the modern distiller

Wiki - an idea for the site

How can you benefit from this forum...give us ideas to become the best forum we can be.

Wiki - an idea for the site

Postby crozdog » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:41 pm

Hi all,

After the great effort by Bushman to put up the glossary, I had the thought that if the site had a wiki section, articles could be posted by members then corrected / added to by the wider community. In the case of the glossary i could have added definitions myself rather than having to rely on the generosity of Bushman to add the updates.

Aussiehomebrewer.com uses one and members there find it a great resource. FYI, they often have a forum topic separate to the wiki entry so that the article can be discussed e.g. people use the forum topic to ask for clarification on a point in the article which may or may not result in the article being updated. Also when questions are asked on the forum (eg "how do I setup a balanced keg fridge?"), the poster is politely referred to a relevant wiki article (assuming 1 exists) for the answer rather than members having to repeatedly answer the same question.

I realise it is a bit of work to get it going initially, but once going think it could be a great way to capture useful info in 1 place rather than having to search through forums to find stuff.

Just a thought on how this awesome site may be able to continue to grow, improve and leverage the depth of knowledge that members have.

What do you think?

Cheers
Crozdog
crozdog

Re: Wiki - an idea for the site

Postby lokibrew » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:01 pm

I've been thinking the same thing.

The HD wiki had to have some restrictions due to spamming and poor content, but personally, I'd rather read 10 wiki write-ups about how to build a power controller than read through a 78 page rambling post..

It's a great resource for How-To and resource information.

I'm not ready to set one up just yet, but I 2nd the motion!!
What? I have no signature? I'll fix that right away! :techie-computer:
lokibrew

Postby crozdog » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:49 pm

punkin wrote:He may hand over a half finnished one and save you a stack of work.

Good on ya for volunteering 8-)

HAHA nice try punkin but I don't write code. Tried and failed a few times over the years..... only thing that did work was assembler language but then i was dealing direct with the hardware. The only programming I do now is excel formulas & project schedules
crozdog

Postby jake_leg » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:07 am

I put a few things in the Distillapedia Glossary. It has got spammed to f*ck but feel free to copy the material across.

http://distillapedia.org/index.php?title=Glossary
jake_leg

Return to What do you want from this forum