the modern distiller

Flour paste contaminating run?

About the run...temperatures, technique, cuts, anything at all about the art of distilling.

Flour paste contaminating run?

Postby dalec » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:20 pm

Sorry Doc, I imagine this problem is not the first time raised but cannot find answer in another discussion thread.

My product has a hint of dough taste. I did not think too much of it when I was doing wheat based gin through my pot still. Just thought it was the recipe.

So when I ran a wash with no grain and it had the same (unpleasant this time) dough taste I wondered if maybe it was the flour paste.

To stop leaks I run a small tube of paste around the lid rim and then clamp it to the pan. After the run I do notice small bits of dough in the wash.

First, is my thinking likely to be correct? Second, what do you good folks do to stop this?

I noticed in another (off topic) post Doc referring to silicone baking sheets as base for seal.

Stockpot still, Liebig Condenser.

Thanks all
Dalec
dalec

Re: Flour paste contaminating run?

Postby dalec » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:43 pm

OK so I cut up some silicone baking sheet to form an O ring. It is so floppy and slippery that it was hard to place but got there in the end. Ran some cask wine and not a hint of flavour so it was definitely the flour paste tainting the spirit.

So aside from my liebig solder join springing a leak (newbie to soldering too) it was all good. Maybe less successful when wifey wonders where her baking sheet went. :-o

Im thinking of cutting up another one to make a wider O ring hoping it makes it easier to place. Will let you know.
dalec

Postby JayD » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:48 pm

That sounds good to me, ole school stuff like a flour paste is handy but try and use modern products now, Si baking mats are good, i have used them matter of fact many folks have used them with success. now fix your leaks, paint on more flux while its hot to over come and residual water inside the joint, then once cool place your finger over the outlet and blow through it and if it doesnt leak air its usually good to go. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
JayD

Postby dalec » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:40 pm

Thanks jayD - your tip worked a treat - even if I did melt off my Liebig coolant hose :laughing-rolling:
dalec

Postby crow » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:50 pm

Flour paste can do that but also be sure you are not including lees in your charge or you will get some of the same doughy yeasty bread flavour.
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,we borrow it from our Children.
native American proverb
crow

Postby dalec » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:45 pm

Thanks Crow. My first batch I might have been a bit eager to hit the potsill. But that was wheat vodka, box wine would not have done that.
I'm really happy so far with Doc's silicone baking sheet suggestion.
dalec

Return to Distilling