the modern distiller

Mash tun

Mash tun

Postby andy1982 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:22 pm

Dunno where to ask this sorry if it's in the wrong section I want to try my hand at an all grain bourbon but first things first I need a mash tun and have seen ppl boil them in a bag not in a bag and dump hot water into an esky and add grain I'm lost as to what I should be trying to make as there are so many different methods and don't want to build one and not achieve what I'm after and have to build another system.

I have a spare t500 boiler lying around collecting dust and thought I could utilise that somehow but have been told they are too small which I have no idea about :confusion-confused: once grains r removed I understand the wort level would drop a lot but I thought u could add water once removed to bring level back up :confusion-confused: if possible it might b a good learning point for all grain as I started small with distilling then when I went bigger it was a little easier but I got no clue and was also thinking of trying to put one of those stc1000 controllers on there but am unsure if they r rubbish or if there is something better again I apologise for all the noob questions
andy1982

Re: Mash tun

Postby Charis » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:08 pm

Once you have drained the wash/wort out of the tun you then sparge the grain with warm to hot water so as to rinse out any sugar that may be left in the grain. I am no expert at all grain having only made one wash so far, with some success I got about 50% conversion. This got me about 1.4 liters of 60% spirit.
When the weather cools down again I will be trying again, I think I know where I went wrong and will make adjustments.

I hope this is of some help to you.
Charis

Postby andy1982 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:49 pm

How big is your mash tun
andy1982

Postby andy1982 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:52 pm

R u doing strips then a spirit run cuz that seems like a lot of strips to get a decent amount
andy1982

Postby Charis » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:56 pm

I have a 50lt round esky mash tun which means I add hot water to the grain.

I don't do strip runs as I have a 4 plate bubbler but I will be adding the tails into each new run, to develop more flavour.
Charis

Return to All Grain Brewing