the modern distiller

hose set ups

All the other bits we rely upon to make our Hobby work

hose set ups

Postby brisvalleymoonshiner » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:30 am

any chance could you fine people post some photos of your hose set ups for your stills just wanting ideas of whats the best way to set these up
or chime with the answer to the old question " If i could have set this up again i would .........."

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
brisvalleymoonshiner

Re: hose set ups

Postby The Baker » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:44 pm

Hi,
This is the simplest situation but is not easy to describe...! Maybe one day I will figure out photos....
The fellow who does my son's refrigeration work at the bakery soldered (silver soldered? not my field) the liebig condenser for my little six litre pot still. (It is angled, not vertical).
It was kind of him, did it for free; BUT he did not follow the picture I gave him, he fixed the water inlet- and outlet copper tubes ABOVE the condenser. (A heavy duty water 'hose' fixes on to them.)
His idea was to obviate the possibility of air bubbles in the condenser.
BUT I had planned the inlet and outlet so that they were far enough apart to not be affected by heat rising from the gas burner. Just maybe tie the hoses back a bit, away from the heat....
Simple, eh?
But now I have to devise something to hold the hoses up and direct them away from the heat. It would have been simple if they were hanging down. PITA.
I may or may not insert a right angle fitting in each hose to point it sideways; I may insert a second one so that the water hose is pointing downwards and hang the hose up at that point. Could be simpler.
Bet you did not think of that one!
Geoff
The Baker

Postby kimbodious » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:21 pm

You don't want water leaks near your collection vessel or your electrics. With that in mind I took my inlet and outlet hoses down to the floor and then about 1 metre extra before I put in the connections to the garden hoses.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular SS Pot Still 2"
Modular SS CCVM Reflux Column 2"
Modular SS Gin Head 2"
kimbodious

Postby S-Cackalacky » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:40 pm

For the connections on a liebig (or shotgun), use 90 degree fittings pointing downward. This will help prevent vinyl hoses from kinking. Use double sided velcro tape to help manage the hoses. If you are supplying water to more than one condenser (RC and PC), use a "Y" splitter on the source hose with independent flow valves to direct and control coolant water separately to each condenser.
S-Cackalacky

Postby The Baker » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:16 am

Thanks, S-Cackalacky.
I hadn't thought of the velcro.
Geoff
The Baker

Return to Accessories