the modern distiller

Nuclear Whiskey / Nuclear Rum

Re: Nuclear Whiskey / Nuclear Rum

Postby Linny » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:33 am

like what ,,, ??? like old school batman ,,, shazam ! pow ! bang !
Linny

Postby emptyglass » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:48 am

Shazam! works for me.

Could be a holy cow batman.

Look, I'm in the prep stages now. Things are taking shape.

(modern)You can take the blue pill and return to your barrel, or take the red pill and enter the microhole.

(retro)Use the micro force , Luke.

(appalichian)alls' ya bin doin and ya coulda bin usin ol wave power, and avoidin the laws yasall.

(scottish)Argh, largh mc laughin, ya karnt be callin it from the isles if it not bin thruogh your ol coppe 3 timies.

I'm working on scandinavia next.

Us aussies dont really care, as long as someones stiching us up.
My page
Making stuff for members
emptyglass

Location: Usually the shed, sometimes the cellar. Central Vic, Australia.

Postby wv_cooker » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:06 am

Go for it EG you will be pleasantly surprised! As for staves the ones that haven't had success seem to try and make their own. The ones taken from already used barrels seem to work best. Most seem to work better without toasting. I can vouch for the chips they work well. You can over do it and make it taste woody. About 3 rounds seems to be the average. Next you will be nuking all the different fruits you can find with some of that neutral. :grin: Another purist soon to be converted FS. :teasing-tease: :teasing-tease:
wv_cooker

Postby wv_cooker » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:18 am

@Linny

I read another thread on another forum that used a hot water bath to accomplish about the same outcome. In my observations of doing this I think what is happening is similar to the woman canning the years food supply. First the heat swells the pores of the wood or fruit or whatever you use. Next the warm alcohol reacts faster with the ingredients that you use and thirdly the jar seals and draws it's own vacuum just like in canning. This makes me think that if you didn't want to use a microwave you could heat up a pan of hot water and accomplish the same effect. Still fast but just not as fast as microwaving. Any other opinions welcome.

edited: for spelling.
wv_cooker

Postby FullySilenced » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:27 am

Other forums have a few braniacs on them... one took temps inside the staves and found that the temp was hotter than the liquid... so microwaving works the wood differently than just a pan of hot water...

there are about 400 posts on HD regarding this method... read the last 50 or so and you should find the water method comparison and answer....

but if water works for you have fun... heat, vacuum, heat, vacuum seems to work....
FullySilenced

Postby wv_cooker » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:48 pm

I've read them all FS, you know that I am a confirmed Nuker. Too impatient to wait on other methods. :obscene-drinkingcheers: :handgestures-thumbupright:
wv_cooker

Postby FullySilenced » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:15 pm

Doc ... something new here you may want to read.....

http://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2013/08/ ... -microwave
FullySilenced

Postby the Doctor » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:45 pm

FullySilenced wrote:Doc ... something new here you may want to read.....

http://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2013/08/ ... -microwave

Very cool FS I will try this... I have couple of hundred liters of whiskey with a micro oxygenation unit in it at the moment... I am comparing it to 50 liters I did with a simple aquarium air pump ( which definately works) I held off on the ultrasonic unit I was looking at... I also have a new way of mashing which is very exciting and could change everything for craft distillers and hobbyists...expect a video within a month. Thanks for the link. It is good to see that people keep open minds to this. I tried your nuclear whiskey and loved the result but cannot see how to scale it up. I have talked to Proffesor Mckeon from the local Uni who is a lover of whiskey. He maintains that cavitation which can be induced at a micro level is the answer to agressive oak extraction...fascinating stuff. Take care mate.
Doc
[color=#00BF00]The Muppet who made this mess!
the Doctor

Postby FullySilenced » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:57 pm

I am working on a recipe list of Nuked Products ... any and all are welcome

IF you have something special you've made by nuking it please post it, even if it has been posted before....

or if you have a specific method that's working well for you.... like a recipe using x number of grams of chips/toasted oak per liter and the process is working well please share it again with the forum.

When i get em all collected in one pile i will post all the different recipes...

Happy Stillin,

FS
FullySilenced

Postby crow » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:35 pm

:text-offtopic: I think a decompression chamber would work surprisingly well at rapid aged spirit as far as extracting compounds from timber . most other methods accelerate the solvent action and therefore fail to fully replicate the flavour associated with barrel aged spirit because the more soluble compounds like tannins and phenols extract at a faster rate and in a higher proportion than some of the more subtle compounds. With ullage this happens at a much slower steady rate and the infusion of extracted compounds is more equalized, not necessarily better but to consistency of that which those who indulge are accustomed including the hobbiests own conditioned tastes :handgestures-thumbupright:
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,we borrow it from our Children.
native American proverb
crow

Postby FullySilenced » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:17 am

Crow,

Do a little research on Cleveland Whiskey and watch the videos... they use pressure, heat and vacuum to age their whiskey in one week... they put the cut up barrel in the sealed chamber....

FS

I found the articles and videos several months after i was actually nuking and posting about the process on the forums...
FullySilenced

Postby crow » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:37 pm

ok yeah I haven't heard of it but it makes perfect sense that it would work , just I don't come across to many chambers at garage sales round here So I doubt I'll ever get to test it
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,we borrow it from our Children.
native American proverb
crow

Postby emptyglass » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:16 am

crow wrote:ok yeah I haven't heard of it but it makes perfect sense that it would work , just I don't come across to many chambers at garage sales round here So I doubt I'll ever get to test it

Thats only because you don't go to the right garage sales :laughing-rolling:
My page
Making stuff for members
emptyglass

Location: Usually the shed, sometimes the cellar. Central Vic, Australia.

Postby FullySilenced » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:18 am

Holiday Candycane Peppermint Stick Nukins

I quart of 40 abv neutral or light flavored spirit,
4 peppermint candycanes the hard ones not the soft ones
4 to 6 tablespoons of sugar (sweeten to taste)

Crack the candycanes up in small pieces and drop them in the moonshine, add 4 tablespoons of sugar,
microwave for 2 minutes or until the product is warm to really warm. Shake it up to melt the cracked candy canes and sugar. Then let it rest and cool. Once its cool shake it again to make sure everything is dissolved.

Light a fire in the fireplace or pit and you can sip it from the jar or pour it on the rocks with a sprig of spearmint or peppermint.

Its not something you will drink gallons of but.... it is tasty and refreshing when with good company.

Happy Holidays to you all,

FS
FullySilenced

Postby FullySilenced » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:57 am

I have shared this LINK with a few people... hope this helps you with your nukin pleasures... and experiments....

http://www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/index.html

Happy Stillin

FS
FullySilenced

Postby Zombie » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:12 pm

I am surprised no one has posted this link yet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXuJILRgi

I may need to be "put down" soon.
Zombie

Postby Zombie » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:21 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeOcvwh3nCg

somehow the first link got changed... Just saying, BE CAREFULL!

Zombie

Postby wv_cooker » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:40 am

We have had members of this and other forums try to blow up a microwave using raw gasoline and metal cans to no avail, If you noticed the wire running inside their door and the electrical sparks inside they created this for effect.

Since Fullysilenced brought this method to us there have been hundreds if not thousands of people that have experimented with this method without incidence. It has been mentioned continually to air on caution when using this method and not to become complacent with it. You should never put metal in a microwave nor even turn your attention away for a second when using this method. with that said I personally have used it since it's inception with very good results.

I have also never had a single incident with this method.
wv_cooker

Postby Zombie » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:59 pm

I know you are not a bunch of children playing with power toys... The thread caught my attention because I worked as an electronic Tech out of collage. The magnatron transformer used in microwave ovens does go bad from time to time, and I have seen the plasma shows they put on.

It's just a scary idea to me. Especially if someone is sitting there watching...

This is just one quote from an online artical

"And why are the laminations welded to the core? That explains the three wires rather than four. A MOT produces such a large voltage that the insulation on the winding cannot withstand it without arcing to the core. Therefore to prevent arcing, the secondary is simply riveted directly to the core of the transformer at the inside. That keeps the voltage differential between inner windings and core very low and prevents electrical breakdown. The outside of the secondary has a single wire output which goes to the capacitor and magnetron, whose other side is connected to the metal chassis of the microwave. Therefore your secondary voltage exists between the core of the transformer and the outside flying lead of the secondary. The core is welded together so all the laminations are at the same potential to serve as the termination point for the secondary. Note that the core should always be grounded! If it is not, there is nothing keeping it from floating to god-knows-what-voltage above ground. "

I'll stick to Poodles!

Zombie

Postby FullySilenced » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:15 pm

Repeat... NO ONE HAS BEEN INJURED! NO ACCIDENTS! NOTHING HAS BLOWN UP
Try it or don't try it... your call but it does make a tasty sip....

Happy Stillin

FS
FullySilenced

Postby Zombie » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:53 pm

http://science.widener.edu/svb/olcc_saf ... ster_2.pdf
http://science.widener.edu/svb/olcc_saf ... ster_2.pdf

PLEASE just read thru this PDF.

The biggest concerns for me are two fold. Ignition sources/ faulty components
My biggest concern is the built in fan. With cheap arse China parts the chances of an arcing motor in the fan are quite high.
The door switch that turns on the light is another. These are simple contact switches that do spark.

I TRULY do not wish to bash. here. I just see someone getting killed/maimed, and I know no one wants to hear about such a thing. Sorry for the "noobie" intrusion on this thread. It scares me! Just google "flammable liquid microwave"

I also stress the cheap China parts that are no doubt used. I'll leave this thread alone now.

Zombie

Postby WVSHINER » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:47 pm

OK,OK! You made you're point! LOLOL.Actually thinking the same thing Zombie. The microwave will be 2 hundred feet from the house and be remotely activated.

Where's all my old Tom Swift junk? Can I buy a bomb disposal suit off e bay?

First time I read the nuke thread I thought maybe I should call ahead to see if they had an open bed in the burn unit before trying.
Black labs know stuff.
WVSHINER

Postby Stainless dude » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:11 am

Come on you two, this has been done thousands of times, this thread is on at least two other forums and if anyone had a problem we all would know about it. So instead of watching you tube videos of dumb asses blowing microwaves up by putting metal or some other stupid thing in there. Why don't you do something productive. Either try it or not but quit bad mouthing something which you are afraid to try. Zombie you need to do your research on the forums instead of on you tube..
Stainless dude

Postby Kapea » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:22 am

OK guys. Time to take it down a notch. This thread is about the techniques for making Nuclear Whiskey/Nuclear Rum. It is not a thread for pissing contests over microwave oven safety. Keep it civil or it will be locked.
Up is away from Earth.
Down is towards Earth. :happy-bouncyshadowgreen:
Kapea

Postby Kapea » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:16 am

And, I may be dating myself a bit, but my love of science fiction was ignited by reading Tom Swift Jr. books back in elementary school.
Up is away from Earth.
Down is towards Earth. :happy-bouncyshadowgreen:
Kapea

Postby Zombie » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:40 am

No disrespect meant or taken. Just posting my (unpopular) opinion.

Distilling is a precarious hobby anyway, and I'm sure everyone is trying to be as safe as possible.
Has anyone tried the same principle or method in a pressure cooker? Or maybe pre heating the wood in the microwave, and adding that to otherwise heated liquor?

I understand the concept here, and do see it works. I'm just a scaredy cat! As with some of the others here... I don't even own a microwave. Thanks for your indulgence, and rock on guys!

Ps For WV Shiner... You can buy matching fire-suits on ebay. They make them for you, and a dog so Fido can run for help (just in case)

Zombie

Postby WVSHINER » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:59 am

Apologies for my off topic humor in an otherwise serious thread. Read this same topic @ HD and it kinda intrigued me.

WVS.
Black labs know stuff.
WVSHINER

Postby FullySilenced » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:54 pm

Found this buried in a nuke thread on another forum thought i would share it.. it is kinda funny...

:P Poster's name has been deleted

OK
Absolutely no apologies for awakening this thread from its slumbers.
I have been there,worn the t shirt,and sing its praises.
A new twist that I have tried,it may work for you,and ring your bells as it did mine.
So I took 1000mls of fairly neutral neutral,@ 65%ABV,large necked jar,40'ish grams of old,cleaned up whisky barrel stave pieces,and nuked it to boiling point.
And let it cool down.
Four times.
WITHOUT A CAP.
Result was 600ml @ 55%.
What a loss of alcohol! and I know it is not as simple as the comparative loss of 27 years aging in an oak barrel,(do the maths at 2%/ year).
The taste?
Probably the best spirit I have ever produced,the sole reason I am tapping this out to share with you as dawn breaks,and I really must go grab a few hours sleep.
Maybe just one more as the birds are sitting on the roof now,singing their socks off,and I need some sleep...

If you ever have distilled a bit.. you kinda know where the poster was coming from... :obscene-drinkingbuddies:

Happy Stillin

FS
FullySilenced

Postby FullySilenced » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:52 pm

ButterScotch Nukins

Was looking to make something for the holidays that could be enjoyed by most adults... or given as a gift... this is the first one i am sharing...

Holiday ButterScotch Vodka

750ml of clean neutral/vodka at 40 to 45 abv

22oz of "Premium" butterscotch hard candy ... i used Brachs

Put the candy in a quart mason type canning jar..

Pour the neutral over it... :roll: (for you instruction sticklers take the candy out of the plastic wrappers please...)

Nuke it in the jar, open no lid... for about 2 minutes then screw the lid on. (Just getting it warm to help melt the candy)

Shake it occasionally till the hard candy has melted.

Let it cool.

Nice clean tasting butterscotch drink for the holiday season... :thumbup:

It's good straight up, on the rocks or even in coffee...

Happy Stilling

FS

and KEEP ON NUKIN !!!
FullySilenced

Postby FullySilenced » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:44 pm

Holiday Spirits or on my mind...

Cinnamon Schnapps

• 44 fluid oz distilled water
• 8 oz sugar (about a cup)
• 4 fluid oz white/light corn syrup (a half cup)
• 1/4 fluid oz cinnamon oil (half a Tablespoon)
• 2 tsps food-grade glycerine
• 8 fluid oz 190 proof neutral or PGA
• 1/4 tsp red food coloring (Optional)

Add corn syrup, sugar, and 16 oz of the distilled water to a saucepan over medium heat. Once the sugar begins to dissolve, CAREFULLY add the cinnamon oil, stirring occasionally to ensure the sugar dissolves completely. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and continue to simmer for 5 additional minutes whisking occasionally to ensure that the oil integrates into the sugar syrup completely. Take the syrup off the heat, stir in the remaining 28 oz of water along with the glycerine, and check to ensure that the temperature is well below 172F before adding the grain alcohol (the lower the better befow 100f). Add food coloring if desired and store in a glass bottle or drink it NOW!!!

Have Fun and Happy Stillin

FS

KEEP ON NUKIN
FullySilenced

Postby Zombie » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:07 pm

Your recopies sound wonderful.

I have a question about the glycerin, and the corn syrup. I would assume the corn syrup alone would add that mouth feel in Schnapps but since you add both I think I am wrong in assuming this.

Question is... is it really that noticeable a difference?

I'm asking because I have become a fan of the Jim Beam Fire brand whiskey. Most people see it as a Schnapps but you /I can clearly tell the difference. I have been wanting to make some myself, and I am a little concerned about adding that mouth feel from corn syrup

Zombie

Postby FullySilenced » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:40 pm

Zombie ... had i made it without those particulars i would have posted it that way ... not sure how it will turn out without those parts but give it a try if you want... and report back...

FS
FullySilenced

Postby Zombie » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:45 pm

I was thinking the corn syrup was a must for this because am using cinnamon extract vs Red Hot candies. I was/am worried about that Schnapps kinda feel.I'm not sure how a whiskey will hold up to syrup.

I'll be running in two weeks, and will give it a shot. Sorry to side track the thread.

Zombie

Postby Jaybird » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:25 pm

Man this idea never ceases to amaze me. I am blown away at the people that come into my store that have tried this and bring me samples of YOUNG whiskey. I have a customer that has a KILLER little jar lid he has made to be able to inject air with a stone to help oxidation of his Nuclear Whiskey. The way he describes it is he adds the stave in the spirit and does his 3 min nuke. after 3-4 days he replaces his lid with his oxygen stone lid and turns on his air pump for a couple of days. Then does the nuke again letting it sit in vacuum for a couple of weeks. So in about 3 weeks he has his Nuclear Whiskey. It really is yummy! Is it as good as aged in a barrel for 6-7 months? NO... Not at all. but it is yummy!

Just thought I would share..

Keep it up guys!

Cheers
Jay
Need a False Bottom for your converted keg, kettle or cooler?
We have been custom building False Bottom solutions for over 8 years for everything you can think of.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com
Jaybird

Postby FullySilenced » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:28 pm

@Zombie its not cinnamon extract its pure cinnamon oil.. huge difference...
FullySilenced

Postby Zombie » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:34 pm

Thanks FS. You made me look at what I bought (Wally World) McCormics, and here is what it says... Propylene Glycol, Alcohol (40%), Water, And Extractives Of Cinnamon.
Then I looked up another brand, Cooks Pure, and it is indeed a pure Cin. oil.

You saved me from wrecking a good run of hootch. Thank You! (I'll be tossing the McCorrmics...) Glad I asked, and grateful for the help.

Zombie

Postby FullySilenced » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:01 am

Wally world may have it but it would be in the pharmacy...

FS
FullySilenced

Postby Zombie » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:10 am

I found the Cooks Pure on Amazon, and ordered it this morning. It should be here by Wednesday.
I should be running this weekend so I'll post how it compares to the Jim Beam fire. I dis like Beam but somehow love that fire style.

I think it will go well w/ the holidays. Maybe as a sub for Rum in eggnog.

Sorry for off tracking the thread.

Zombie

Postby Tassie Tiger » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:37 pm

Just read this thread again & decided to give it a try on some Neutral that I had oak chip ageing for three months @ 58% ABV.
Filtered it all last night through funnel with cotton wool in the stem. Put the used un-toasted oak chips in a jar & nuked it for 2 mins. The bubbles were rising from the chips to the surface,then screwed the lid on. A few hrs later after it had cooled a bit & shaken I compared it to the un-nuked. Definitely a darker colour in the nuked Jar. It's caused a vacuum as I just about gave myself a hernia trying to unscrew the lid. Next I will try with some Virgin Neutral & try toasting some chips. Being neutral I have no idea what it's done to the flavour but it's darkened the spirit for sure. I can't wait to try it out on my Tassie Tiger Piss Whiskey after the spirit run this weekend.
CHEERS TT
Tassie Tiger

Postby FullySilenced » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:20 am

Tassie... try the neutral with blue berries or black berries... or peaches and i think you will be amazed ... I think in some of the threads they are call Fruit Nukin's

FS

I heard someone this morning talking about using lightly charred peaches in their neutral to make a drink... didn't get the complete recipe but it seemed simple enough...
FullySilenced

Postby Tassie Tiger » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:32 am

Thanks FS, I nuked some Tassie Tiger Piss with Oak chips that came out of the still a week ago & I am sold on it.
I have 7 types of Berries & citrus fruits that have been soaking for a few months & I have just started the sugar flavour extraction stage.
During the week I will set up 7 more Jars with the same fruits & try the nuke test to compare them.
Blackberry, Rasberry, Strawberry, Lime, Madarine, Orange & Pear.
Cheers TT
Tassie Tiger

Previous

Return to Ageing & Flavouring