the modern distiller

Oak barrels - buying, prices, shipping, etc

for sale or wanted by forum members.

Oak barrels - buying, prices, shipping, etc

Postby bigfoot » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Hi all,

So I was in a lucky position recently and managed to purchase a brand new 10 litre med char oak barrel for au$100.
It turned up today and it is awesome.
This evening I started searching and also called a few friends who work in cooperages.
So the retail price for a locally produced 20 litre barrel is $378. With mates rates, I can knock a little over a hundred off that price...for 1. They will do better for a decent order.
But - the person whom sold me the 10 litre barrel for $100 has also advised they might be able to offer a few more at prices only a little higher...
I then hit ebay extended and found some 20l barrels out of the Ukraine - brand new eu oak with medium char, with stand and tap - for $180au plus 40 delivery...that's cheaper than mates rates and they WILL do better for bulk buys.
I then hit alibaba and OMG...after filtering the crap ones that are lined or from ppl who use glue, there are some wonderful SH(port/wine) 200litre offerings for $100 each plus postage. I am dubious of alibaba...not had great experiences with quality.

Is anyone interested in maybe trying to set up a bulk buy from an OS supplier? Or even if i contacted my friends at the cooperage.
Does anyone have any contacts that might supply cheaper to the group?
I am looking for about 5 barrels personally, between 10 and 50 litres. I don't mind setting up the transaction but payment must be contributed by individuals.
The reason I have put prices up, is so ppl can have an estimate on what $$$ might be in play with buying these barrels.

Please reply with a EOI at this stage so I can ascertain firm $$$.
I will have to keep this inside Aussie at present as postage charges/plans are too difficult to work out for other countries.
Cheers
Bf.
bigfoot

Re: Oak barrels - buying, prices, shipping, etc

Postby bigfoot » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:52 pm

Ps - if you are not comfortable posting up your requests, please pm me your wants, including;
How many barrels of what literate with type of char.
Cheers bf.
bigfoot

Postby Bushman » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:31 am

Wow, that is a great price. For my birthday my wife ordered a 10L barrel with custom print on front of barrel and I believe with tax and shipping it came to around $168 US.
I started my liquid diet and so far it seems to be working! I've already lost two days.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
Bushman

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:05 am

A barrel seller in the Puget Sound area. I couldn't find any prices.
http://www.craftbarrelsupply.com/
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob-books/making-fine-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But..
Zymurgy Bob

Postby Bushman » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:33 am

Interesting ZB that they use American White Oak but ship it to Europe for drying and forming then shipped back to the states. Seems like an added expense.
I started my liquid diet and so far it seems to be working! I've already lost two days.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
Bushman

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:32 am

It does seem like an odd business model, doesn't it? I guess we'll see how long it works.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob-books/making-fine-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But..
Zymurgy Bob

Postby bigfoot » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:31 am

These seem like decent value - made from EU oak.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-two-Black- ... SwPhdVU2AB
Bf.
bigfoot

Postby Tassie Tiger » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:43 am

Hi BF, there,s a cooper in Bridgewater behind the Cove Hill supermarket complex.
If you turn off at KFC & keep going down the road I think it's in the coldasack opposite the MOO BREW brewery.
CHEERS TT
Tassie Tiger

Postby bigfoot » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:09 am

Hi TT - a close friend works there and I know the owner quite well. They are quite exxy even with mates rates - $260 for 10 litres on mates rates...for a resized JB or JD barrel.
I have found an alternate supplier from Europe - a lot cheaper, (half price of local retail) for a brand new french oak barrels with medium toast. They can do 5 litre to 50 litre barrels with gorgeous little wooden taps, pick your bandings and free burn logo if required. I need to order a certain quantity to get low prices but these guys are knocking out quality work, very cheaply.... [edit]...post your interest in this thread.
Bf.
Last edited by JayD on Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: group buys are permissible by our rules...commercial ventures unfortunately are not unless cleared by management.
bigfoot

Postby JayD » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:10 pm

I have moved this thread into the classifieds as it close to turning into a comercial venture...group buys are allowed...so if your interested in these barrels put your hand up in the open forum. :handgestures-thumbupright:
JayD

Postby minpac » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:18 pm

I'm haven't started distilling as yet - just in the research phase. I do have a 20L port barrel from Seppeltsfield, which was fairly expensive.

I would probably be interested in a 20L barrel(or 2x 10L) if the price came in around the AUD $200 mark. I'm in Queensland. I'd done some looking into this a while ago, and given up at finding something at that price, and was considering ageing in large glass bottles with charred dominoes.

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/2291803 ... with-black
I'd also asked the question on a small quantity from the above(might be the same company -AUD $167 each), but the shipping quote came back as USD$140 for two barrels, which obviously kills it.
minpac

Return to Classified Ad's