the modern distiller

Love the smell

Love the smell

Postby Hawk » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:04 am

Of all the things I've brewed, I think the roasted corn is the best. I have a UJ made with it but today I am mashing in for a roasted corn IPA.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"You only have power over people so long as you don't take everything from them. Once you've robbed them of everything, they're no longer in your power. They're free again."

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Re: Love the smell

Postby Hawk » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:14 am

Here is my UJ with the roasted corn. I have 3 previous stripped batches to add to the boiler with this batch tomorrow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"You only have power over people so long as you don't take everything from them. Once you've robbed them of everything, they're no longer in your power. They're free again."

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby Stainless dude » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:33 am

Hi Hawk, are your using a roasted corn instead of cracked corn? Or is this something different all together?
Stainless dude

Postby Hawk » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:38 am

Stainless dude wrote:Hi Hawk, are your using a roasted corn instead of cracked corn? Or is this something different all together?

I take whole corn, locally grown and roast it in my dutch oven. Then I crack it. Most of it comes out like a flour but thats ok. Tastes great!

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby jake_leg » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:41 am

Gotta try that. :handgestures-thumbupright:
jake_leg

Postby Hawk » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:55 am

punkin wrote:Sounds good in a beer. Did you do a cereal mash or just add it for flavour?

This beer is 100% corn. No cereal. Made to be gluten free for a friend who cant have normal beer. Tastes so good I have to make a batch for me and the wife now and then. Friends who can have normal beer try this and want me to make more! Dude, this beer is a lot of work. And I am moving to Alaska in a month so I have 2 people I am teaching to make it so they can have it when I am gone. Sometimes I add white sugar to boost the abv. I have a couple pounds of Panela from sugar daddy that I will be adding to this batch for flavor and abv. 2 batches going down between today and tomorrow. I have to hurry up and drink that free 10 gallons of sam adams so I can have my kegs back. LOL

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby Hawk » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:12 am

minime wrote:
Hawk wrote:
punkin wrote:I have to hurry up and drink that free 10 gallons of sam adams so I can have my kegs back.

Take your punishment like a man and drink up :laughing-rolling:

Some chick caught the flowers and I got the remaining beer. I think I got the better of the two. That beer will be gone before the fermenters are done. LOL

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby Badger » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:18 am

Sounds cool. Can you post the recipe/process?

I have several gluten-free friends who'd love to try it.
Badger

Postby Hawk » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:59 am

Badger wrote:Sounds cool. Can you post the recipe/process?

I have several gluten-free friends who'd love to try it.

1.5 pounds corn per fermentable gallon. Crack or grind. Do as you would any other all grain with your favorite hops and such. Sometimes I add a bit of white sugar to boost the abv. thats about it. If you can do all grain you can do this. You just end up using exzymes.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby Badger » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:07 pm

Thanks. Do you have a yeast that you'd recommend?
Badger

Postby Hawk » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:23 pm

Badger wrote:Thanks. Do you have a yeast that you'd recommend?

Im going to try the nottingham this time. Normally I use coopers. The nottingham is certified gluten free and it works better at lower temps. ALmost a hybrid between a ale and lager yeast to explain it with no real education on the subject. :confusion-confused:

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby Badger » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:35 am

Thanks, I can't wait to try it.

One last follow up and then I promise to stop hassling you. :)

Can you speak a bit about your roasting process?

What temp and for how long? What physical signs indicate the corn is done? How much are you putting in your Dutch oven at a time? ( thoughts on roasting on baking sheets?) Are you stirring the corn occasionally? I assume you are starting with dry corn? (I've seen some other folks roasting frozen sweet corn...)

Thanks for your patience...I'd just like to do your recipe justice.

Thanks,
Badger
Badger

Postby Bushman » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:30 am

I have an antique commercial coffee grinder with a 17 inch crank wheel that was made for the old drug stores. It does a great job grinding coffee but wondering if the corn would be to hard for it?

image.jpg
I started my liquid diet and so far it seems to be working! I've already lost two days.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
Bushman

Postby Hawk » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:46 am

Badger wrote:Thanks, I can't wait to try it.

One last follow up and then I promise to stop hassling you. :)

Can you speak a bit about your roasting process?

What temp and for how long? What physical signs indicate the corn is done? How much are you putting in your Dutch oven at a time? ( thoughts on roasting on baking sheets?) Are you stirring the corn occasionally? I assume you are starting with dry corn? (I've seen some other folks roasting frozen sweet corn...)

Thanks for your patience...I'd just like to do your recipe justice.

Thanks,
Badger

I am using a 6 quart Dutch oven. I fill it up and put it in at 450 in my convection oven. Times vary from 2-4 hours. Stirring every 20 min or so. Get the color you desire. I went extra dark this time. I think when I do this I burn up some of the starches as well so your OG will be lower. You could mix roasted with non roasted for your wort. I just add white sugar to get to my desired 1.06. I also added Panella this time around.

You aren't bugging me. No worries.

Here is the batch fresh in the primary. It's kind of creamy now but will clear nicely in the end. Ill post a pic of the secondary prior to kegging in due time.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby Hawk » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:13 am

Oh. Forgot. Yes it is dry corn. Locally grown by my friend on his farm. Here is a pic of the corn for this batch. Roasted dark.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby bodhammer » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:43 pm

Hawk wrote:
Badger wrote:Thanks. Do you have a yeast that you'd recommend?

Im going to try the nottingham this time. Normally I use coopers. The nottingham is certified gluten free and it works better at lower temps. ALmost a hybrid between a ale and lager yeast to explain it with no real education on the subject. :confusion-confused:

I have a couple beers that I make with the Danstar Nottingham yeast. It is one of my favorites: very clean and fresh, minimal esters. I also like in no particular order:

White Labs WLP940 - I did a Pacifico clone with this and it was nice. I don't think it is that much different from the Nottinham that I have done blonde ales from. Clean, quick, and low maintenance.

SafeAle US-05 - Solid for IPA and other ales, fairly neutral and lets the hops and malt through. I pitch it dry and don't even bother to hydrate. 1 sachet per 5 -6 gallons. Never stuck and I have used it 20-30 times. I cannot tell this from the Wyeast 1056 and the Whitelabs WLP001 - why pay more?

White Labs WLP004 - Irish Ale - Really lets the malt flavors through and takes off quickly. +++

White Labe WLP550 - Belgium Ale - I have multiple gold medals from this yeast for doing Belgium Tripels, I have no idea how this would be for spirits but I get a lot of clove/spice and not to much banana from this strain. Pretty clean and clear as well.

HTH,
Bod
bodhammer

Postby crozdog » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:21 pm

Hi Punkin, I love makin belgians.... won a couple of shows. Love to do partigyles with em - get 2 or 3 beers out of 1 mash. Enough about me ;-)

try this for a good start on a dark strong http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/Jamil/Jam ... rkAle.html

also here the one out of brewing classic styles.
6.8 continental pils
1.36 munich
.227 wheat
.45 cane sugar
.45 aromatic
.45 cara munich
.45 special b
.227 melinodin
hallertau 4% AA 60minute 69g
mash at 67 and a 90 minute boil

Unfortunately you really need to let em age a bit for the flavours to develop. Drop me a PM/email & I'll see if I can dig out some recipes for ya

anyhow, back to the original post - interesting stuff Hawk. Good work.
crozdog

Postby Tracker » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:39 pm

Bushman, most old machines as per your pic. cannot be killed by a herd of raging bulls, travelling in a westerly direction, during the Ides of March, complete with a company of naked dancing virgins.

Load it up and give the handle a couple of turns. If it feels easy, keep going. If it feels tight, give it up.

Cheers.
StillDragon Tracker Stacker Flavour Packer v1.10
Tracker

Postby Hawk » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:47 am

Tracker wrote:Bushman, most old machines as per your pic. cannot be killed by a herd of raging bulls, travelling in a westerly direction, during the Ides of March, complete with a company of naked dancing virgins.

Load it up and give the handle a couple of turns. If it feels easy, keep going. If it feels tight, give it up.

Cheers.

I agree with this. My grinder is my great grandmothers old meat grinder. One that clamps down on the table and you have to crank it. It works perfect for cracking the corn and does turn some of it to a flower. They just dont make things like they used to. So much stronger back in the day.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby crozdog » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:37 am

Cooperville wrote:Oh croz how long do you age this beer for I will be kegging soon and will have a bunch of bottles just lying round

Coops. I like to give belgian dark ales 2-3 months. My preference is to age em in bulk ie I use a cube, then bottle as I've found you get better results that way. After sitting for so long I usually adding more yeast when bottling.
crozdog

Return to All Grain Brewing