the modern distiller

Temperature of your of your hot water service

Re: Temperature of your of your hot water service

Postby Maheel » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:06 pm

mine about the same by the time i bucket it to the boiler it's 60 ish and then a quick heat up to about 67-68'c and add the grain :)

i use the "hot water" tap on my beer mashing to save time.... some say it's bad practice but plenty do it..
VM / Boka / ?
Shotgun Pot head
50L electric Kegs
and associated shed filling stuff......
Maheel

Postby crozdog » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:56 pm

+2

I did that before installing an instant gas HWS in the shed
crozdog

Postby scarecrow » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:40 pm

Mine is set to 60C.

By the way that's a bad stutter bad stutter you got there you got there looey. :D

scarecrow
scarecrow

Postby TassieStiller » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:48 pm

I believe that modern hot water cylinders are set to 60C max by law now to prevent scalding, especially of children. Dad's old HWC used to literally burn you and bloody quick, but it bit the dust and was replaced with a new one, which was set at 60C.

Another advantage of the lower temp is a saving in electricity bill as it is maintained at a lower temperature. Generally, your hot water is the majority of your bill, so it is also a good thing financially not being too high.

As a qualifier so it can be seen that I have an idea on what I said, the plumber installing the HWC told me about the 60C stuff, and I work for the electricity distributer here and know from my own training about the cost savings etc :geek:
Emptyglass designed and manafactured 4 inch, 5 plate reflux column
50L boiler with home built auto voltage controller on 3600W Element
TassieStiller

Postby Troppo » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:01 am

Had a new house built and was told under the new guidlines (nsw) the temper vales are set to 49c to help stop burns and you need to inslall seperate lines to kitchen and laundry if you want hotter water

Problem is mine was done in summer so when the cold water is mixed by the valve in winter hot water was only 45c too cold for a shower by some of my mob and absolutley useless for hot water in the kitchen

Valve is fitted at HW tank so i adjusted it to a more comfortable temp for the lady folks

Easy to ajust, just undo locking ring and turn adjuster in derection of arrows to increase or decrease then relock when all done and satisfied with temp
Troppo

Return to All Grain Brewing