the modern distiller

Non Kit Brewing - Ginger Beer

If it is not covered by the other threads and you can drink it...here is its home.

Re: Non Kit Brewing - Ginger Beer

Postby MitchyBourbon » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:23 pm

I have also been giving this some thought. I have read where some people add something to stop the fermentation before all the sugar is converted to alcohol so that there is some sugar left to provide sweetness. I forget what it was that was added, sorry. I think that something similar is done to make sweet wines. This sounds a little hit or miss to me. I was thinking it might be easier to just add an unfermentable sugar in addition to your usual recipe. I haven't either tried of these methods yet, I do make home made ginger ale. I might try using my ginger ale recipe with some unfermentable sugar from the brew shop.

1.5 kg fresh ginger root
10 lemons
2.5 kg sugar
1 ltr water

Process
Juice lemons
Juice ginger
combine in a pot and boil. It is done when a cooled spoonful pours like syrup.

To drink mix syrup with soda water to taste.
I'm goin the distance...
MitchyBourbon

Postby Tinshed » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:31 pm

To stop a fermentation you can use campden tablets which I'm pretty sure is a sulfite to kill off the remaining yeast.
But the amount used varies on how much residual sugar is left in the ferment and nutrients also.
There is also a potassium somethingorother that works with the campden tablets to make sure the ferment has finished.
The misses used it once with a cider and she liked the sweetness left over.
Tinshed

Postby Prairiepiss » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:53 pm

Potassium Sorbate,
I am not the distiller your were looking for!
Prairiepiss

Postby Tinshed » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:18 pm

Thats the stuff, thanks Prairiepiss I was too lazy to check the packet on the shelves
Tinshed

Postby Troppo » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:01 am

GTH wrote:G'day Guys,

I've been a long time kit beer maker before getting in distilling.

I still love a beer but now know I can't handle the malted wheat/barley in drinks unless they have been distilled.

I thought I would start making ginger beer instead to satisfy my thirst on hot days but found the kits at the shop all contain malted barley, and artificial sweeteners. :(

SO, I threw a quick wash together on Sunday and it's bubbling it's head of with no ( DAP etc ) nutrients added.

I made up :-

600g of fresh ginger ( blended to death )
5 dried apricots, cut into quarters ( was going to use sultanas, but got home and had none ... )
1 cinnamon stick, cut half lengthwise
1 1/2 Lemons sliced up
1kg of white sugar ( added just before the yeast, not boiled )

Boiled all this up for about half an hour, allowed to cool, strained and dumped into my fermenter, topped up to 23L and added in a tied up stocking ( yes, womens leg wear - homebrand nylons, brand new ... ) filled with about two cup fulls of the strained ingredients for more flavour and pitched 7g of bakers yeast. Smells fantastic !!!

I am reading allot of people say that ginger beer done like this is not so nice to drink as it's not sweet like the ginger beer people used to make on their benchtops then refrigerate in unsealed bottles while the ferment was still active?

Does anyone make their own ginger beer? what is your recipe/method?

Cheers
GTH

GTH

You can bottle some before it finishes fermenting for some residual sweetness if you like but you have to drink it pretty quick as it will still keep fermenting in the bottle and eventually you will have bombs.

Another way is to add a nonfermentable sugar (xylo sweet) before you bottle if you want some sweetness. Try about 3 tablespoons per 4 littres then you can increase or decrease to suit your taste.

Sometimes i pull a bit of cider off early into a 2 litre plastic juice bottle, squeeze it in a little stick the cap on and shove it in the fridge. Poor a nice glass of each day then just resqueze n pop back in the fridge.

I also add yeast to straight bought juice put glad wrap with a pin hole over top leave for a day or two then pop in fridge. I do this when i experiment to see what the dif. flavours are like fermented. Quick and easy works great with apple juice and some of the mixed ones :D
Troppo

Postby FullySilenced » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:00 am

A teaspoon of priming sugar would make a bomb... and a hell of a fizzy drink me thinks

FS
FullySilenced

Postby Aussiedownunder » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:35 pm

Years ago when we lived in a caravan exploding bottles riped holes in the anex
If its free pick it up
Aussiedownunder

Postby FullySilenced » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:26 am

Wasn't figuring on 750ml bottles was thinking or 12 oz ones.. ooops just under half that size
FullySilenced

Postby Frank » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:15 pm

@Punkin, thank you for the recipe. It reads very well and summer is just around the corner. Yum.
@GTH, I have a 'grandma recipe' for GB somewhere that I'll find and post too (it is on Aussie Dist, but I'm not ;) )

Long ago for sure.... but I remember the priming sugar was used for 'ensuring' the GB fizz. I also remember homebrew GB bottles with corks in them, stacked somewhat horizontally and the corks tied to string around the bottleneck. In summer, a regular 'job' was to replace the corks in the bottleneck :roll:
Frank

Postby scarecrow » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:27 pm

One of the problems of adding (ginger) oils to a sugar base is that it will hydrolise. What happens is that the ginger oils will break down over time and loose their effectiveness due to the sugar. How long this will take I don't know. May be weeks, may be years.

A way around this is to make your sugar syrup in the usual way, but don't add the ginger. Instead, add the ginger to a good high proof vodka. The alcohol will preserve the ginger.

When making up the mix, add the soda, syrup and (ginger) vodka to get an alcoholic drink. Add a tiny shake of white pepper for an interesting effect.

Try adding a bit of lime for a slightly "sharper" taste.

Prost.

scarecrow
scarecrow

Postby Troppo » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:43 am

law-of-ohms wrote:yum, what abour using enzymes to make some ginger beer? ne1 done that?

From what i understand and have read elsewhere the ginger plant is full of enzymes (amylase i think it was and it did't state what type) and if i remember correctly it said to blend afinger of it with a cup of water

Have some growing out the back to make GB but will have to pull my finger out and try it in an all grain :idea:

Cheers
Troppo

Postby scarecrow » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:30 pm

Made mitchybourbons recipe up today. With a few tweaks it was to my liking and really nice and refreshing.
I used limes, added about 10 diced dried apricots, a cup of sultanas and a teaspoon of cinnamon sugar.

Once you add enough syrup to get past the bicarb taste it is really nice in a tall glass with ice.
If you make it too thick and syrupy, it is harder to mix into cold soda.

Thanks mitchybourbon, I'll keep this one.

scarecrow
scarecrow

Postby MitchyBourbon » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:02 pm

Your welcome, glad you liked it.
I'm goin the distance...
MitchyBourbon

Postby jake_leg » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:45 pm

Thanks for these recipes with the "plant", I am sure my Mum used to make something like that when we were kids which we thought was great. She kept putting stuff in a jug with the special ginger thing in that was kept on a shelf in the pantry. I never had any idea what was in it. She can't remember how to make it and my own attempts to make the stuff have been complete rubbish. Maybe I'll have another crack at it in the summer.
jake_leg

Return to Wine making, Mead, Cider, Rocket Fuel etc