the modern distiller

My first "drinkable" stuff...

My first "drinkable" stuff...

Postby Neophyte » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:49 am

I'm experiencing my first success after a few poor cuts. This is from my second ever run, an all-grain single malt attempt that I cut poorly. I aged on oak before I realized my mistake. After some time I noticed it wasn't going to be very good. I realized the cut was off and asked for advice here. I distilled a second time and cut more carefully. Immediately tasted and smelled a big improvement in the white liquor. Cut to 125 proof and aged with a bourbon soaked oak spiral for about 3 weeks. Pulled the spiral and cut it down to 88 proof. I'm using a small piece of charred oak and another cube of toasted to finish it out. Tasted it last night and it's pretty damn good. Even passed the wife's stringent taste test! I only have a 20L still so I make small runs. Much more to learn before stepping up to larger gear.

Neophyte

Re: My first "drinkable" stuff...

Postby Copperhead road » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:25 am

Well done buddy you got to be happy with that! Considering it's only 3 weeks old just imagine how much it will smooth out after 3 months on oak. :bow-blue:
"Stillbilly wars is the sound of a propane jet in the dead of night"
Copperhead road

Postby Otago Elvis » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:27 am

Nice work mate :handgestures-thumbupright:

Make sure you store some away for long term ageing (12 months minimum). If you think it's good now, it'll blow your socks off in a year :grin:
Otago Elvis

Postby hudsonbay distillers » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:05 am

great colour to it congrats for sure . if i was u id save half for long term aging and drink the other half jus to keep u motivated , be surprised how fast there will be a big stash of well aged product that u forgot about .
tim
hudsonbay distillers

Return to Ageing & Flavouring