the modern distiller

saki

About the run...temperatures, technique, cuts, anything at all about the art of distilling.

saki

Postby motormouth1162 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:58 pm

Has any one ever tried to make saki
motormouth1162

Re: saki

Postby S-Cackalacky » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:47 pm

I haven't seen much about it in the forums, but there is some reference to it in relation to making rice vodka. This link is to the "Uncle Remus Rice Vodka" recipe found in the HD forum - http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... i#p7289043 . There are other references to saki in the recipe besides the linked post. It might be enough to get you started.

BTW - that recipe makes a very fine pot stilled vodka.
S-Cackalacky

Postby just sayin' » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:57 pm

SC, I just picked up some yeast balls and sweet rice in Morgantown, WV. My goal is rice wine. I wonder if it wound be improved if the water was removed so it would fit in smaller bottles?
just sayin'

Postby S-Cackalacky » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:43 pm

just sayin' wrote:SC, I just picked up some yeast balls and sweet rice in Morgantown, WV. My goal is rice wine. I wonder if it wound be improved if the water was removed so it would fit in smaller bottles?

I made the Uncle Remus recipe once and I can tell you it makes a fine vodka and a very fine gin. Never tried making it with the yeast balls - actually never realized yeast had balls.

If you're anywhere near Winchester, VA, you might check an international market located in the same little strip mall as the Harbor Freight store. It's on Rte. 7 just off exit 215 (I-81). They have a fairly large Asian section. You might try them for the yeast balls if it's more convenient than Morgantown.

BTW, removing the water is a considerable improvement for anything containing alcohol.
S-Cackalacky

Postby just sayin' » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:27 pm

SC, thanks for the Uncle Remus link. I start rereading the long version, it has been years since I first read it, maybe 2009. Good stuff!

Thanks for the tip on the Asian market in Wincester as well.

"Officer I didn't build no still, at dare is my dehydrator!
just sayin'

Postby S-Cackalacky » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:38 am

JS, the references to koji/yeast balls are only found in the long version (discussion thread). I did the editing of the abridged (condensed) version and removed all those references because they didn't conform to the original recipe post. I wish someone who actually did the recipe with koji/yeast balls would have formulated a separate recipe and started a new thread. It seems to be something a few people are interested in.

Next time I go to Harbor Freight I'll pop into that grocery market and check for the yeast balls. I'm not sure I know what to look for. Would they be in the dry goods section, or refrigerated setion?
S-Cackalacky

Postby motormouth1162 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:12 pm

Thanks all
motormouth1162

Postby ultrasuede » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:02 pm

It's more like brewing beer than distilling. Just don't go around China town asking for Koji. You will get angry shopkeepers trying to sell you cranberries
ultrasuede

Return to Distilling