the modern distiller

Nuclear Whiskey / Nuclear Rum

Nuclear Whiskey / Nuclear Rum

Postby FullySilenced » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:30 am

I was watching a tv special on making whiskey when this came to me. They age the kegs in an open warehouse 3 or 4 stories tall. They rotate the kegs from from the top to the bottom on a set basis.
During the heat of the day the metal roof elevates the temperature up to a max of 150 degree's f at the roof level and then it drops back to normal temperature during the night only to repeat again the next day.

I was trying to equate something like that for us at a hobby level and came up with this.

I took a bag of Jack Daniels BBQ smoking chips and when I opened it got a great aroma of JD whiskey from the chipped barrel staves. This was my basis.

I started with sweet feed single run at 75 abv. I used a 8 fluid ounce cup and filled it level to the lip with JD chips which I then put in a 1.3 liter jar. I filled the jar with the 75 abv SF, leaving 1.5 inches of head space. I then put the jar into a 1200 watt microwave oven and heated it for 2 minutes. The temperature of the chips and alcohol was about 150f when it was removed. I screwed the cap on the jar and tightened it securely.

As the liquid cooled down it puts a vacuum on the chips and liquid. I shook the jar a few time and you will start to see a color change almost at you look at the jar. Set the jar on a counter and let it cool slowly back to room temperature.

When the jar is cool you may shake it a few times and then open it slowly, you should hear the vacuum break as the lid is turned. the chips which are no longer under a vacuum will suck up some of the high abv liquid. Repeat the microwave heating again and re-install the lid and let the product cool. You may shake it occasionally if desired... The color will already be a golden brown.... but on the second or third heating you will see a classical reddish hue start to develop in the liquid.

Dilute some of the product to 40 abv and you will be amazed as just how close the finished rapidly aged product tastes to Jack Daniels. If want it to be even closer add a drop of your best vanilla extract, and maybe 1/8 tsp. of glycerine. The vanilla is for the smallest of flavors found in long term oak aged products and the glycerine smooths the beverage out and gives it a wonderful mouth feel...

Regardless of whether you add the vanilla or glycerine the product has a great flavor and has the Jack Daniels finish.

The same process can you used to add burbon/whiskey oak ageing to your favorite rum.

4 of us are still experimenting with this technique, give it a try and let me know what your thoughts are and how this one could be improved.

Some people have the patience to store their product in a keg for up to 4 years and some of us just wanna have fun. Hope you enjoy this as much as I have been doing while it was in development.

Nuclear name prefix courtesy of Smaug.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FullySilenced

Re: Nuclear Whiskey / Nuclear Rum

Postby Bushman » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:12 am

This is why I have been toying with the idea of using ultra sonic cleaner as everything I've read lends me to believe that it speeds up the processes before putting on oak. Odin I believe even adds JD chips in with the booze and let's the molecular properties start working.
I started my liquid diet and so far it seems to be working! I've already lost two days.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
Bushman

Postby timmyjane » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:29 am

You thinking about putting the product in a jar and then in an ultrasonic bath or pouring product directly into the ultrasonic?
timmyjane

Postby FullySilenced » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:36 am

Bushman, this procedure is basically a small amount of heat and vacuum... repeat till your happy with the product... only thing i can say is it is too easy labor wise and its fast... 8-) seeing is believing ... give it a try...
FullySilenced

Postby LunaBrille » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:34 pm

bentstick wrote:
law-of-ohms wrote:I have a heap of 2L flagons in my roof space, but gota give this ago, it screams 1, LOO and 2, blown up oven....

Or is it, LOO blow up the oven! :teasing-tease:

LOO = Loss Of Oven? :grin:
LunaBrille

Postby Hawk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:47 am

law-of-ohms wrote:Great,

Now I need a new one, Wife not happy....

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Do you have a link for YouTube? It won't let me watch it from my phone as embedding was refused.
"You only have power over people so long as you don't take everything from them. Once you've robbed them of everything, they're no longer in your power. They're free again."

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby Hawk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:52 am

Instead of the microwave, what about using a pot of boiling water with a lidded mason jar added? We are looking for heat right? I detest the microwave and the only food ill eat that is cooked in one is popcorn.
"You only have power over people so long as you don't take everything from them. Once you've robbed them of everything, they're no longer in your power. They're free again."

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby FullySilenced » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:01 am

heating in water would be external heat, give the hot water bath a try... is all i can say...

internal heating is what would be introduced into the chips by the microwave, ... i don't think anything else would be the same as what a microwave would produce inside the chips or domino/stick,

I have heated over 100 tests of this in the microwave with no issue... just be careful handling it when you take it out of the microwave to screw the lid on the jar... then let it cool naturally ....
FullySilenced

Postby BadAssBass » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:21 am

I might give this a try with the boiling water. I'm one of the few people without a microwave.
BadAssBass

Postby Hawk » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:33 pm

Ok. I was a skeptic but now I'm a believer. I used normal oak chips toasted heavy. I did 400 ml at 120 proof and had 3 microwave sessions. After cooling I ran it through a 3 ply coffee filter and Wala! Taken down to 80 proof and the flavor is better than anything else I have Oaked. I also picked up some cherry chips and toasted up a quarts worth. Anyhow, here are my results about to be enjoyed on a whiskey ball.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby Hawk » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:23 pm

Tested out at 80 proof. So stupid smooth I didn't believe that it was at that proof. Wow

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby BareKnuckles » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:34 pm

Figures yall would figure something cool out while I'm out of town... :angry-cussing:

Yall have all the fun :angry-banghead:

LOL

-BK
BareKnuckles

Postby Hawk » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:55 pm

bentstick wrote:Surprised the hell out me also Hawk,did you notice the sweeter taste? :obscene-drinkingcheers:

I think it was a combo of the sweet and the complete lack of bite. Dude I had to test it to prove to myself. I have a buddy that loves my product but doesn't nessesarily like most of my Oaked stuff. He has agreed to try tomorrow. This may just be a winner winner chicken dinner. And I mean I might just get a dinner on the grill for a fifth.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby Hawk » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:11 pm

And now, the Nuclear UJ

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby BareKnuckles » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:16 pm

Hawk, that looks tasty! Wicked cool ice ball too :handgestures-thumbupright:

-BK
BareKnuckles

Postby djfrestyla » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:36 pm

Hi,
I am currently experimenting on sitting 2L weetbix /allbran on oak, in a demijohn, & putting in a sink full of hot water to slowly bring the temp up to 60c.
This should ensure that the oak gets up to temp fully.
So far, i have got temp up, coloring has started to change, this should come up really good after several cycles.
djfrestyla

Postby Jaybird » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:06 pm

Hawk
Do you make the ice balls? If so..How? If not, where do you buy it.

Jay
Need a False Bottom for your converted keg, kettle or cooler?
We have been custom building False Bottom solutions for over 8 years for everything you can think of.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com
Jaybird

Postby LunaBrille » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:13 pm

Jaybird wrote:Hawk

Jay

Here ya go:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007O35D5 ... -5&pi=SL75
LunaBrille

Postby fifan74 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:18 pm

Absloute genius idea.... i look forward to trying this when i finally get to run my still.
fifan74

Postby Jaybird » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:05 pm

LunaBrille wrote:

Jay

Here ya go:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007O35D5 ... -5&pi=SL75

Holy mother of GAWD!!! $13 bucks for a single pack! + SHIPPING!!!

yeah I just ordered 1.....LOL

Thanks
Jay
We have been custom building False Bottom solutions for over 8 years for everything you can think of.

Jaybird

Postby Jaybird » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:18 pm

I bought them from here though

http://www.holdnstorage.com/set_of_2_ju ... ftc102.htm

Cheers
Jay

Jaybird

Postby Hawk » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:50 pm

:text-goodpost:
law-of-ohms wrote:
IMG_1301.jpg
Nuclear UJSM....

Love the glass!

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby Hawk » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:51 pm

Jay

Whiskeyball.com

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby tickle » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:35 pm

I will admit, I was skeptical...was never a fan of "rapid aging" in the freezer :puke-front: . But now that loo, hawk and others have reported success I feel like I have to try. @Fullysilenced, thanks for sharing :bow-blue: ; not sure I wudda had the balls to microwave it. Still not sure I do...maybe after a few swigs. Hawk, that color! is it as red as it looks in the pic? awesome. never pulled that off, myself.
life is good
tickle

Postby Hawk » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:00 am

tickle wrote:I will admit, I was skeptical...was never a fan of "rapid aging" in the freezer :puke-front: . But now that loo, hawk and others have reported success I feel like I have to try. @Fullysilenced, thanks for sharing :bow-blue: ; not sure I wudda had the balls to microwave it. Still not sure I do...maybe after a few swigs. Hawk, that color! is it as red as it looks in the pic? awesome. never pulled that off, myself.

Oh yes it is that red. Now I'm using new oak, not the JD chips. In not a fan of JD. Toasted some cherry yesterday and will be starting a small batch with them today. The color in the pic is un edited.
Last edited by Hawk on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby tickle » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:31 am

awesome. And you all say its as good as as the time aged stuff? Been so dissapointed with the freezer method. Cant wait to try this.
life is good
tickle

Postby BadAssBass » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:03 am

I did the water bath method yesterday. Brought the likker to 150 then sealed it. I can't say there is much difference in color yet. I'll try it again today and tomorrow and see if its worth the effort.
BadAssBass

Postby Hawk » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:34 pm

So my whiskey snob of a buddy came over today and partook upon a couple shots of the new fund on a whiskey ball. Now I have to make him a bottle as he says it is the smoothest most enjoyable whiskey he has had.

That feels good. And so will the steak dinner.

I also started 2 new bottles on oak and one on toasted cherry.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby timmyjane » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:54 pm

I know its out there but are ya'll just toasting chips by wrapping them in foil and putting in the oven at about 450f/232C for an hour or 2?
timmyjane

Postby Hawk » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:00 pm

Yes. I wrapped in foil and put in at 475 with my convection oven for 1.5 hours. That gave a med toast which has gone through the microwave twice now and is super red! Cherry smells awesome!

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby BareKnuckles » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:07 pm

Hawk. I have some oat and barley setting on western wild cherry for the past 7 weeks... Smells nice..... Can't wait till it's done, or at least till I think it's done..Haha..

-BK
BareKnuckles

Postby tickle » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:12 pm

:clap:
life is good
tickle

Postby tickle » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:25 pm

timmyjane wrote:I know its out there but are ya'll just toasting chips by wrapping them in foil and putting in the oven at about 450f/232C for an hour or 2?

I got a deal on a broken bundle of unfinished oak flooring, cut them about 4" long and rip down to 3/8" or so. But yes, foil, 450-475 for an hour or 2.

I tried the nuke last night on some dwwg that was aging about a week. It was like a time machine. color came in nice, and flavors are great. None of the "chewing on a stick" that seems to come out when I tried the freezer method of aging. I know everybody's microwave is different but here's what i did: mason jar 3/4 full-90 seconds and stir it up; another 90 seconds with a close watch- as soon as i saw bubbles start on the surface (approx 65 seconds in my case) remove and lid it up. its great, and for the guys who can wait and be tradditional, this might be worth while as a jump starter. Now, if one of you patient bastards would try this, and park it next to a regular aged bottle for a year and try them side by side....or send them to me to be tried side by side :obscene-drinkingcheers:
life is good
tickle

Postby timmyjane » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:31 pm

Where im at most oak flooring is red oak which is supposedly not so good for aging. Im assuming your oak is white?
timmyjane

Postby tickle » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:37 pm

it is. I have had good luck with it; lots have been written about minimizing end grain and using long grain as much as possible. the flooring seemed a good way to do this. pm me your details, I have a boat load of it, happy to send you some.
life is good
tickle

Postby Hawk » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:54 am

Been home sick for a few days. Sucks. I did take 5 minutes every 6-7 hours to do a triple session with this UJ on medium toast Cherry wood. The spoonful taste was great but it will have to wait till I feel a little more myself.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby Stainless dude » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:09 am

Nice color hawk, I tried this heating up in pan of water on the stove. I think I failed. Microwave is too small for a quart jar :crying-yellow:
Stainless dude

Postby Hawk » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:13 am

Stainless dude wrote:Nice color hawk, I tried this heating up in pan of water on the stove. I think I failed. Microwave is too small for a quart jar :crying-yellow:

I barely fit a quart jar too. The other 4 I have done are all in pint jars.

I love the color.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby buflowing » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:24 am

This is interesting. I'm experimenting with a UJ hearts cut on lightly charred JD chips and a UJ jar that almost made the cut but I wasn't sure (on the heads side) on heavy charred maple. I pull a vacuum on the jar for a couple minutes after I heat it in the microwave. The wood really release a lot of air when hot. I then let it cool with a loose lid.
buflowing

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:07 am

I found all this interesting, so I took a pint jar of 56%ABV distilled pear mead, not something I couldn't feel comfortable experimenting with, tossed a couple of toasted whiskey barrel splints into it, nuked it to ~150F, and installed and tightened the ring and lid. A bit later I got that satisfying "boink" of a good vacuum seal. The next day I repeated the process. That was a week ago.

Last night we had kind of a an extended-family get together, including an old friend down from Alaska, and I brought my aged honigschnapps, diluted to 40%ABV, and all the adult males had drink or two (or even three) on one ice cube, my favored way of drinking most good spirits.

The reaction was universal, and very positive. While I thought the underlying intrinsic spirit flavor was a bit light, the aging flavor and smoothness was wonderful. This stuff had aged as well in a week as I normally get in a year. I'm sold, but I'm still squeamish (for reasons of fire) about nuking strong spirits.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob-books/making-fine-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But..
Zymurgy Bob

Postby Bushman » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:24 am

I've been doing a lot of reading on this method of smoothing alcohol and am convinced that I am going to buy 1/2 to 1 gallon SS ultrasonic cleaner for this very reason.
I started my liquid diet and so far it seems to be working! I've already lost two days.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
Bushman

Postby FullySilenced » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:36 am

Thank you ZB for posting your results, I was very reluctant to post about this method at all because of the possibility of negative feedback and it being something so different than the methods in use... however after playing with it for such a long time I felt comfortable in sharing the concept and having a few people give it a try to test and see if they would get results similar to what occurred for me.

So far its all been good, I only suggest that the nay sayers give it a try and post what they actually think... good, bad or indifferent. Someday maybe the Punkin's and Harry's and The Doctors of the world will give her a go.... as i value their opinions and imput

Where do we go from here.... I am nuking neutral with a few things to see if it imparts specific flavors to the spirits, am trying peppercorns, a few herbs and and other misc common items, its really an unlimited list... until then keep on nukin... as I personally think Nuclear Whiskey/Rum and Spirits will be here for the long haul. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
FullySilenced

Postby Odin » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:28 am

Interesting tread! I learned "faster ageing" from an old timer/moonshiner. Warm the drink in 50 degrees C water (bottle in a pan - au bain marie). Take of the cap for a few seconds, smell, uglies coming out. Now take the bottle out and let it cool, with the cap loosely on it. After this give it a few days rest.

I did it and it works.

Another guy told me about airing, with a bubble stone. Did that too and it works.

Best results I get from using an ultrasonic cleaner in combination with a bubbler. First bubble, then ultrasonic cleaning. Four, five runs gets you there.

Microwave I did not try yet.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Odin

Postby BareKnuckles » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:34 am

Guys, I sipped on my nuclear whiskey all weekend at the campground. Let the neighbor try some and he was amazed! Kept talking about the vanilla overtones and whatnot..." Oh this is soooo smooth " he would say... He may have been a little tipsy ;-) as it was diluted to 101 proof....... He asked where I bought it..lol... I told him that a friend of mine made it at home and he just would not believe me :laughing-rolling: ....

I'm super impressed. Not ready to toss my oak barrels yet though!

-BK
BareKnuckles

Postby Odin » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:31 am

Okay, so this is good! I will try it asap and give you my findings. First some bubbling, then some ultrasonic ageing, and to finish: microwave/vacuum treatment.

Thanks for all the info!

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Odin

Postby Hawk » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:35 am

Odin wrote:Okay, so this is good! I will try it asap and give you my findings. First some bubbling, then some ultrasonic ageing, and to finish: microwave/vacuum treatment.

Thanks for all the info!

Odin.

Odin, just for kicks try a pint all by itself in the microwave first. I'd be interested in reading your results as compared to your ultrasonic. And currently I think you are the only one that can do them seperatly.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby Odin » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:26 am

That makes sense. Only, I am out of most of my tasty drinks 'under construction' right now. Or maybe ... I can try it with some of the old style genever, I have ageing right now. Took the wood out. It is like 13 liters at 60%. I could do a test like this: take out like 750 mls twice. Number one will get my "normal" treatment with bubbles & ultrasound. Number two will get the microwave and some vacuum thrown at it.

1: 3 times a bubbler/ultrasound treatment of 10 minutes at 40 khz and 50 watts, then dilute to 45%, then another treatment, then 3 days rest, then a tasting.
2. 3 times 2 minutes in the micro for 2 minutes, after each time I put the lid on and let it cool, then dilute to 45%, one more treatment, 3 days rest, tasting.

Does that sound like a good approach?

Odin.
Odin

Postby FullySilenced » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:34 am

Odin,

Sounds like its as equal as it gets in a direct comparison... of nuking to ultrasound.

The vacuum comes with the product cooling with the lid on.. i am sure you know that... but i did read someone wanted to pull a vacuum on it with a pump or something like that so thats beyond anything needed

2nd and 3rd heat and cooling should really add the color to the product

good luck sir
FullySilenced

Postby Hawk » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:36 am

I think it's worth having a drink the day the third session is done. It's just that smooth.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

i tantum flama unum
Hawk

Postby Odin » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:51 am

My test will only take half the problem into consideration, since it is already "wooded". In other words, no need (not at all, so much wood there already!) to put them chips in. That I may try in a later test. But as far as aging (and not "wooding") is concerned, I will give it my best.

FS, thanks for the explanation, but I got that! Makes it easier with a lid and cooling, right?

Odin.

:smile:
Odin

Next

Return to Ageing & Flavouring