the modern distiller

Nuclear Whiskey / Nuclear Rum

Re: Nuclear Whiskey / Nuclear Rum

Postby heartcut » Thu May 02, 2013 9:15 am

IlliniDistiller wrote:BTW, a handle of LTD is $15 + tax here, so no big investment. (It wasn't ANY investment for me though...) It really is fairly nasty stuff.

In College, we thought the acronym for LTD was Long Term Disability
heartcut

The reason lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place is that the same place isn't there the second time.
Willie Tyler
heartcut

Postby wv_cooker » Thu May 02, 2013 9:52 am

jarhead wrote:BTW I am not intending on doing any test of the effectiveness of this process. Just the safety aspect more or less. I don't have the means or knowledge to do anything beyond that. Besides the results of the process speaks for themselves. I am just doing some worst case scenario tests such as: accidentally setting the time for 30:00 instead of 3:00 and forgetting about it or fork in there just to see exactly what will happen.

I'll be watching the news closely, I can see this reaching out over the entire state. :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Be careful!!
wv_cooker

Postby jarhead » Fri May 03, 2013 1:29 pm

No newsworthy results today. The slightly used (20 years old I would say) microwave made it through four tests before it decided to lay it's head to rest. Only thing worth mentioning is that I had a slight flash boil at 180F after heating with the lid on. It also bent the lid while heating from the pressure but that's about it. The news that I'm more excited about is the nuclear SF that I'm enjoying right now. Did 3 cycles on JD chips and 2 more on toasted cherry at 130 proof. Diluted to 80 proof and it's unbelievable with Ginger Ale! Just a slight bit on the woody side but that is probably from the freshly toasted cherry or maybe one too many sessions on the JD chips. The cherry comes through nicely and makes for a very interesting flavor :handgestures-thumbupright: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Lead, follow, or get the ***k out of the way!
jarhead

Postby jarhead » Fri May 03, 2013 3:19 pm

Oh I forgot to mention that all of this was done with 151 proof fores and the last test I did was nuke 100 grams of it for 10 minutes bone dry without incident. If that don't tell ya something then I'm not sure what will! I will be out of town for a few days and the ridiculous testing will resume. Pretty sure the outcome will be unless you do something really foolish that this process is not gonna cause you any grief. It will make a fine drink in a matter of hours though!
jarhead

Postby chill » Sun May 05, 2013 3:54 am

Jarhead, thank you for doing this. You have convinced me that this is safe to try. The idea made me nervous when I first heard it.

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
chill

Postby heartcut » Sun May 05, 2013 5:04 am

Did some testing with a catalytic LEL element while nuking some UJSM. Put the element in the air out vent while heating the hootch, then took the (qt) jar's temperature and stuck the element inside the jar's opening. The LEL in the exhaust air never got to 1%, indicating the fan moves enough air to dilute the vapors a lot. There was enough vapor generated to blow the s*^t out of a microwave without a fan, might be good to check if it's blowing air.

Microwave Treatment LEL Observations
MSA Catalytic cell calibrated to Propane @ 40% LEL (1.7%V = 100% LEL), Ethanol @ 90% relative response (3.1%V = 100% LEL).
5/4/13

Jar 1 UJSM Gen 6 3/17/13
Tare jar and lid 400g
172 @ 69◦F = 164 proof
20g JD chips, light char, ¾” vanilla bean
Gross = 1700g
Taste = medium heads
2 min = 136◦F
LEL @ exhaust stayed at 0%, LEL at mouth of jar = 39%
After 1 min pause, lid on, 30 sec = 144◦F
LEL @ exhaust stayed at 0%, LEL at mouth of jar = 14%
Gross = 1600g

Jar 2 UJSM Gen 6 3/17/13
170 @ 69◦F = 162 proof
Gross = 990g
Taste = light heads
2:30 min = 156◦F
LEL @ exhaust stayed at 0%, LEL at mouth of jar = 75%
Gross = messed up, added wood after weighing

Jar 4 UJSM Gen 6 3/17/13
166 @ 69◦F = 158 proof
Gross = 1110g
Taste = hearts, drinkable neat
2:30 min = 148◦F
LEL @ exhaust stayed at 0%, LEL at mouth of jar = 92%
Gross = 1100g

Jar 7 UJSM Gen 6 3/17/13
170 @ 69◦F = 162 proof
Gross = 1030g
Taste = late hearts, strong flavor, very good
2:30 min = 146◦F
LEL @ exhaust stayed at 0%, LEL at mouth of jar = >100%
Gross = 1020g

Jar 8 UJSM Gen 6 3/17/13
156 @ 70◦F = 148 proof
Gross = 1050g
Taste = late hearts, strong flavor, very good
2:30 min = 145◦F
LEL @ exhaust stayed at 0%, LEL at mouth of jar = 67%
Gross = 1045g

Jar 9 UJSM Gen 6 3/17/13
168 @ 70◦F = 160 proof
Gross = 1010g
Taste = early tails, good spicy flavor
2:30 min = 150◦F
LEL @ exhaust stayed at 0%, LEL at mouth of jar = 41%
Gross = 1005g
heartcut

The reason lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place is that the same place isn't there the second time.
Willie Tyler
heartcut

Postby FullySilenced » Tue May 07, 2013 2:19 pm

The HD thread just hit 26 pages and 300 replies.... wow
FullySilenced

Postby Jaybird » Tue May 07, 2013 3:16 pm

The thing I see about this is that heads burn off at a lower temp right?.... So even if you did a first running in the Microwave and never put the cap on it your going to blow out the heads first making it a better spirit right out of the gate thus giving you the ability to choose a little farther into the heads cuts and still being able to make a good spirit out of it.

This is a real interesting thread!

Cheers
Jay
Need a False Bottom for your converted keg, kettle or cooler?
We have been custom building False Bottom solutions for over 8 years for everything you can think of.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com
Jaybird

Postby FullySilenced » Tue May 07, 2013 11:59 pm

Just try it Jaybird.... works like a charm just taste it after the 2nd cycle to get the taste profile you prefer... :obscene-drinkingcheers:

FS
FullySilenced

Postby jarhead » Fri May 10, 2013 12:36 am

chill wrote:Jarhead, thank you for doing this. You have convinced me that this is safe to try. The idea made me nervous when I first heard it.

:obscene-drinkingcheers:

No problem chill. I was a little apprehensive the first time I put my first jar in and hit the start button too. FS and others had done this pretty extensively before they ever posted this though and I know they would not suggest anything that was unsafe. I mainly did this for the folks on HD so more people would try it out. The tests were just kind of worst case scenario stuff and so far nothing bad has happened. Gonna do a few more and will post those results up too. Right now I have some DWWG that is finished that needs some heat applied to it for a few hours :grin:
jarhead

Postby chill » Fri May 10, 2013 1:14 pm

I tend to be more than a little nervous around flammable liquids and heat / ignition sources. I was a bit too, er, experimental in my youth. I'd probably be arrested these days! My second bottle is on the go now. Good one FS!

Chuck
chill

Postby chill » Fri May 10, 2013 1:14 pm

Just occurred to me, I wonder how this would work with neutral and fresh fruit. Sounds like it is worth a try.
chill

Postby jarhead » Fri May 10, 2013 1:20 pm

Not sure about the fruit, chill. I think it would depend on the amount of pectin it contains. You may end up with thick liquid. Not at all sure about that though. Maybe some brandy makers could chime in on that.
jarhead

Postby chill » Fri May 10, 2013 2:54 pm

Pectin, good point. I have done macerations, but never heated them. I will give it a try once I make more neutral. I love to experiment.
chill

Postby jarhead » Fri May 10, 2013 3:06 pm

chill wrote:Pectin, good point. I have done macerations, but never heated them. I will give it a try once I make more neutral. I love to experiment.

Hell have a go at it! Might turn out great. Strawberry vodka preserves might be a big seller to the hardcore drinkers too if it thickens up on ya :lol:
jarhead

Postby wv_cooker » Sun May 12, 2013 3:04 am

The fruit works great, I have done Blackberry's, strawberry's, and cherry's. I added about a 1/2 cup of sugar, fruit and nuked 2 sessions of 2 minutes. can't keep it in the house the whole family drinks it up as soon as I get a pint done. Have to start using courts I guess. Add sugar to your liking and remember the fruit comes to a boil faster than chips.
wv_cooker

Postby FullySilenced » Sun May 12, 2013 3:48 am

Could you post a detailed recipe for the fruits you have workied up please.. guess we could call em

"Fruit Nukins"
FullySilenced

Postby chill » Sun May 12, 2013 10:27 am

Thank you wv_cooker, that is good information. I am with FS, details please! "Sweet Nukins"?

Chuck
chill

Postby jarhead » Sun May 12, 2013 10:43 am

Hell yeah WV! Fill us in! Sounds like you are the authority on this right now!
jarhead

Postby Badger » Mon May 13, 2013 11:55 pm

FullySilenced - I sent you a PM. Did you get it?
Badger

Postby FullySilenced » Tue May 14, 2013 12:29 am

NOTHING BADGER
FullySilenced

Postby wv_cooker » Wed May 15, 2013 4:29 am

Sorry guy's been busy for a couple days. Recipe for fruit was simple. Filled jar 2/3 with fruit, added 1/2 cup sugar, filled with 50% ABV Vodka that I already had setting around, nuked for 2 - 1 minute increments as fruit heats to a boil rather rapidly. Let set to cool then repeat for a second nuking, let cool and drink to your liking.

edited to add: The Vodka was Birdwatchers That I had diluted to 100% or 50% ABV.

1 shot of Blackberry mixed with 1 shot of JD in an 8 oz. glass filled the rest of the way with Pepsi and I am in heaven every evening before bedtime.

Thanks FS for bringing this method to light. Being new to all of this I won't have any long term aged spirits for a while. This method allows me to try different types of aging almost instantly and I have been very happy with the results. My family has also, My wife loves the different fruits and she has never been a drinker.
wv_cooker

Postby jarhead » Wed May 15, 2013 7:16 am

Glad to hear the fruit turned out well. Got some DWWG that I'm not that happy with so I think I will throw a little fruit in there and give it a shot. Thanks for posting it up.
jarhead

Postby FullySilenced » Wed May 15, 2013 1:28 pm

This thread on HD just hit 30 pages... never dreamed that one coming....

Thank You to all who have tried this method.... and continue to develop it to it fullest...

FS
FullySilenced

Postby wv_cooker » Wed May 15, 2013 3:02 pm

FullySilenced wrote:This thread on HD just hit 30 pages... never dreamed that one coming....

Thank You to all who have tried this method.... and continue to develop it to it fullest...

FS

Thank you for Bringing us the method. Some will say it can't replace aging long term, and it probably can't, but you can make some very passable drink in a hurry with this method. As I said on HD, I am in no way scientific and couldn't explain what takes place in the process in any way. I also don't think anyone else could without some extensive testing in a lab. But I have made some very passable drink using JD Chips, Cherry Chips, Heart oak strips that I got at a specialty lumber store here, and the three fruits so far. I don't think you can beat from distilling the wash to either an oaked drink or a macerated drink in 2 days at most. In my dumb Hillbilly opinion the method is great and it works. :obscene-drinkingcheers: :handgestures-thumbupright:
wv_cooker

Postby jarhead » Wed May 15, 2013 4:34 pm

Hey Hey! Dutchmancreek corrected me on this. We're not hillbillies... we're mountain folk :lol:
jarhead

Postby chill » Wed May 15, 2013 4:39 pm

Thank you for the details on the fruit wv_cooker. I am going to try that once I get some more neutral made. I have been a bit busy lately.
chill

Postby jarhead » Fri May 17, 2013 7:58 am

Made some Fruit Nukins last night with frozen blackberries. Filtered it this morning, put it in the fridge, and made up a cocktail with nuked DWWG on JD chips around noon. Great! Just got it back out of the fridge and noticed that it has started to gel (think jelly) up on me slightly. It may be because I used frozen fruit and had to heat longer the first go around to get it up to temp. Not really sure. This happened to you at all wv_cooker?
jarhead

Postby FullySilenced » Fri May 17, 2013 10:37 am

ITs got a lot of sugar and fruit sugar and juice in it... take it out of the fridge and see what happens...

you got a high abv so it shouldn't go bad by any means...

FS
FullySilenced

Postby jarhead » Fri May 17, 2013 11:04 am

Yeah you take it out of the fridge and it loosens right back up once it warms up just a bit. That was my initial concern with heating the fruit was the pectin making it into jelly. Flavor is still great... it just gels up a bit when refrigerated. Might have been the frozen fruit and the longer heat up time FS.
jarhead

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Fri May 17, 2013 11:13 am

jarhead wrote:Made some Fruit Nukins last night with frozen blackberries. Filtered it this morning, put it in the fridge, and made up a cocktail with nuked DWWG on JD chips around noon. Great! Just got it back out of the fridge and noticed that it has started to gel (think jelly) up on me slightly. It may be because I used frozen fruit and had to heat longer the first go around to get it up to temp. Not really sure. This happened to you at all wv_cooker?

The test for pectin is to add ethanol and see if it gels. You've got pectin! :grin:
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob-books/making-fine-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But..
Zymurgy Bob

Postby jarhead » Fri May 17, 2013 11:19 am

Sure do ZB. Would the longer cook time to bring it to temp have brought it on vs fresh fruit?
jarhead

Postby wv_cooker » Fri May 17, 2013 2:04 pm

I used all fresh fruit from Wally World Jarhead none of mine jell. Could be the sugar already in the frozen stuff and adding more. Just a thought. I keep mine in the fridge so the family can just grab and drink straight.
wv_cooker

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Fri May 17, 2013 4:11 pm

jarhead wrote:Sure do ZB. Would the longer cook time to bring it to temp have brought it on vs fresh fruit?

I'm really not sure. Sorry, Jarhead.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob-books/making-fine-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But..
Zymurgy Bob

Postby jarhead » Sat May 18, 2013 5:44 am

wv_cooker wrote:I used all fresh fruit from Wally World Jarhead none of mine jell. Could be the sugar already in the frozen stuff and adding more. Just a thought. I keep mine in the fridge so the family can just grab and drink straight.

I'll use fresh next time. It's still damn good so it won't last long :grin:
jarhead

Postby wv_cooker » Sat May 18, 2013 2:02 pm

yep, mine is all gone and I promised FS a couple pics. Oh well guess the peach I just made will have to do til I make some more berry tomorrow. :grin: The peach I just made was made from a jar of peaches from the grocery. I made 1 quart, filled half with peaches and only used a 1/4 cup of sugar. will let you know how it turns out. adjust the sugar and sweetness to your liking guy's, I just started with something to see how it would work. My wife likes sweet so I added a 1/2 cup to fresh berrys and fruit, and now I am trying a 1/4 cup with already preserved in syrup. we'll see how the peach turns out.
wv_cooker

Postby timmyjane » Mon May 20, 2013 11:54 am

Took a gallon each of apple, cherry and oak to a work meeting with a lot of drinkers this week. Every seemed to really enjoy it. Strange thing was how everyones taste were different. Some thought the oak was the best while others thought it tasted like charcoal. Others thought the apple was the best. One guy loved the cherry. All in all everyone seemed impressed. My boss's boss called me a Mother F'er because I hadnt invited him to my room the first night to drink. Pretty funny. Ive decided that Im going to make my way to the top of the ladder via whiskey. :)
timmyjane

Postby FullySilenced » Sun May 26, 2013 5:06 am

Son is having a MEMORIAL Day Party at his house... sent a few things... corn likker, sweet feed simi neutral... and ....

:obscene-moneypiss: NUked Fire Piss is a good recipe.... follow it as PP posted it nuke it till you have a hotter than hell cinnamon solution.... cut it with distilled and sugar and fire up the crowd.... nuked it 4 or 5 times ... added sugar to taste and damn hot and really really tasty... sent it off with a couple cinn sticks in the jar...
:angry-banghead: edit: oops just realized i sent this out at 150 proof no wonder it was so friggin good hot as f U K gotta remember to not taste and mix....

Made Blueberry FRUIT NUKENS 12oz of blueberries 50aby 1/2 cup of white sugar... nuked 4 times added a little more sugar to taste AWESOME

PP .... WV cooker :bow-blue: :bow-blue: :bow-blue: :bow-blue:

thank you :handgestures-thumbupright:
FullySilenced

Postby bachman » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:05 pm

I had to try this nuculear aging process, so I filled a quart mason jar with 62% rum from a fresh rum spirit run and nucked it to 150 degs with three charred oak sticks in each jar. It is pretty darn good after three repetitions. here is a pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bachman

Postby Bohunk » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:24 am

Well FS has made a believer out of me. I tried the nuke trick using cut up barrle staves, and was not happy with the results, NO he said it has to be JD chips. So, OK I bought a bag of JD chips, and it does work. Rum still needs some time to age, but the nuke process hurried it along about a year. Thanks for doing all the heavy lifting on this process, saved us all a lot of time. FS your my hero !!!

The Ole Bohunk
Bohunk

Postby jarhead » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:31 am

Bohunk wrote:FS your my hero !!!

Don't give him the bighead! :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
jarhead

Postby wv_cooker » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:01 pm

jarhead wrote:
Bohunk wrote:FS your my hero !!!

Don't give him the bighead! :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Oh Lord I see it swelling! :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
wv_cooker

Postby emptyglass » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:50 pm

Ok, I cant resist the pressure!
I'm going to try this. Nothing but positive comments.

But do I really have to use JD chips?

I normaly use barrel staves, cut, split, toasted and charred, then 3 months in a barrel. By then the angels and the tap at the bottom are responsable for the then empty condition of the barrel.
I hate buying chips.
Would my favorite staves work ok, you think?

Long live the nuclear oven. Or nucular, whatever you like.
My page
Making stuff for members
emptyglass

Location: Usually the shed, sometimes the cellar. Central Vic, Australia.

Postby midcarolina » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:12 am

Empty....... Others have used staves with great results.. after all jd chips are just staves chipped..

I would prolly try the non charred or toasted first....... then try other in different test jars to see what you like...
Three can keep a secret..........if TWO are dead!!
midcarolina

Postby emptyglass » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:22 am

Cool, I'll give it a go with what I have on hand.

I don't think the long haired boss will tolerate this one, I might have to do some serious microwave scheduling, so it coincides with her absence.
My page
Making stuff for members
emptyglass

Postby Linny » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:24 am

i did a dumb down version of this today ,,, i just chucked my white rum & oak in the sink with hot water and added a boiling jug ... left for a 1/2 hour ,,, repeat 2 -3 times ,,, pretty happy with the colour i wanted ,,,, im trying to age this to at least a month before i spice it. so hopefully its given me a head start
Linny

Postby emptyglass » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:30 am

Thats been my thing all along, as with others, "microwaved hooch??" WTF?
I'm happy to give it a go, but it does seem like its heat/cooling related.
But if the "tuckerfuckerup-erer" works, so be it. Keen to hear your results Linny.
My page
Making stuff for members
emptyglass

Postby Linny » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:33 am

I would microwave , but i use the cookie jars with the swing top .... =metal .... also the cookie jars dont fit in my dishwasher ,,, so thats the next best thing
Linny

Postby FullySilenced » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:18 am

EG just cut your staves into little biddy chunks... the more the merrier use about 150gr of chips to the liter i have used up to 250gr to the liter with good results JC chips are cheap and they have a great smell when you open the bag...

have fun,

FS

I got some nuked stuff (75abv) i filtered then added a half cup of chips to then sealed up the jar.. after a month its almost so dark you can't see through the jar... I did two or three jars this way for simi long term testing ... well one jar is almost empty now cut it back to 40abv and the color is still dark but dang is it smooth and drinkable... i mean without coke, or water or anything just straight up in a sniffer glass
FullySilenced

Postby emptyglass » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:32 am

Mate, it must be good if you are prepared to drop the dang word.

I'm currently preparing some words to use if it works as good for me as it has for others.

Edit; I reckon I got a good lot of word prepared. Of mixed nationalitys.
Last edited by emptyglass on Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
My page
Making stuff for members
emptyglass

PreviousNext

Return to Ageing & Flavouring