the modern distiller

kit brew thingamebob

kit brew thingamebob

Postby Googe » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:33 pm

Well, seems not.many people.kit brew :lol: . I've been doing it for about 7 years, mates do all grain and I've never been a big fan of it, plus I'm lazy :roll: . Anyway, recently I did a coppers lager, bottled it, then sat there looking at it and thought hmm wonder if I can treat that dunder as a second gen, I'm in distilling mode while thinking this :lol: . So chucked a coppers lager tin in, 500g raw sugar, 1 kg Ldm and warm.water then pitiched. Started at 1050, bit low, after a week it's on 1000 rufly, racked it. Tastes really nice so far, smooth. Will give it another week then bottle it.
Googe

Re: kit brew thingamebob

Postby Linny » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:38 pm

whats these bottles you speak of .... should be kegging LOL
Linny

Postby Maheel » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:06 pm

do you mean you re-used the yeast cake ?

i do that all the time with my beers no drama even when i have dry hopped the fermenter
for the purists it might mean you are over pitching your yeast. some say it's better just to get a cup full of the yeast cake and only use that
VM / Boka / ?
Shotgun Pot head
50L electric Kegs
and associated shed filling stuff......
Maheel

Postby 1 2many » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:13 am

googe wrote:Well, seems not.many people.kit brew :lol: . I've been doing it for about 7 years, mates do all grain and I've never been a big fan of it, plus I'm lazy :roll: . Anyway, recently I did a coppers lager, bottled it, then sat there looking at it and thought hmm wonder if I can treat that dunder as a second gen, I'm in distilling mode while thinking this :lol: . So chucked a coppers lager tin in, 500g raw sugar, 1 kg Ldm and warm.water then pitiched. Started at 1050, bit low, after a week it's on 1000 rufly, racked it. Tastes really nice so far, smooth. Will give it another week then bottle it.

Googe your mates must have been keeping the all grain brew to them selves all grain whoops concentrate. :-o
1 2many

Postby Kapea » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:58 am

With the quality of malt extract these days excellent beers can be brewed from kits. Going all grain just gives you more control over the brewing process (but doubles the length of your brew day)

I let my cold break settle in the fermenter then remove it before I pitch yeast. That way harvesting yeast from the finished ferment does not include trub carry-over.
Up is away from Earth.
Down is towards Earth. :happy-bouncyshadowgreen:
Kapea

Postby Googe » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:04 pm

Lol linny, after a year not putting a brew down due to distilling I havnt missed washing bottles one little bit!!! :lol: . I never even thought about it before Maheel, always been paranoid about messing with brews and screwing it up!. I've tried Heaps of different ag from different people 12 many and just never got it, I come home.and have one of mine and like it so much better, maybe I just havnt found the right ag brewer yet or my tastes are different :lol: . Yeah I'm struggling to find time to do kits let alone ag kapea. Thanks for the tip.about using a small amount of the cake Maheel, kapea, will have to give it a.go.
Googe

Return to Kit Recipes