the modern distiller

Big Brew for National Homebrew Day

Big Brew for National Homebrew Day

Postby Prairiepiss » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:51 am

Big Brew is a celebration of National Homebrew Day (May 7).

Anyone attending an event? I will be attending one at the local homebrew shop. They normally get a few brewers to set up in their back lot. One of these days I will get mine going.

More about Big Brew for National Homebrew Day. Here.
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/p ... mebrew-day

Edited for dates.
National Homebrew Day is May 7th
Big Brew Day is May 4th
Last edited by Prairiepiss on Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am not the distiller your were looking for!
Prairiepiss

Re: Big Brew for National Homebrew Day

Postby Bushman » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:52 am

I am going to an event tonight, we will both have to report on our events. Last year I had a blast!
I started my liquid diet and so far it seems to be working! I've already lost two days.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
Bushman

Postby FullySilenced » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:56 am

Posts regarding the festivals would be almost like saying that... :text-worthless:
FullySilenced

Postby BadAssBass » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:39 am

I'm sure I won't be able to get to any events that week, but I will make sure I brew that day! The recipes on that site don't seem too appealing to me, but National Homebrew Day seems like the perfect day to make a barleywine. It's the perfect time to make one for next winter!
BadAssBass

Postby Prairiepiss » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:14 am

The wife has found a barley wine she really likes. Made by Schlafly. And I find it pretty good myself. But I prefer their bourbon barrel aged stout. Their 2007 was great. But its going down hill from there. The 2007 you could tell it was aged in a bourbon barrel. The latter stuff just doesn't have the bourbon presence. I can't wait to get my brew system done. So I can get some barley wine made. First up will be an oatmeal stout though.I plan on aging it on oak for a while.
Prairiepiss

Postby Bushman » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:22 am

FullySilenced wrote:Posts regarding the festivals would be almost like saying that... :text-worthless:

I will have to use my wife's iPhone but will try to get some. The last 30 days were sunny and in the 70's, wouldn't you know it's raining today.
I started my liquid diet and so far it seems to be working! I've already lost two days.

Bushman

Postby crozdog » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:35 pm

I normally host a big brew day, but as I'll only be back home that weekend, won't be doing one this year.

2 or 3 years ago we knocked out 600l in the day, 4 x belgians off 2 mashes - partigyle style. Did a dark strong/abbey ale from 1 mash + a tripple / belgian pale ale off a 2nd mash.

Was a huge day! lots fun.
crozdog

Postby Kapea » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:44 pm

A friend of mine hosts a Big Brew gathering every year. A few years back I started running a UJSM potstill run parallel to the brewers. Now I've expanded that to include making up the next iteration of UJSM too. It's funny to be lectured by brewing noobs on my lack of "sanitary" brewing techniques with UJSM. :lol:

Do you suppose the AHA would publish my recipe for UJSM as one of the BIg Brew recipes? :-o :laughing-rolling:
Up is away from Earth.
Down is towards Earth. :happy-bouncyshadowgreen:
Kapea

Postby Holy Bear » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:29 pm

FullySilenced wrote:Posts regarding the festivals would be almost like saying that... :text-worthless:

Sorry fella's I cain't take beer. Or wine either for that matter. ( Too much good neutral I guess) But I am glad y'all are celebrating!!!

I am curious though, how did you do that with the emotions???
" Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" Patrick Henry, March 20, 1775
Holy Bear

Postby Prairiepiss » Sun May 05, 2013 12:45 am

This weather is really sucking. Highs in the mid 40s today. It snowed again last two nights. Didn't stay. But still ridiculous. I don't know if they are still gona have the brew event. It's still raining and in the 30s now.
Prairiepiss

Postby Bushman » Sun May 05, 2013 3:06 am

Prairiepiss wrote:This weather is really sucking. Highs in the mid 40s today. It snowed again last two nights. Didn't stay. But still ridiculous. I don't know if they are still gona have the brew event. It's still raining and in the 30s now.

If they have it, we want pictures. Ours was a great success and I love that the money all went to a non profit organization to help developly challenged people.

Bushman

Postby Kapea » Sun May 05, 2013 5:25 pm

Missed out this year. Had to fly to SW Florida. My mom is in hospice.

Posting here now to take my mind off of things for a little while.

Funny how friends from around the world look the same whether I''m surrounded by the Pacific or sitting on the Gulf of Mexico. Thanks for the distraction guys. It feels good to be in here with you.
Up is away from Earth.
Down is towards Earth. :happy-bouncyshadowgreen:
Kapea

Postby Prairiepiss » Mon May 06, 2013 1:21 am

They rescheduled the demonstrations for next week. They had one guy setup out in the cold. I didn't get a pic of his setup. But I plan to go next week. When more are setup. I will get some pics then.
Prairiepiss

Postby Bushman » Mon May 06, 2013 2:30 am

Kapea wrote:Missed out this year. Had to fly to SW Florida. My mom is in hospice.

Posting here now to take my mind off of things for a little while.

Funny how friends from around the world look the same whether I''m surrounded by the Pacific or sitting on the Gulf of Mexico. Thanks for the distraction guys. It feels good to be in here with you.

Good luck, I went through that 2-1/2 years ago with my mother (she was 93). I actually moved in and slept on her couch for over 2 months. I was very impressed with hospice.

Bushman

Postby heartcut » Mon May 06, 2013 3:18 am

I came out and watched/ shared product, but just can't see driving back home with 10 gal of wort. I'll find a way to spill that...
heartcut

The reason lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place is that the same place isn't there the second time.
Willie Tyler
heartcut

Postby Prairiepiss » Mon May 06, 2013 7:38 am

I did find out from the one guy that showed up. That the local brewery Boulevard Brewery is doing a special run that instead of fermenting it. They are giving it away to homebrewers 5 gallons each. You have to register on line for a chance to get 5 gal. They will notify those that are selected to come pick it up. Then you will have to ferment it with hops and other ingredients of you choice. When done provide them with like 6 bottles of the finished product. They will judge those entries. I registered wish me luck.
Prairiepiss

Postby Bushman » Mon May 06, 2013 8:19 am

Prairiepiss wrote:I did find out from the one guy that showed up. That the local brewery Boulevard Brewery is doing a special run that instead of fermenting it. They are giving it away to homebrewers 5 gallons each. You have to register on line for a chance to get 5 gal. They will notify those that are selected to come pick it up. Then you will have to ferment it with hops and other ingredients of you choice. When done provide them with like 6 bottles of the finished product. They will judge those entries. I registered wish me luck.

Now that sounds like a fun little competition, here's wishing you luck on both being selected and then the outcome of your product.

Bushman

Postby Jaybird » Tue May 07, 2013 3:26 pm

We had a fairly big event at Nor Cal Brewing Solutions. We had 6 groups of people brewing in the parking lot. There was AG brewers and BIAB guys and extract brewers as well, it was killer!! We had Zymyrgy Bob come do a distilling class and book signing. 19 people in the class! I think that is a great turn out for sure! We had 15-20 beers being sampled throughout the day all brewed by the local brewing club, The Shasta Society of Brewers ( the SOB's) and in store and online specials running all day.

This is the 5th year I have done the even at the store and it just keeps getting better and better. Between this and Learn to Homebrew day I think no year would be complete without them!

Glad to hear some of you got out and had fun at your LHBS!

I will post up some picts when I see em..

Cheers
Jay
Need a False Bottom for your converted keg, kettle or cooler?
We have been custom building False Bottom solutions for over 8 years for everything you can think of.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com
Jaybird

Postby Hawk » Wed May 08, 2013 7:06 am

Here is my last batch of roasted corn beer being brewed today in honor of national home brew day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"You only have power over people so long as you don't take everything from them. Once you've robbed them of everything, they're no longer in your power. They're free again."

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Return to All Grain Brewing