the modern distiller

Efficiency

Efficiency

Postby gusterminator » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:42 am

Hi guys. I did my first all grain last night. I used 8 pounds of cracked corn and 2 pounds of malted barley. I gelatinized the corn at 180F for around 40 minutes and then let cool to 155F and added my barley. I used a circulation setup like HERMS. I let this run for about 1 hour. Then I raised my temperature to 170 and sparged for about 40 to 50 minutes. until there were no more sugars coming out with the wort. My final S.G. was only 1.030 for 15L.

My question is should a recipe with 8 pounds cracked corn 2 pounds Malted barley be enough to get 20L of 8% mash? I'm looking for some opinions on what my next move should be. First thing that comes to mind is add more grain and corn to my recipe.....I also considered adding some flaked corn to my recipe.
Should I be boiling my corn?

Thanks

Gus
gusterminator

Re: Efficiency

Postby StillOnFire » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:41 am

There are many of us who have struggled with corn. I think part of the problem is that yellow feed corn is optimised for protein and fat, and does not have the same amount of starch as the corn normally used for brewing? I never get anywhere near the efficiency with cracked maize that is calculated. Last time I gelatinised and mashed 10kg corn with 6kg barley and wheat malt, and came out with 70L of 1.020 wash. I just boosted it with 6kg of sugar and got a pretty decent spirit out of it. The flavor is there, the sugar just isnt, add sugar (or DME if you want to keep it all malt) to get a 5-7% targeted abv.

I have an account at brewer's friend (http://www.brewersfriend.com) It is supposed to allow me to do exactly those sorts of calculations. Just make a new recipe, feed in your grain bill and expected fermenter volume, and it will give you your gravity and expected ABV. You can only save 5 recipes, but to do these sorts of quick calculations you probably dont need to save.
StillOnFire

Re: Efficiency

Postby gusterminator » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:51 pm

thanks for the good advice. ill check that out. I feel better that someone else had the same problem.
I did exactly what you said. I added a bag of DME and some sugar. I'm going to try some flaked maze this weekend and see what kind of luck I have.
gusterminator

Return to All Grain Brewing