the modern distiller

205ltr stainless drum

205ltr stainless drum

Postby Yurgle » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:27 pm

Hi I picked up a 205ltr stainless steel drum today and I am now thinking about how to modify it as a mashing vessel. Frankly I have no idea (not being a brewer) and am researching!

I plan to heat water in it with a Mongolian gas burner, then mash in the same vessel. I have an idea to use a RIMS tube to maintain temps. Ideally i would lauter in it too but may transfer and ferment on grain in fermenters. I suppose it would be best to weld on some 2" t/c ferrules. As I mash any additional top up water would come from the still boiler which I would maintain at temp.

I'd love some ideas about how I could set up the drum for both malted barley and corn/rye. Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yurgle

Re: 205ltr stainless drum

Postby Danespirit » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:56 am

Your idea is good..
My only concern would be the thickness of the bottom. :!:
If you fill the whole drum up, you will be dealing with roughly 200 Kg of weight pushing at the bottom plate.
Further heating with the gas burner, might be enough to rupture it.
If you reinforced it with a "cross" beneath ..or a disc cut out of steel, it should work for you.
You would have to fabricate a sturdy stand for it , so you could set up the burner below.
What about a stand made out of a circular rolled angle bar, with three legs welded to it ?
Weld a "cross" diagonal inside the circle you made out of angle bar, it will support the bottom of the drum.
The legs should be arranged with 120 degrees between each of them and with a slight outward angle.
That construction will give you a very sturdy stand for your drum, plus sufficient support for the bottom plate of it.
If you can't fabricate it with angle bar, the alternative could be a circle rolled out of 1" pipe...
It should be made to fit on the inside of the rim at the bottom of your drum
Just my two cents...
Danespirit

Postby Yurgle » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:54 am

Fair call on thickness of the base Danespirit - thanks for the tip. It's a 30yr old drum with a rounded formed base and weighs a lot. I'll get the bases thickness measured.

I am thinking about mounting it on a cradle that allows me to dump the spent grain. I've seen the guys at Corvair have made something similar.
Yurgle

Postby hudsonbay distillers » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:22 am

thats a nice score those are very handy barrels . once you get your stand built i would add 2 inch tap on bottom , and if your really talented i would make the stand in the same idea as a cement mixer . then your barrel could be easily dumped into a wheel barrow to get rid of spent grain . i would also go with a simple 3 water mash schedule to simplify your mash schedule but thats just me . or better yet if u decide u dont like that barrel feel free to put it in the mail box and send it to me lol im sure i ll find a use for it .
tim
hudsonbay distillers

Postby Rockchucker » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:43 am

hudsonbay distillers wrote:thats a nice score those are very handy barrels . once you get your stand built i would add 2 inch tap on bottom , and if your really talented i would make the stand in the same idea as a cement mixer . then your barrel could be easily dumped into a wheel barrow to get rid of spent grain . i would also go with a simple 3 water mash schedule to simplify your mash schedule but thats just me . or better yet if u decide u dont like that barrel feel free to put it in the mail box and send it to me lol im sure i ll find a use for it .
tim

I’ve got one that is very similar and use it as a steam masher/Biab for AG, I hooked up a pump to recirculating and transferring the mash to my boiler.
Rockchucker

Return to All Grain Brewing