the modern distiller

Jaybirds Summer Citra Wheat

Jaybirds Summer Citra Wheat

Postby Jaybird » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:35 pm

I posted this up in a thread but I thought I would start a new thread because I think it got lost, I love this beer and just brewed another 12 gallons a few days ago. The use of the Sorachi Ace hops in this beer really makes it! I did make a few little changes that I will post once I taste the new beer in a month or so. But this is my original recipe that I have brewed several times as is. Enjoy!

11# 2 row pale malt
11#white wheat
1# Crystal 15L
1.5# Rice Hulls

Mash at 152 for 60 min
sparge and collect 14 gallons

1/2oz Whole Citra 60 min
1/2oz Whole Sorachi Ace 15-20 min
1 1/2oz Whole Sorachi Ace 5-10 min

Then I add 1oz dried cut lemon peel and 1 oz of dried sweet orange peel at flame out

My favorite yeast for this beer is German Ale Kolsch WLP 029 but I have done it several times with WLP051 California Ale V and love it too
I ferment @ 65*Ffor 10 days then keg

Target OG 1.054
Target IBU 37-39

Cheers
Jay
Last edited by Jaybird on Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Need a False Bottom for your converted keg, kettle or cooler?
We have been custom building False Bottom solutions for over 8 years for everything you can think of.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com
Jaybird

Re: Jaybirds Summer Citra Wheat

Postby Bushman » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:51 pm

That recipe sounds great, a friend of mine that owns Foggy Noggin has offered to get me into brewing as well. I would be the exception to the forums, most come from brewing to distilling I guess I would be doing it backward.
I started my liquid diet and so far it seems to be working! I've already lost two days.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
Bushman

Postby BadAssBass » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:42 am

Looks like a great recipe!
BadAssBass

Postby Stinger » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:50 am

Sounds like something I want to try.

For those of us with no access to Sorachi Ace hops, what would you recommend? I've ordered Citra and I have Saaz.

What IBU are you shooting for?
Stinger

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:47 am

Jay,

Will there be some of that at your Brew day on the 4th? I'm still looking for a nice light-bodied summer beer, but I wouldn't know Sorachi hops if they rose up and bit me. I've kinda reduce my recipes to those that use the hops I grow myself, Fuggles and Tettnang, so I'm not really knowledgeable on lots of hop varieties.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob-books/making-fine-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But..
Zymurgy Bob

Postby DuckofDeath » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:28 am

I heard that they stopped sarachi ace hops :( what a waste it smelled the best of any hop around.
DuckofDeath

Postby Jaybird » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:48 pm

I dont really think it will be ready to drink by then Bob but we will see. I might just transfer a bucket into a keg just for fun and see just how fast I can push this beer. But I did just brew it 2 days ago.

I wasn't aware they were killing the Sorachi Ace, where did you hear that? Best lemon hop around!
If I wasn't able to get Sorachi I would probably up the lemon and sub Simcoe or Centennial and tone them down a tad. I shoot for a little higher IBU then the style calls for. I shoot for about 37-39 IBU. I wan the hops to shine and only have the peel there for backbone.

Cheers
Jay
We have been custom building False Bottom solutions for over 8 years for everything you can think of.

Jaybird

Postby DuckofDeath » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:30 pm

I heard it from my local brewshop but I just looked and there is a shortage but they are not stopping it. Just really hard to get it seems.
DuckofDeath

Postby Jaybird » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:22 pm

Ohhh Good. Yeah Its ALWAYS a hard to get hop. But worth it wen you can get your hands on it.

Cheers
Jay

Jaybird

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:58 am

punkin wrote:
Not to take anything away from Jays recipe, but Ross's Nelson Sauvign Summer Ale is also a cracker. It has an almost permanent tap here, and is well and truely in the brew rotation.

Yeah, but it's a lot shorter drive to bum beer from Jaybird. :lol:

Actually, you're the first person I ever heard talk about Nelson Sauvin hops, and I didn't think they were available here, but my LHBS sells them. I'll have to give that recipe a try.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob-books/making-fine-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But..
Zymurgy Bob

Postby Jaybird » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:56 pm

So who has brewed it? I am going to brew up anther batch in short order. I am thinking of using a sour mix to ferment 1/2 of this. and maybe do a blend of some sorts.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers
Jay

Jaybird

Return to All Grain Brewing