol poisoning.
A risk analysis for running the reflux still is similar but you can also add explosive liquid fire and falls from height (off a stool/ stepladder).
A lot to consider aye!

now we need to analise the likely hood of this happening from 1 to 5 five being lest likely to happen to one being very likely to happen, and as such we need to work out a safer way to do it so we can reclassify it into a safer work safety assessment number.

Then we cross reference the danger rating to the "likely to happen assessment" to give a safer value on our matrix, then we change the way we undertake the job to the agreed safety measures.

if you want to add to this, feel free.
JayD

Postby Zombie Killer » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:14 pm

this is starting to sound like a day at work. like doing a JHA or PSI Prior to Distilling. i could post the paper work on my garage wall lol. You could use the number and letter system too rate the hazard. 1-3 being the occurrence rate and A-C being the level of danger. so a 3C rating for a task being the less likely too occur with the least amount of danger and a 1A would be most likely too occur with the most danger.
Texada went in and out of the news. Its association with" illegal intoxicants" dates back to 1928 when the biggest whisky still north of Vancouver was busted in romantic Pocahontas Bay. ZOMBIE KILLER....................
Zombie Killer

Postby JayD » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:22 pm

It can be look at as just a safe and responsible way to do our hobby, the dangers are real, make no mistake what you build are real stills. :handgestures-thumbupright: So if doing this helps the hobby movement to gain legal way to distill in our own homes i'm all for it. Leeds the way, not follow the sheep.
JayD

Postby bigfoot » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:24 pm

Engineering control - go to bottle shop, but grog. Lol
bigfoot

Postby Zombie Killer » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:07 am

1. work are pre-inspection checklist
2. Still pre-inspection listing still type and applicable components with check boxes for good,needs repair,N/A
3. weekly/monthly maintenance record of still and applicable equipment
4. pre distilling hazard check list ( PDH )
5. inspection report for fermentation area with temperature recordings
6. mash bill with dates, ingredients,fermentation time and final ABV%
7. distillate report with number of containers,sizes and proof

this could all be posted in work/work areas for any inspection purposes
Texada went in and out of the news. Its association with" illegal intoxicants" dates back to 1928 when the biggest whisky still north of Vancouver was busted in romantic Pocahontas Bay. ZOMBIE KILLER....................
Zombie Killer

Postby kimbodious » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:23 pm

A whole bundle of what I call "safety paper" offering by itself no personal protection whatsoever. However at a workplace level it obliges people to sign off that thay have conducted a JSA or HSA thereby putting the responsibility on the people signing off. I did WHSR training during which several things stuck in my mind "... there are no such things as accidents, - they are all incidents ... that can be explained as occuring through a combination of, or either of, unsafe conditions and unsafe practises.. "
--
Modular SS Pot Still 2"
Modular SS Gin Head 2"
kimbodious

Postby Zombie Killer » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:00 am

kimbodious wrote:A whole bundle of what I call "safety paper" offering by itself no personal protection whatsoever. However at a workplace level it obliges people to sign off that thay have conducted a JSA or HSA thereby putting the responsibility on the people signing off. I did WHSR training during which several things stuck in my mind "... there are no such things as accidents, - they are all incidents ... that can be explained as occuring through a combination of, or either of, unsafe conditions and unsafe practises.. "

i work as a field superintendent. i deal with this daily. i can be a huge headache
Zombie Killer

Return to Distilling