the modern distiller

I'm in love with Sorachi Ace hops!

I'm in love with Sorachi Ace hops!

Postby Rummonkey » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:39 am

Anybody try these? I brewed 5.5% American style pale ale with them.17 ibu for 60 minute boil, 10 Ibu for 10 minutes , 1 ounce flameout and .5 oz dry hop. 23 liter batch. One of my favorite beers ever! Lemon meets citrus meets flowers very aromatic.
Rummonkey

Re: I'm in love with Sorachi Ace hops!

Postby Rummonkey » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:48 am

Have not tried galaxy, tried Nelson but can't find tasting notes don't remember it. Sorachi in my opinion is in the same ball park with centennial and other c hops. It's like a smooth Pacific Northwest hop with out the pine and mucho lemon. I believe it was developed by the Japanese. I'm also thinking of using New Zealand motuekas as a replacement for English style hops maybe even lagers.

I'm trying to cut back on buying so many different types of hops. Hoping to boil down to 3 varieties for everything I brew.
Rummonkey

Postby Jaybird » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:13 pm

Rummonkey wrote:Anybody try these? I brewed 5.5% American style pale ale with them.17 ibu for 60 minute boil, 10 Ibu for 10 minutes , 1 ounce flameout and .5 oz dry hop. 23 liter batch. One of my favorite beers ever! Lemon meets citrus meets flowers very aromatic.

Ohhh man! Yeah I love them for sure.. I do what I call my Summer Citra Wheat and I use Sorachi and Citra (easy on the Citra) and it is one of my best beers. Grain to glass in 14 days! I love it! I haven't done a SMASH with them yet but I intend too.

Cheers
Jay
Need a False Bottom for your converted keg, kettle or cooler?
We have been custom building False Bottom solutions for over 8 years for everything you can think of.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com
Jaybird

Postby Jaybird » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:48 pm

punkin wrote:How bout posting up the recipe, Jay?

You bet Punkin
This is for a 12 gallon batch all grain fly sparge @80% efficiency

11# 2 row pale malt
11#white wheat
1# Crystal 15L
1.5# Rice Hulls

Mash at 152 for 60 min
sparge and collect 14 gallons

1/2oz Whole Citra 60 min
1/2oz Whole Sorachi Ace 15-20 min
1 1/2oz Whole Sorachi Ace 5-10 min

Then I add 1oz dried cut lemon peel and 1 oz of dried sweet orange peel at flame out

My favorite yeast for this beer is German Ale Kolsch WLP 029 but I have done it several times with WLP051 California Ale V and love it too
I ferment @ 65*Ffor 10 days then keg

Cheers
Jay
Need a False Bottom for your converted keg, kettle or cooler?
We have been custom building False Bottom solutions for over 8 years for everything you can think of.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com
Jaybird

Return to All Grain Brewing