the modern distiller

Re-distilling a poor cut...

About the run...temperatures, technique, cuts, anything at all about the art of distilling.

Re-distilling a poor cut...

Postby Neophyte » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:10 am

I'm new to the process and misfired on my first cuts. I have some spirits aging on wood and know the product is off. Is it ok to re-distill that product and and make a proper cut?
Neophyte

Re: Re-distilling a poor cut...

Postby S-Cackalacky » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:10 am

You could redistill, but you'll probably lose some flavor.

Other options - If you included too much tails, you could age it for a bit longer. Tails will usually age into something with very nice flavor. If it's heavy on the heads side, additional aging probably won't do much good. However, you can mitigate the heads a bit by airing it for a day or two to allow some of it to evaporate off. This will work if there's not too much heads and the ABV is high enough.
S-Cackalacky

Postby the Doctor » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:35 am

you have a couple of alternatives...re process by distillation... aerate, better if using an aquarium pump and air stone.... The best way of assuring a clean result is to re still and start from scratch.... if you think you are close enough to what you want and just want to clean it up a bit aeration is the best.
Hope that explains it.
Doc
[color=#00BF00]The Muppet who made this mess!
the Doctor

Postby Neophyte » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:47 am

Thanks, Doc and SC. I believe I'm going to re-distill. I've had both the bourbon and single malt on wood long enough to get an idea where it's headed and I just don't think it's close. The bourbon smells good in the mini barrel, but has a really unpleasant finish that stays with you. I keep reading about wet cardboard or muddy and that's probably what I'm getting. Similar issues with the single malt. I need the practice anyway, and feel I have a much better grasp on the cuts now.
Neophyte

Postby kimbodious » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:39 am

Dilute and save a sample of each and re-distill the rest. You have an excellent opportunity how time ageing changes the character of the product.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular SS Pot Still 2"
Modular SS CCVM Reflux Column 2"
Modular SS Gin Head 2"
kimbodious

Postby Neophyte » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:46 am

kimbodious wrote:Dilute and save a sample of each and re-distill the rest. You have an excellent opportunity how time ageing changes the character of the product.

Funny you should post this. I'm actually just finishing the run so I didn't do this. I wish I had. As I was pouring out of my aging bottle into a filter before throwing back in the still, I put my nose to the bottle after about half was poured out and it actually smelled really good. The portion I was filtering still had what I describe as too sweet a smell. It's just not right. Gave it to my wife to nose and she agreed. Her palate and nose is way better than mine.

I am convinced my cuts were too far off. I feel good about it this time. Time will tell.
Neophyte

Postby crow » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:54 pm

You might want to consider blending all this with your next run. It will be fine as white dog but as is will age out light and lack complexity. Depends what ya chasing I guess but I cut different for white than I do for aging stock.
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,we borrow it from our Children.
native American proverb
crow

Postby Aussiedownunder » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:45 am

I had an uncle jay that didn't turn out right just put it on top of the next wash and run it
Mate was around watching the run he was amazed how much I got out of a run :oops:
If its free pick it up
Aussiedownunder

Postby Neophyte » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:42 am

Ran it again and I'm happy with the results. Aging in glass at 66.5% ABV with a number 3 char oak spiral. As I mentioned it had been aging for a while before deciding to run it again. It left a silver residue on the inside of the onion top. Looked like someone had spray painted it. Washed right off. I assume that was because the product had color from aging on oak.

I've also finished strips and cuts on another single malt, rye, and high rye bourbon. Mash's and wort went well. The single malt wort (16L) absolutely boiled the bubble cap for 24 hours and was completely done in 3 days. I haven't had one quite as active that. Produced close to one liter post cuts at 79 ABV. Smells great in the jar while I decide how I want to age it. The rye and bourbon I think turned out nice as well.
Neophyte

Return to Distilling