the modern distiller

copper polishing

All the other bits we rely upon to make our Hobby work

copper polishing

Postby hudsonbay distillers » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:24 am

hello everyone i have some older copper equipment that i would like to polish up to mirror finish and then seal it so it stays that way , does anyone have any home remedies for this kinda project . some people love the old penny look but to me it looks like shit beside the stainless equipment . thanks
tim
hudsonbay distillers

Re: copper polishing

Postby Rockchucker » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:23 pm

I use jewelers rouge and high temp laquer.
Rockchucker

Postby Swedish Pride » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:30 am

i thought they always go a bit duller irregardless of what you do to it?
Don't be a dick
Swedish Pride

Postby crow » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:41 am

No height temp coating will keep them shinning but a bit of care and ongoing maintenance might be required.
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,we borrow it from our Children.
native American proverb
crow

Postby Rockchucker » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:51 am

I don’t know crow, I laquered mine 3 years ago and it still looks new .... on the outside. I used engine high temp clear
Rockchucker

Postby JayD » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:25 pm

I believe coating your still will keep it shining for years however once the coating starts deteriorate it will be pain to clean up again, now this hear say, but it does make sense.
JayD

Postby Rockchucker » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:19 pm

JayD wrote:I believe coating your still will keep it shining for years however once the coating starts deteriorate it will be pain to clean up again, now this hear say, but it does make sense.

I believe that to be true, although this is the first time I sealed a still, all others patinas nicely
Rockchucker

Postby Otago Elvis » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:40 am

JayD wrote:I believe coating your still will keep it shining for years however once the coating starts deteriorate it will be pain to clean up again, now this hear say, but it does make sense.

Agreed.

I've long considered coating my still, however I have held back for this reason.
Otago Elvis

Postby crow » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:04 pm

Thing is if I was a commercial craft stiller and was conducting tours of the still operations then a coating is a no brainer. You don't want potential customers looking at patina or mess, most will not understand the reasons for it.
native American proverb
crow

Postby S-Cackalacky » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:35 am

crow wrote:Thing is if I was a commercial craft stiller and was conducting tours of the still operations then a coating is a no brainer. You don't want potential customers looking at patina or mess, most will not understand the reasons for it.

Crow, don't know if you visited this distillery when you were in the US. It's the Belmont Farms Distillery near Culpepper, Virginia. The still dates back to pre-prohibition times. Notice the layer of dust on the equipment. This is indicative of the quality of their product. The distillery is also featured in the TV series, Moonshiners - if that tells you anything. So, I agree that the appearance of the equipment goes a long way in conveying something of the integrity of the product and the impression left on the public.
BF still room.jpg

That said, my still lives in my basement out of the public eye and I don't give a hoot what it looks like as long as it produces good product.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
S-Cackalacky

Postby crow » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:12 am

No I didn't, the day we went out touring Varocketry asked if we wanted to go to Culpeper, Percival and near by or both. Culpeper was in the wrong direction to realistically do both districts justice so we chose the closest to allow us time to see a distillery and brewery at leasure but I have seen that or similar photo before. Moonshiners :lol: yeah they'd loose cred if they cleaned up, I picture Platt valley fermentors as banged up rusty 55 gal tar drums. :handgestures-thumbupright:
native American proverb
crow

Postby Bushman » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:20 am

Interesting observation. Reminds me years ago I was staying at a condo in Escandido, CA and we had a man come and talk about producing wine. He said he buys a lot of his grapes from others and one thing he looks for is how clean the rows are between the vines. His thought was if they take that kind of care in their vinard then they probably produce better grapes.
I started my liquid diet and so far it seems to be working! I've already lost two days.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
Bushman

Postby S-Cackalacky » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:56 am

Crow, you didn't miss anything by not visiting the Culpepper distillery. The most heads laden crap I ever tasted. It's an embarrassment to American distilling. I still have the Purcelville distillery on my list to visit. Maybe after the wife is back to good health.

Bush, I guess a person's work ethic goes a long way in how the public views their overall integrity in conducting their business.
S-Cackalacky

Postby hudsonbay distillers » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:56 pm

thanks for the info everyone we will sure try the high temp products . and i totally agree with everyone about having a good look to your equipment , we try and keep everything spotless as possible . hell my wife has me changing into clean shoes and we wear white lab coats while working in the distillery , i guess the bottom line is this is a food product were producing . i dont think our food and health inspectors would be very impressed if they showed up and we were wearing greasy bib overalls with no shirts or shoes on .lol
tim
hudsonbay distillers

Postby Copperhead road » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:36 pm

I have some interest in this thread as my 5 plate column will be finished shortly, I have paid the extra to have it mirror finished but unsure if I should put a clear coat on it once I receive it or to just let it patina naturally starting from mirror finish. :confusion-confused:

I thought you would get a better all over patina if you started originally with mirror as the base.
Not sure which way to go.... any suggestions??
"Stillbilly wars is the sound of a propane jet in the dead of night"
Copperhead road

Postby crow » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:11 am

well you've seen a picture of my set up, the glassware don't even shine. That said if I paid the big bux to get one all shone up I think I would seriously consider coating it
native American proverb
crow

Postby S-Cackalacky » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:52 am

I don't mind my stuff looking as antique as I do as long as it's clean. Big difference between patina and dirt. Also, patina requires no maintenance. If you shine it up and spray lacquer on it, at some point down the road, you'll probably need to redo it.
S-Cackalacky

Postby Copperhead road » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:54 pm

crow wrote:well you've seen a picture of my set up, the glassware don't even shine. That said if I paid the big bux to get one all shone up I think I would seriously consider coating it

Thanks Crowman, I run it by emptyglass also and his thoughts were the same as yours. That being said empty is going to clear coat it once he finishes polishing it. :bow-blue:
Copperhead road

Postby Copperhead road » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:57 pm

S-Cackalacky wrote:
crow wrote:Thing is if I was a commercial craft stiller and was conducting tours of the still operations then a coating is a no brainer. You don't want potential customers looking at patina or mess, most will not understand the reasons for it.

Crow, don't know if you visited this distillery when you were in the US. It's the Belmont Farms Distillery near Culpepper, Virginia. The still dates back to pre-prohibition times. Notice the layer of dust on the equipment. This is indicative of the quality of their product. The distillery is also featured in the TV series, Moonshiners - if that tells you anything. So, I agree that the appearance of the equipment goes a long way in conveying something of the integrity of the product and the impression left on the public.
BF still room.jpg

That said, my still lives in my basement out of the public eye and I don't give a hoot what it looks like as long as it produces good product.

@s-Cackalacky that pot still looks like awesome old school thick gauge copper, wonder if they still would make copper that thick nowadays :confusion-confused:
Thanks for sharing pic bro, very cool stuff indeed :text-goodpost:
Copperhead road

Postby hudsonbay distillers » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:01 am

morning was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to point me in direction to a step by step tutorial on mirror polishing copper , the do and donts . thanks
tim
hudsonbay distillers

Postby Copperhead road » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:36 pm

hudsonbay distillers wrote:morning was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to point me in direction to a step by step tutorial on mirror polishing copper , the do and donts . thanks
tim

I would suggest contact emptyglass through the custom copper still components forum, he really knows his stuff and is very helpful. He is mirror polishing my column and rig as we speak.. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Hope Doc does not mind I have mentioned another forum as I was only trying to be helpful not trying to break the rules here. :naughty:
Copperhead road

Postby crow » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:15 pm

This is pintashine's video same bloke who is the enzymes guy out a Lexington KY.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
native American proverb
crow

Postby Rockchucker » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:34 am

hudsonbay distillers wrote:morning was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to point me in direction to a step by step tutorial on mirror polishing copper , the do and donts . thanks
tim

I used a polishing wheel on my grinder with jewelers rouge.
Rockchucker

Postby hudsonbay distillers » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:28 am

good stuff thanks guys for the info and video , side note shermans enzymes are incredible .
tim
hudsonbay distillers

Return to Accessories