the modern distiller

checked out another forum

How can you benefit from this forum...give us ideas to become the best forum we can be.

checked out another forum

Postby liquidtherapy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:25 am

I was just lookibg around and ran accrost another distilling forum. What i saw there both sadden and angered me. Somone was asking for advice on a wash he had put together. All the putdowns name calling and pure "im better then you" mentality i saw there. I am glad for this forum and great people who are appart of it.
liquidtherapy

Re: checked out another forum

Postby Zombie » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:59 am

I've been kicked off all of those "helpful" forums (well 2 of them but the political line follows you sometimes) for posting my opinion about that behaveiour. It is indeed saddening to see that attitude when people are simply asking for help.
"Don't you know how to read?" is not an answer to "what is the maximum temp for running a Boka"

I post in several forums under the same name in very different subject matter and YES it does get old repeating the same answers to the same questions but what I do is store some generic info to the most often asked "newbie" questions, and copy paste the answers, as well as included links to relevant threads. It takes 10 seconds to help someone, and they ALWAYS reply with gratitude for the help.
I have also pointed some fellow forum members from my other sites to see for themselves. The reaction is unanimous, and consistent. Some people should move on to chat rooms, and away from forums.
Forums are here to allow the sharing of information, and most often great friendships. Chat rooms are better suited for talking about "what a tool that guy is".

I am both sorry to see this post, and relieved that you posted it. It's almost stressful posting questions on some sites, and honestly some of the repeat what you here answers that are accepted as "Gospel" have little basis in reality.
I have not found or seen any of that "attitude" here, and have always expressed my gratitude to the forum, and it's members for taking the time to help an ignorant yet ambitious fella that just wants to learn what this is all about.

Maybe some forums are just to full of information, and nice people to need any more. Only thing that makes sense.

I may need to be "put down" soon.
Zombie

Postby liquidtherapy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:11 am

Well im glad i stumbled accrost here first. You always have helped me and I always enjoy your informative posts. I like the new people like me and the vets that have me drooling over their builds. Yup, ill be planting my self here!
liquidtherapy

Postby Mr. Rat » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:30 am

On the other hand a quick search will yield answers to most questions. It can get pretty annoying when the same question is asked every other day. If you give a man a fish he will be at your door every day asking for another fish. If you teach a man to fish yall can sit around drinking and bsing while catching dinner.
Mr. Rat

Postby liquidtherapy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:44 am

I totaly agree, but is cause for posting about tea baging ones's mother. It got real bad.
liquidtherapy

Postby Mr. Rat » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:13 am

Wow. Ok ummm what was the thread name.
Mr. Rat

Postby Mr. Rat » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:20 am

Never mind found it. By the op said the tea bagging thing.
Mr. Rat

Postby Zombie » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:25 am

Still... You can always keep a list of relevant threads to point someone too. No need to belittle a newcomer that may not even know what he is looking for.
Or just as good in my opinion is to say nothing, and save the precious finger tips for diddling other things.

What got me in trouble was commenting on a 8-9 sentence rant at a newbie about not knowing enough to go look up his own answer, and not to bother posting until he had "done his homework". I commented" it would have been much faster, and without a doubt nicer to link a thread or topic that applied the the guys question." Not one word more and not one word less.
Guess who got called a trol??? The Jacka__ response guy or me.

I later got an Email that I promptly deleted w/out reading from that forum. Haven't read another word on the site since.

Zombie

Postby liquidtherapy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:28 pm

I just see it as we all learn from each other. Ive been a cnc operator/programer for 30+ years and have learned a thing or 2 from a new trainee. Fresh eyes can be inlightening. Plus we are all here of our free will, make it friendly.
liquidtherapy

Postby Zombie » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:36 pm

Your last sentence is the one that sums it all up! Thank you!

Here's a couple more. :clap: :clap:

Zombie

Postby Drunken Unicorn » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:17 am

I've run into the same issue in another forum. I'd asked what I thought was a valid question and I get crickets. I agree that you should search as much as possible before asking a questions, but sometimes the information is pretty hard to find.

Anyhow, I like the friendly demeanor of this forum.

-Unicorn
"Unicorns drink beer and piss whiskey." -Drunken Unicorn
Drunken Unicorn

Postby Zombie » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 am

I really hope this does not offend anyone but I know the root cause of all the animosity. Hootch!

People that drink too much have bad attitudes. That is the reason they drink too much. They don't like it either.

Everyone here knew a family down the street or across town w/ the drunk parents that no one would dare go over to see the kid that lived there. Some of us grew up in that house. I recognized the attitude the second I found distillation forums. the BIGGER problem is the arse kissing that happens between the moderators, and the site owners. It creates an environment that rewards arrogance, and distracts from the actual purpose of the forum. UNLESS the purpose of said forum is self righteousness. Then I have to say Job well done!

I truly hope you ALL know I both respect, and admire everyone involved with this particular site. You fellas have opened doors in my life that I never even knew were there. Many of you post on loads of other sites, and I am certain you understand my post.
Honestly if someone talked to my Grandpa like some of these "Bitches" talk to total strangers... but I see this forum as the cream of the crop. No offense meant to any innocent parties. The guilty KNOW who they are.

Zombie

Postby jeb5 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:31 pm

Too true, this forum is the best with open, honest and objective help done in such a way to make you feel part of a family.
Just as a point of interest, I was banned from a site run by a certain "Highlander" sounding name for suggesting that tig welded product is superior to soldered product. I bought a tig welded still from Spud and it is just great.
Keep up the good work everyone.
jeb5

Postby John Barleycorn » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:36 am

Drunken Unicorn wrote:I'd asked what I thought was a valid question and I get crickets.

I answered what I thought was a valid question and got mocked.

It was a technical question, so it deserved a technical (and correct) answer ... or so I thought. If you get technical with an inadequate post-count it seems like the folks that have trouble with math become offended ... or something like that. I rarely bother posting on such forums any longer ... even if I believe I can help. If it's a newbie or the question doesn't eventually get answered, I'll just send a PM and avoid the stupidity.

The bottom line is that some folks who are simply struggling with a topic, or new to the hobby, just don't know what they don't know ... so they often can't even assemble a decent set of search terms to find the answer they're looking for. A little patience, kindness, and direction goes a long way ... and is certainly more civil. Enforcing some perceived pious discipline seems rude to me ... or at best, a waste of time and disk space.
John Barleycorn

Postby RandyMarshCT » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:10 am

Boy, this sounds familiar. Frequently, in other places, people are ridiculed and told to "do their homework" when they have already searched as much as possible... with a search function that's barely functional. Or returns "sorry, search function is not available at this time" VERY frequently.

Usually I get responses like this one, where multiple people who "know everything" chime in but never answer my question. In 15 posts, 1 honest opinion on my question: maple syrup rum

Plenty of comments on my choice of recipe, nearly zero help. Now when people search for info on fermenting maple syrup, they get lots of opinions on what to call it... that's about it. Not too encouraging for newbies.
Member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

Hobby Distiller Association USA
RandyMarshCT

Postby lookingforflavor » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:14 am

Hey folks,

I left another forum because I wasn't up to the standards. I got boo and hissed on for what some felt were pretty stupid questions. I was starting from scratch and had no idea what I was doing. You all have been very good to me. Patient, lots of good info, lots of good info, I repeated that twice on purpose.

I always try to be civil and polite. I feel you are taking the time to guide me and I really do need and appreciate it. I'm hoping to have enough expertise someday to answer a few questions myself. Frankly I am a late comer to this art and many of you have years of experience.

But you all have been good to me. I trust you will do the same for other newbies.

Greetings to all of you and thank you.

LFF
lookingforflavor

Postby Zombie » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:02 am

I just realized I have almost 800 posts here. From now on I am calling everyone Jack Hole.

This is one crazy hobby for sure. We have everything from Savants to idiots. I just want to design/build a still...

As far as Searching... I gave up long ago, and prefer to spend hours reading whatever, and follow the bread crumbs. As a newbie myself I had NO clue what to even search for. I also firmly believe in linking where the info came from that I do share. That way if there are any Nay Sayers they can argue w/ the author of the article, and not me. ( that does not ever happen here tho). Actually people here will either point out the correct facts or explain where I may have miss interpreted the facts I read.

Thank you guys.

Ps for newbie jack holes... Go read everything ever written (find it yourself) and post back when you know everything you wanted to know. LOL Just kidding... Don't bother posting back.

Zombie

Postby rickyd » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:48 pm

I never mind answering question no matter how many times I have repeated it because it is to a different and new person.
As for hooch = arseholes on some forums well some are like me who don't actually drink and as I have proved time and time again I am still an arsehole 8-) 8-)
I joined aussie distillers before this one and was banned first day as I disagreed with turbo = petrol then was allowed back on and posted a friendly worded experiment of TPW V Turbo wash as I was running both side by side you guesses it banned again. I have brought many items since then so the admin cut his own throat.
The Stillin Villain
rickyd

Postby Pete V » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:45 am

I am new with no experience in making distilled liquors. I d o know I would like to learn. I recognize the importance of a search function on any board. The one I run on glass has one. Sometimes it's worth sending someone to that search and sometimes, people do not know what they do not know. At that point, you can either be mean or gentle. Far easier to catch flies with honey than with BS.

Some of the people on my board are the ones I least expected to embrace the heart of making glass. You just never know but you can sure kill off a budding interest in the very people you claim to serve.

I'll read what I can find. From site to site, there's contradictory stuff. The video that drew me here made the assertion that your individual mark on distillation is the most important. I liked that. I thank that person for saying that. It's absolutely astonishing to me how politics gets into every aspect of being alive. Power is really strange.

So, I like what I see here. I'll try to avoid the stupid and unnecessary. I think it's important to recognize that some of us don't know when we've crossed that line. I'll apologize in advance, kind of. If I ask a question, I'm reasonably assured that someone else has the same lack of information but they do want to pursue the art.

Thanks.
Pete V

Postby Zombie » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:40 am

You have a brother in me already sir. Perhaps it's the New England style or perhaps it is because you know how to say what you mean. (I don't have that skill)

You made a concise post covering all the basics of the thread, and included the preemptive apology disclaimer, "kind of".

What ever it is... I like it. Kudos!

Zombie

Postby liquidtherapy » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:03 pm

Well said pete v. This forum isn't like the one I mentioned. It's full of friendly,helpful people. I hope you will hang around. There are a lot of talent and willingness to help here. I've learned a lot just from the short time I've been here.
liquidtherapy

Postby Jaybird » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:42 pm

I'm with you guys! I love this site!

Cheers
Jay
Need a False Bottom for your converted keg, kettle or cooler?
We have been custom building False Bottom solutions for over 8 years for everything you can think of.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com
Jaybird

Postby Zombie » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:47 am

What I believe sets this forum apart from the others is the passion for distilling here. That is the primary focus, and that starts from the top.
All the best forums I belong to are run by people passionate about what they are doing, and NOT about showing off how well they do it, or data mining for "new ideas".

You all know exactly what I mean.

Learning more, and sharing thoughts are the reasons we are all here. The rest is all BS of the first degree.

I recently had to help a friend get into a sport bike forum. They have a referral system for new members, and I have posted there for a few years. Anyway... They have a few sub forums for generic "free speech". One of the threads was titled "Political Agendas". My bud posted his views, and was flamed by no less than 15 members. He responded with links to relevant facts, and bit his tongue. 30 more flamers.... Most telling him to take his show on the road.

I in turn defended his posts, and his picking the appropriate thread to post them in... Well, after the dust settled, I took my show on the road. After 11,000 posts, and one of the highest "solved" rates on the forum I have not stopped receiving emails for help from the members.
Point is... Forums (IMHO) are NOT about who is better/smarter/richer. They are for sharing thoughts/ideas/wisdom, and laughs.
This forum changed many things in my life, and it's members have always been helpful, and gracious. Those qualities I found here have become part of my life, in as much as I am now thinking twice/three times before acting a fool.

Thank you all.

Zombie

Postby Rockchucker » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:58 am

I would like to apologize on behalf of HD, it is a problem and one we are adamant about stopping the dogpile mentality. There is no excuse and needs to end. We all have been newbies at one time and need the guidance of those who have been there and made the mistakes. Please realize there is a concerted effort to change and become a friendlier place to be. PM me with any questions or concerns and I would be happy to help.
Rockchucker

Postby liquidtherapy » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:34 am

Thank you Rockchucker, I still frequent HD. I Do post from time to time, but mostly read. As here, there is a wealth of information, I just downloaded a 2" boka template as im in the middle of building one. I have noticed a big change. I don't see people being attacked, more of being led in the right direction.
liquidtherapy

Postby Jaybird » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:39 pm

Zombie wrote:What I believe sets this forum apart from the others is the passion for distilling here. That is the primary focus, and that starts from the top.
All the best forums I belong to are run by people passionate about what they are doing, and NOT about showing off how well they do it, or data mining for "new ideas".

You all know exactly what I mean.

Learning more, and sharing thoughts are the reasons we are all here. The rest is all BS of the first degree.

I recently had to help a friend get into a sport bike forum. They have a referral system for new members, and I have posted there for a few years. Anyway... They have a few sub forums for generic "free speech". One of the threads was titled "Political Agendas". My bud posted his views, and was flamed by no less than 15 members. He responded with links to relevant facts, and bit his tongue. 30 more flamers.... Most telling him to take his show on the road.

I in turn defended his posts, and his picking the appropriate thread to post them in... Well, after the dust settled, I took my show on the road. After 11,000 posts, and one of the highest "solved" rates on the forum I have not stopped receiving emails for help from the members.
Point is... Forums (IMHO) are NOT about who is better/smarter/richer. They are for sharing thoughts/ideas/wisdom, and laughs.
This forum changed many things in my life, and it's members have always been helpful, and gracious. Those qualities I found here have become part of my life, in as much as I am now thinking twice/three times before acting a fool.

Thank you all.

Good gawd I would like to have a drink with you sir! Well said!

Cheers
Jay
Need a False Bottom for your converted keg, kettle or cooler?
We have been custom building False Bottom solutions for over 8 years for everything you can think of.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com
Jaybird

Postby Zombie » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:44 am

Rockchucker wrote:I would like to apologize on behalf of HD, it is a problem and one we are adamant about stopping the dogpile mentality. There is no excuse and needs to end. We all have been newbies at one time and need the guidance of those who have been there and made the mistakes. Please realize there is a concerted effort to change and become a friendlier place to be. PM me with any questions or concerns and I would be happy to help.

It is wonderful to hear this RockChucker. HD has perhaps the largest membership of all the distilling forums, and could once again be the leading asset to American distillers. I tried twice to "get along" there, and twice... Failed. Same for another site that did not allow links to better deals.
I found Modern Distiller, and they helped me develop my column idea, and gain a pretty firm grasp on modern distilling. (I'm an old school Pot guy).

Anyway no sour grapes... I merely wanted to qualify my statements... I completely stopped going to the other sites because of the issues. I am very happy to hear these issues are being addressed because a few people w/ bad attitudes should in NO way, shape or form represent the entire community. Unfortunately they did. Just by brute force, and fast replies.

I found at least 90% of the long time distillers to be extremely intelligent, and very insightful. Free thinkers as it were.
The other 10%?... I'm glad to hear they will be leashed.
I raise Killer dogs (Presa Canario's) so I know you have to keep them leashed, and under control or you will have no friends/guests.
It's good to hear that people really do care about what they do, and how it is done.
Nothing but good fortune to you sir. Thank You! :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Zombie

Postby Zombie » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:47 am

JayBird... Thank You as well. I'm always down for a cool drink, and warm conversation. Salute to you sir!

Zombie

Postby Rockchucker » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:46 am

Thank you Zombie, this is a good place with a great attitude. As I stated earlier any issues anyone has with HD should feel free to bring up these issues with the admin and have it addressed. If I can help in any way/shape/form please contact me. (Not to detract from the friendly nature of this site!) :handgestures-thumbupright:
Rockchucker

Postby halfbaked » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:08 pm

I was not pointed here by the Rock or anyone else but feel 100% that he is on track with the thoughts of mgmt and staff of HD. I stop by on a daily basis and sometimes I post most times I see what is happening sometimes I raz Doc. HD is a Kinder more gentler place than it used to be. I am open for help also or questions.
halfbaked

Postby JayD » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:34 pm

I am happy to let this thread run it's course however if it takes a turn for the worse I will bin the thread, remember folks we all know what other forums are not user friendly...even the ones that first welcome then hammer the newbie for having his/her own opinion. On Modern your opinion is welcome as long as it is not hurt full or antagonistic. :handgestures-thumbupright: I have witnessed innocent folks marked as trolls and statements of dishonesty placed on members names and they can not defend themselves at all, as seen below... I think actions like these mentioned are despicable and slanderous in nature. :teasing-tease: and the same person that throws around the word copycat like it's going out of style would have copied more peoples work than other person on the www.

notrusted.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JayD

Postby Zombie » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:39 pm

How about a $5.83 gift card for Burger King? Sort of a sign up bonus... :banana-blonde: :banana-dance: :banana-dreads: :banana-angel:

Really tho... I'm sure the entire distilling community will benefit from you efforts. There are so few sources of trustworthy information. That makes these forums a must have for all of us. Thanks!

Zombie

Postby jarhead » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:12 pm

Zombie wrote:I raise Killer dogs (Presa Canario's) so I know you have to keep them leashed, and under control or you will have no friends/guests

I honestly had no idea what kind of dog this was and had to Google it. What baffled me is why you referred to them as "Killer Dogs"?

I have an American Pitbull Terrier which have a horrible reputation. He is the best dog I could ask for, just like any other breed if it is trained properly. My point is, unless you are proud of this "Killer Dog" reputation then I would suggest that you don't refer to them as such. It does nothing but perpetuate a stereotype. Not trying to be an asshole, just some friendly advice.
Lead, follow, or get the ***k out of the way!
jarhead

Postby Zombie » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:24 am

I understand the point Jarhead. Actually these are killers by nature, and their lineage goes back before the 1400's.
It's only since 1982 that they have been allowed in the United States. There is already a movement here to re-instate that ban.

Bottom line for raising them is you have to allow their natural pack order, and YOU have to be the Alpha animal in that pack. I live in the deep south. (N.W., Florida) It's as country as country gets here, and folks like their privacy. You get a pair of Presa's, and even the census people won't come on your land.

That being said... They are the most loyal, and affectionate animals I have ever come across. You can not keep them off your hip. I have 2 packs of 4 dogs each. The packs HAVE to remain separated due to their nature so I alternate between inside dogs, and outside dogs. When the dogs are in the house it's like a switch is flipped. Non stop love fest. When they are in their yard... well, no one bothers my still.

I do understand your point but these are not Pits. These are tiger sharks in dog suits.

Zombie

Postby Zombie » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:05 am

I tried to edit but did so too late.
the only point I wanted to add is these are not dogs for people that want house pets. I raise them as such only because I have the time to commit to them.
My daughter is grown, my wife has found "greener pastures" so it is me, and my dog suit wearing sharks.
This one is not mine. Just an example...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Zombie

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:57 pm

JayD wrote:I am happy to let this thread run it's course however if it takes a turn for the worse I will bin the thread, remember folks we all know what other forums are not user friendly...even the ones that first welcome then hammer the newbie for having his/her own opinion. On Modern your opinion is welcome as long as it is not hurt full or antagonistic. :handgestures-thumbupright: I have witnessed innocent folks marked as trolls and statements of dishonesty placed on members names and they can not defend themselves at all, as seen below... I think actions like these mentioned are despicable and slanderous in nature. :teasing-tease:

notrusted.png

I haven't posted on MD for six months of more but I just saw my new avitar that I've had dscribed to me .Very nice.
Naturally I have had a little sneaky over there and a a guest I must say it looks squeaky clean and very informative .
Guess its only when you become a member there do you see all the not so glamourous parts .
Yummyrum

Postby emptyglass » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:05 pm

JayD wrote:I am happy to let this thread run it's course however if it takes a turn for the worse I will bin the thread, remember folks we all know what other forums are not user friendly...even the ones that first welcome then hammer the newbie for having his/her own opinion. On Modern your opinion is welcome as long as it is not hurt full or antagonistic. :handgestures-thumbupright: I have witnessed innocent folks marked as trolls and statements of dishonesty placed on members names and they can not defend themselves at all, as seen below... I think actions like these mentioned are despicable and slanderous in nature. :teasing-tease:

notrusted.png

Thanks for posting that Jay, I'm sure now you've seen it once you'll see it again.
Its a sad place that has to continue to put down members who's right of reply has been taken away. Kinda like talking ill of a dead man.
Its good to know that private messages here are indeed private and not monitored by paranoid eyes.
:handgestures-thumbupright:
My page
Making stuff for members
emptyglass

Location: Usually the shed, sometimes the cellar. Central Vic, Australia.

Postby Zombie Killer » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:57 pm

Its not bad here. like the attitude. might just pull up a chair and stay awhile.
Texada went in and out of the news. Its association with" illegal intoxicants" dates back to 1928 when the biggest whisky still north of Vancouver was busted in romantic Pocahontas Bay. ZOMBIE KILLER....................
Zombie Killer

Postby Zombie » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:13 pm

We can be BFF's?
Like my dogs hanging w/ the cats?

You picked a great site Killer. No doubt there.

Zombie

Postby sup-bro? » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:01 pm

Like many here I've been a member of many of the forums alluded to.
Apart from the bad attitudes and "Do some research" comments, most forums have something to offer.

I particularly like this forum for the recipes.
Keep up the good work guys. :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbupright:
Sup-bro?
sup-bro?

Postby JayD » Tue May 12, 2015 8:46 pm

One of the forums that I belong to took off like crazy and I thought it was a great place to be and belong. I made a lot of contributions at the beginning as did many members. Along the way a member was burned by another member on something they had purchased but not received, this created bad feelings as it got very heated and both members were part of the administrative team which complicated matters even more. The result was a mass exiting of the forum by members on one side of the fence. This created a problem as all of their posts were deleted upon request and that left threads that no longer made sense. Today I am lucky if I visit the forum once a week and even then it seems like there is nothing new to catch up on.

I recently read this on another forum and thought "how ironic" how many times in your life have you experienced your friendly neighbour slowly going about his maintenance on his house, which I might add you done too..but a year or so ago, but just long enough for your neighbour to forget about how his house was out of order, being rude to new members and not really helpful at all, then once they feel safe from mention they then turn around and bag out their neighbour?...hypocritical ? I think so. Forums are made up of members new and old, if the old can not post due to reasons they only know.... then thats their bad luck...I will not waste my time or bandwidth on their loss. This forum is about safe hobby distillation, helping folks learn the art and science of distillation and making friends online with the same hobby. Being Admin of a forum is not easy, my time is valuable which I might add I and the Mod team give freely...we make hard calls regarding the running of Modern Distillers and we know we can not please all parties...however we do so with good hearts and truth. In finishing "Modern Distillers is not for all" it is for all that have left behind malice and only want friendship and camaraderie of like minded people. I feel this thread has run it's course and I have chosen to lock it.

JayD
Admin
Modern Distillers.
JayD

Return to What do you want from this forum