the modern distiller

Gift recommendations

Gift recommendations

Postby LunaBrille » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:46 pm

My neighbor/long time friend (and electrician) has helped me out considerably with numerous projects over the years. The latest being getting me wired up for my new hobby. Tonight he mentioned that he would like to try his hand at brewing beer so I made a mental note and decided I would buy him a kit as a partial thank you for helping me out.

I have never bought a beer kit before and thought I would ask the home brewers here for some advice. So, What kit would you reccomend for someone who:

1. Is a huge connisour of micro brews that always has several wide ranging flavors and types on hand. Wheat, cherry, ambers, pilsners, etc.... but if we stop at a bar after a ride he orders a miller lite (our pallettes couldn't be further apart in that regard)

2. Has never brewed beer, or anything else. so a starters kit with all or most of what he would need to get going but not outgrow after the first time brewing. I've seen the kits at Walmart and thinks he deserves a bit more than what those have to offer, lol. I don't mind spending more either, he often goes out of his way to lend a hand.

We've known each other for over 30 years so I know that he would enjoy brewing. Hopefully once I get him fermenting beer, I can coax him into the world of fermenting batches for the still as well! ;)

Any thoughts or recommendations are much appreciated!
LunaBrille

Re: Gift recommendations

Postby crozdog » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:41 pm

have a look at the packages morebeer.com has. they have several options depending on how much you want to spend.

Note that basic gear like fermenters and bottles live for ages, so he can start with kit & kilo brewing then progress to extract and all grain (by buying / making extra equipment) & keep using the original gear.

Go and have a chat with your local home brew shop too.
crozdog

Postby Prairiepiss » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:49 pm

First thing. Yes he mite be a connisour. But there is nothing like brewing your first batch. Something about making your own just makes it taste better. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Next. To get him started right. You are correct those Wal-Mart craptastic kits are not what you want. But good stuff is a bit pricey. If I was to buy a kit that included everything needed and the stuff for the first batch. At my local homebrew shop. We are looking at $150 to $200.
Brewing equip kit runs around $100 to $150. And the malt extract kits are between $40 and $65.

I personaly would buy him the equipment kit. And let him chose the ingredient kit. Or give him a gift certificate for a ingredient kit. Or part of one.

Let him start with a good malt extract kit. They are easy and make some good beer. Between the two local homebrew shops I have. They have around 30 to 40 different kits available. But a wammo is a plain Jane American pils easy and cheap. I helped a friend get into brewing. I got him setup with some fermenters and miss equipment. That was the first kit he bought. Probably best because of how easy and cheap it is. Compared to some of the kits.

Bla Bla Bla. There are so anyways you can go about this. I just did about the same with another friend of mine. I bought him a wine making equipment kit. And sent a jug of Apple juice with it. Little easier then a beer kit. And cheaper. But wine isn't for everyone. Until they start fermenting. Then they want to ferment everything. :mrgreen:

And its fun for you when you give them the gift. And then when they want you to come taste test it. :handgestures-thumbupright:

He mite get you into brewing and you get him into distilling.
I am not the distiller your were looking for!
Prairiepiss

Postby LunaBrille » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:25 pm

Thanks for the info guys. We do not have a home brew shop in town, aside from the Walmart offerings. The kits at moorebeer seem worlds better.

PP, we seem to be thinking alike. I KNOW that he will really get into this, and he REALLY needs a hobby so I want to get him set up right. There is a kit with the pot, wort chiller, etc for 335.00. Pricey since I could easily make the chiller and pot from what I have on hand. But it might be best just to buy the big kit and have it shipped to him... and then stay out of his way and see what happens. Like you said he might get me into brewing and I might need what I have on hand. ;) Besides, he was nice enough to bring his work van up tonight run two new 220 circuits for the still, moved the service for my compressor and before he left, threw down a 50' 220 extension cord and said, "thought you might like that for your welder" and refused any sort of payment. Sorry started rambling

What do you guys think of this kit, overkill? http://morebeer.com/products/personal-h ... eluxe.html
LunaBrille

Postby crozdog » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:05 pm

I'd be stoked if someone gave me that when I started!

Sounds like he's a good bloke. look after him, cause he's looking after you.
crozdog

Postby LunaBrille » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:37 pm

Thanks guys, Both are good suggestions. :handgestures-thumbupright: I'll head over that-a-way now.

EDIT:

PM sent
LunaBrille

Postby Jaybird » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:13 pm

LunaBrille
Thanks for the opportunity to help you out on this! What a great thing your doing for your friend!

Punkin thanks for recommending us!

Cheers
Jay
Need a False Bottom for your converted keg, kettle or cooler?
We have been custom building False Bottom solutions for over 8 years for everything you can think of.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com
Jaybird

Postby LunaBrille » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:32 am

Thanks for your assistance, Jay. My buddy will probably use the kit more for fermenting TPW instead of IPA... Kinda my selfish/evil plan all along I guess. ;-) hmmm, Should have got him bigger fermenters...
LunaBrille

Return to Kit Brewing