the modern distiller

Ask Darek Bell

Come meet one of our Professors who will guide you through the process of becoming a "god of the still"..before asking ...do search often the answer has already been explained.

Re: Ask Darek Bell

Postby Prospector » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:33 am

Your book arrived last week and I have already read it several times. Very few of us have 100 gallon stills. Do you see any problems with scaling down the mash bills? I am already in the process of making a cold smoker for meats, so I am anxious to try it with grains. Back to sassafras. I often flavor finished bourbon with sassafras. You mention it in your books index, but when you go to that page it talks about persimmon? And finally, just wanted to say thanks for all the help and ideas you are giving us.
Prospector

Postby WhiskeyD » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:35 am

No problem with scaling down the recipes. That is partially why I made them 100 gallon, as that is an easy number to scale. When I first started 5 gallons was about the smallest barrel you could get, but now it is easy to get much smaller barrels for aging small batches.

HAPPY DISTILLING!
Darek Bell
Corsair Distillery
2013 "Craft Distillery of the Year" and "Innovator of the Year" -- Whisky Magazine
Corsair Triple Smoke, 2013 "Artisan Whisky of the Year" Whisky Advocate Magazine
WhiskeyD

Postby crozdog » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:08 pm

Hi Derek,

Just got your book. Some great reading there thanks.

I have a couple of questions on your process I hope you can answer.

1. Several recipes state you do a cereal mash and boil for 2 hours. Can you please describe your equipment for doing this and how you ensure the mash doesn't burn? Do you use steam? It looks like you use gas burners, but do you use a false bottom? What liquid to grist ration do you use? how do you stir the gloop?

2. All recipes state that you lauter at 170f. How do you lauter? Do you simply open the valve and drain through the false bottom? Or do you use a separate process?

3. When loitering, do you sparge at all - either batch or fly to extract the maximum sugars from the mash?

4. Enzymes. In your 100% recipes you mention using enzymes but don't provide any details of what you use or the process follow. Also do you add any enzymes when you cook the corn or millet?

Thanks in advance

Crozdog
crozdog

Previous

Return to The University of Fine Distilling