the modern distiller

grain cleaner

grain cleaner

Postby hudsonbay distillers » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:11 am

hello everyone for those useing all grain unmalted feild grain are you runing it thru a grain cleaner first or does it matter to you if there is some weed seeds and chaff in the mash . we clean our grain first before the grist mill but it is a pain in the ass , other than some small rocks and nuts and bolts off the combine i dont want going in the mill , what if anything am i gaining . thanks
tim
hudsonbay distillers

Re: grain cleaner

Postby S-Cackalacky » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:26 am

I guess there is clean and then there is reasonably clean. I buy everything already processed and bagged. I've bought Producer's Pride All Grain sweetfeed that was loaded with trash (corn stalk, leaves, etc.). It still seemed to make a fairly good product. That brand became unavailable and I now use individual grains and mix my own sweetfeed. The bags of individual grains always seem to look much cleaner than the premixed version.

I've heard of people washing their grains before mashing or fermenting to clean out dust and dirt particles. I imagine you would need to use something like a sieve and flush it with plain water.

Who knows, maybe some of that unwanted crap in the grain will give your product some distinct character that it wouldn't otherwise have.
S-Cackalacky

Postby hudsonbay distillers » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:06 am

thanks for the input our grain cleaner crapped out and im considering the viability of replaceing it or jus paying to have it delivered clean . as far as a distinct flavor my luck it would produce something wonderful that i could never figure out how to duplicate lol ....
tim
hudsonbay distillers

Postby Rockchucker » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:36 am

Hi Tim, I think it makes little to no difference, the grain I get is in bulk and is sometimes really clean and other times just as SC said full of junk. Too my meager taste buds it makes no difference.
Rockchucker

Postby hudsonbay distillers » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:15 am

ya i think ur right im finding that most distilleries ar just screening to remove anything that will damadge the mill but wont openly admit they dont run a full grain cleaner lol .
tim
hudsonbay distillers

Return to All Grain Brewing