the modern distiller

RO Water filtering ?

RO Water filtering ?

Postby Trackerdan » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:40 pm

Tapping into the brains trust of this forum hopefully..

Does anyone use reverse osmosis water filtration prior to brewing?, I only collect rainwater where I live, I do run pleated and carbon cartridge filters to 5 microns, but I am wondering if it would be better to run a reverse osmosis setup, then adding certain minerals to that.

If anyone does something similar or has any info on rainwater analysis that would be great.
Trackerdan

Re: RO Water filtering ?

Postby SBB » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:34 pm

The only thing Ive ever used is un filtered rain water, straight from the tank for my ferments.
I never seen the need to use anything else.
SBB

Re: RO Water filtering ?

Postby Yummyrum » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:59 pm

I'm on Rain water too . We have a 5 micron sediment filter straight out of the pump then under the sink is a 1 micron followed by 0.5 micron filter to stop the Ghardia in our Drinking water as some members of the family are susceptible to it .

For Wines and Beer that might sit around for a while I use the filtered water but for Fermentation's , I just use the Tank water now ( via the 5 micron sediment filter) as Its going to be distilled anyway . I don't have any issues with bad ferments . Regarding minerals , well all I see going in the tank is water and a bit of decaying leaf litter and bird shit , plus the usual acid Rain ( pH is normally 6.8-6.9 when we are on constant rain) .
When we run out of water and get a top up from the waterman , it goes slightly higher pH as he pumps straight out of one of the local creeks .

I'd rather drink this stuff than what they drink in town .
Yummyrum

Return to All Grain Brewing