the modern distiller

My control panel

All the other bits we rely upon to make our Hobby work

My control panel

Postby crozdog » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:45 pm

I've posted this elsewhere, but thought the MD community would appreciate it / could use some of the ideas.

First up, a big thanks to Swede for the PWM info & the idea to switch the control ground rather than the positive. I can now control each outlet via PID control, PWM (it allows me to vary each outlet's output from 5-95%) or 100%.

I wired in a contactor for the EPO and modified a server power supply for the 12vdc feed (used for PWM module, 100% & radiator fan).

Bought the cabinet of evilbay (it came out of the old mitsubishi plant in Adelaide & had the din rails, some circuit breakers, switches & wiring in place), the contractor, PWM modules, 20 & 32A outlets and 3 way switches were also sourced off evilbay. The PID's, SSR's and heatsinks are from Auber Instruments. The terminal blocks were from the local electrical wholesaler

Really happy with how it turned out. I'll be using this to control my herms too - but thats another project
small control panel outside.jpg

small control panel inside.jpg

brewery control panel wiring pid control.jpg

brewery control panel wiring 3 way control.jpg

OK, now the warning, electricity can be dangerous. Don't stuff with it if you don't know what you are doing!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crozdog

Re: My control panel

Postby Maheel » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:04 pm

crozdog wrote:
First up, a big thanks to Swede for the PWM info & the idea to switch the control ground rather than the positive. I can now control each outlet via PID control, PWM (it allows me to vary each outlet's output from 5-95%) or 100%.

OK, now the warning, electricity can be dangerous. Don't stuff with it if you don't know what you are doing!

what does switching the "control ground" mean ?

great control box !!

i like how it has the " Speed to be adjusted" sign :)
VM / Boka / ?
Shotgun Pot head
50L electric Kegs
and associated shed filling stuff......
Maheel

Postby crozdog » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:44 pm

maheel - if you look at the wiring diagram you'll see that the 3 way switch switches the ground (-) to the SSR rather than switching the +ve

LoO - I got the box from a guy on flea bay in Adelaide - http://stores.ebay.com.au/Blackbox-Industrial-Surplus was the guy - they have a lot of interesting stuff including process automation control stuff. he has a cabinet with 2 pids & bits for $295 at present
crozdog

Postby TassieStiller » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:00 am

I might have to have a chat at some stage Law of Ohms if my box ends up being too small. I will have it built and wired up by the end of this week. Photo will then be posted :D
Emptyglass designed and manafactured 4 inch, 5 plate reflux column
50L boiler with home built auto voltage controller on 3600W Element
TassieStiller

Postby Prairiepiss » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:13 am

Very nice. I was about to send you a pm to ask a few questions. Swede pointed me in your direction. I looking at incorporating a ramp soak PID in my brewing controller. How is yours working for you? Will it work good for a step mash?

Thanks for the wire diagrams.
I am not the distiller your were looking for!
Prairiepiss

Postby crozdog » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:18 am

PP I bought the ramp soak model so I could do step mashing. EDIT: I forgot to say a lot of guys use the same Auberins ramp soak PID for step mashing with rims or herms.

I have built a herms & worked out the step programs, but have not yet put em to use - been having too much fun with the new SD bits ;-)

Here is the programming I have worked out after doing a lot of trawling
PID_PROGRAMMING.xls.zip

Hope that helps you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crozdog

Postby Prairiepiss » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:39 am

Thanks for the reply. I downloaded it. Will have to download it to a computer later and check it out. I'm a long way out from making a full controller I would use the ramp and soak PID in. So please keep us informed on how it works out. I will be building a basic controller to get me by till funding is available. Since I've almost got my kettles all done. And I'm itching to get it going.

But I do really like the switching idea. And I mite use it. Just change it a little.
I am not the distiller your were looking for!
Prairiepiss

Return to Accessories