the modern distiller

AirStill and general still 1st timer

A still made of Air..."who would have thunk it"

AirStill and general still 1st timer

Postby Dave12 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:20 pm

Hey,

As the title says I am still and AirStill 1st timer, meaning I haven't ran a run yet but am about too. I have made a TPW which is almost ready, a few more days fermenting and then time to cool and clear.

My question is, I am very wary of running the AirStill in the house and have no where else, apart from in the garden I can run It off. I have read guides about strip and spirit runs and puking, which is what brothers me ( puking ). I have conditioner for the strip and also ceramic bead things, but I am still wary. Am sure after one run I will be less worried about a puke and or worse.

I wondered if anyone has any other tips or advice.

Thanks
Dave
Dave12

Re: AirStill and general still 1st timer

Postby BennyHiggo » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:45 pm

You will have no issues with puking running a TPW wash mate.
The air still is 100% designed to be run indoors on a bench top.
Have a look at the attached cuts guide which is specific to air stilling
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BennyHiggo

Postby Yummyrum » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:07 pm

Hi dave
Welcolme to distilling :handgestures-thumbupright:

Benny's right .you wont get puking with a tpw wash ...Mollases or grain most likely .
Funny ...or sad ...depends how you read it is that the Airstill is a pot still and it id Ideally suitable for making Rums from Mollases or whiskeys from grain ....it id least suited to making nutral ( vodka) drinks from Washes like TPW ....you really need a reflux still to get the best from a TPW type wash .

Having said that if you follow the guide Benny gave you , you will be basically double distilling so it will get you close....just a bloody lot of work .

Sorry ...TPW though a pot still will be shit loads better than turbo yeast wash through a pot still but you will still need to do agresive cuts and multiple runs to get it close to a nutral drink .
Yummyrum

Postby BennyHiggo » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:43 am

It will still be a LOT better than anything made from Turdbo and you have the added benefit of knowing exactly what you are putting in to your body.
But it has to be said that TPW is designed for neutral. The air still is not designed for neutral it's designed for convenience. I would highly recommend making your next wash a WBAB (weetbix allbran). Double distill that through your pot and you will have something with some light natural flavour that you can be proud to call your own :handgestures-thumbupright:
BennyHiggo

Postby kimbodious » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:28 am

A colleague is using an Airstill (and Turbo Yeast). I gave him the details for double distilling and he's really happy with the results. Next thing is to convince him to give the TPW recipe a try.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular SS Pot Still 2"
Modular SS CCVM Reflux Column 2"
Modular SS Gin Head 2"
kimbodious

Postby Dave12 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:29 pm

Thanks for all the helpful replies, looking forward to my first distilling.
Dave12

Return to Airstills